Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco N-Gauge Code 55 Point Wiring Help Needed  (Read 197 times)

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Peco N-Gauge Code 55 Point Wiring Help Needed
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:13:41 am »
Hi all

Hopefully a quick question

The instructions for Peco OO Gauge electrofrog points  show how to modify them to power the fog, ie using bridging wires and cutting links etc but their instructions for the N gauge versions make no mention of these modifications

Are the n gauge versions modified in the same way or is there a different option needed.

I have had a look at were the link wires should be and cannot see how to cut the link without doing terminal damage.

Thanks for any help with this

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
Re: Peco N-Gauge Code 55 Point Wiring Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 11:41:35 am »
There is no need to modify them but cutting things (vandalism!!).

I power the frog via an external microswitch or accessory switch and use wire from this connecting to one of the rail joiners that attach to the frog. This allows easy removal of the turnout (no wiring to it explicitly) if there's a problem. This switching is in addition to the power switching provided by the blades - this can prove unreliable.

The usual rules of use of insulating rail joiners for electrofrogs are necessary.

Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:11:19 pm »
The instructions you're seeing are probably about disconnecting the blades from the live frog and bonding the blades to the nearby running rail - this is the so-called "DCC friendly" modification to prevent shorts when flanges pass between the open blade.   

Some folk think this is necessary to do for N gauge points, others don't because the flangeway between the blades is proportionally wider in N.     Personally I've never bothered with this mod, but yes I do fit a changeover switch and power the frog frm it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:22:22 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline terrysoham

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22528
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:51:14 pm »
We have an exhibition layout with Dcc friendly points and one without.
On balance, I would go for the Dcc friendly method.  This involves:
Fitting insulated rail joiners to the rails connecting to the two frog rails
Cutting through the fixed track after the hinge section but before the frog.
Soldering the fixed piece of rail after the hinge section but before the frog to the adjacent stock rail,  the two wires can then act both as track feeds and go to the frog switch.
Soldering a wire to the frog.
Use a microswitch or a Peco PL13 switch operated from the tie bar or, preferably a Tortoise or Cobalt point motor but not the switch on a Seep which is very difficult to align.
Belt and braces I agree but essential for an exhibition layout.   Less necessary but desirable for a non-exhibition one.
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of Neely, modern N scale representation of Ely, available for exhibitions

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
March Donations

Advertise Here