!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Standards dropping?  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Standards dropping?
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2018, 09:56:32 am »

I look forward to adverts from BR Lines and DCC Supplies like "Got any locos needing a repair? Contact us now for instant action" :D

I recently contacted Bob at BRlines re a DMU bogie and he said he wasn't accepting any more repairs until June.   :'(

That's not bad actually, Caz. I recommended BR lines to a chap about 3 weeks ago and he was told the wait would be 13 weeks! :o

I can do repairs on both if folk need quicker - I just repaired @Newportnobby's Dapol 9F.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline longbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2018, 10:01:08 am »
Alan - you have a PM

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2018, 11:33:43 pm »
I don't actually think Dapol's standards are dropping- or Farish's for that matter.

I have a large (and I mean well into three figures) fleet of UK outline steamers, and about 40 diesels at present.  To that add in the fifty or so Continental locos I'm beginning to get above the "statistically insignificant" proportion of output.  I have very few problem children in amongst that lot - an A4 which defies all attempts to get its bogie to track properly turning right (it turns left without an issue) and an A1 that prefers the company of BR Lines to mine (just back after its 4th repair), together with high mileage wear and tear items.

In general-
I've found Fleischmann, Piko, Arnold and Minitrix to be just as poor when it comes to their rate of poor runners/decoration discrepancies as the UK manufacturers.

I also run OO and have a 100% poor QC rate with Heljan- bits dropping off randomly- a punter at a show commenting that a the diesel in front of him has just shed its buffer beam is an interesting conversation starter....  Likewise some of the QC threads under Hornby, Bachmann etc on RMWeb make interesting reading.

When a Chinese assembler has a bad period it tends to affect a number of locos close together- my three poor Farish 4MTTs returned to Hattons were probably assembled by the same worker within 30 mins- and not that well assembled.  My tip here is if you send something back get the replacement tested and you may actually have more luck changing shops for a replacement.

Both Dapol and Bachmann work very hard to design errors out of their products- Dapol get more stick partly because they are somewhat more upfront in admitting problems than Farish. 

On repairs- DCC Supplies are a lot faster than BR Lines, but also a little more expensive.  if a loco out of warranty develops a problem I can't fix easily that loco goes off for an overhaul as part of its repair.  My locos work hard for their keep- each loco on Hawthorn Dene covers a mile each day the layout is on show- and there are 22 of the fleet doing that daily mile.  At Ally Pally only one loco of any make failed completely over the two days of the show- a Union Mills J27's motor packed up.

Les

Offline Dickydcc

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2018, 08:05:51 pm »
Not sure if this is anything to go by but there  is nothing for sale in the DCC supplies Dapol outlet section at the moment. Could standards be improving?

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2018, 09:00:13 pm »
D C C didnt have many  rejects on their stand over the weekend at Thornbury show either  .
What does that signify ,Andy had been too busy to check and grade  them or there arent so many now.
Bob Tidbury

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2018, 09:44:33 pm »
There was around 25 on their website yesterday as I was having a look at what they had.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2018, 09:59:58 pm »
Fiona's away the mice are at play  :D

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2018, 10:06:44 pm »
Dont know if its just me and the bad luck that follows closely behind me as I am a fall into a barrel of roses and come out smelling of Sh*te type of guy, but of all the dapol N-Gauge Locos I have owned

Two, 0-6-0 Tanks both ran like dogs
One, 9F, kept losing its dog bone and the front bogie would never stay on
One, Class 33, Noisy as hell
One, Class 35 even noisier than hell
One, Class 52 this one is actually ok
One, Class 66 issues with one LED faulty out of the box

So out of Seven all but one has issues, don't think I will bother with any more, which is a shame as I fancy their class 68.

Paul

Just as an update to the above, I have been tempted by a few more dapols, results below

Class 68 arrived safe and sound and is a faultless runner

Class 22 arrived safe and sound and its a faultless runner

Class 27 arrived safe and sound and is a faultless runner

Class 66 to replace the one with faulty light arrived safe and sound and is a faultless runner

So it looks like my Dapol luck is improving, hope it holds out for the Class 50

Also an update on the Class 35, the noise turned out to be one of the gears not clipped in place properly during assembly and now it's been fitted correctly it too is now nice and quiet.

The 33 is now a lot quieter after a very long run in session.

Paul

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2018, 10:12:22 pm »
The class 35 does not surprise me.  I have fixed a lot of Dapol models and its almost always an assembly fault. 

Having said that there was a lot of three class 68 units on sale as faulty on eBay last night, and one had a melted hole in its roof  :o

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2018, 12:28:20 am »
I have had nothing but good luck on my new purchase Dapol products, however my secondhand purchases have been mixed, some I bought knowing they had issues, it also is unfair to hold Dapol to any standard for these models, there is no way to know if it was the factory or a ham fisted previous owner that caused the issues (not running a model in, not oiling the models properly etc etc).

My class 86 fleet is still growing and I have one with a completely fried PCB, it seems on these they fail more than other locos, but again not all purchases have been new items.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:29:33 am by Intercity »
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2018, 12:31:48 am »
There was around 25 on their website yesterday as I was having a look at what they had.

There is nothing today - it's all either out of stock, or nothing showing.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2018, 03:14:38 pm »
I bought 3 Grade B A4s and found loads of electrical problems with them. Reported all to DCC supplies, next day all locos had gone from the website. Coincidence?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2018, 03:10:43 pm »
Oh dear. I took delivery yesterday of 10 x Dapol 20T weathered mineral wagons and 4 (so 40%) couldn't even roll off a railer onto the track. On inspection the wheels on those 4 weren't seated in their axle boxes properly. Even when I wiggled them into the sockets they would not roll more than 3-4" when given a push. At least now I know they won't derail on points which was my concern. :unimpressed:

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2018, 10:46:04 pm »
Well my 68 has just completed its run in cycle and its already lost 2 handrails, and no sign of them on the test track, which is a simple oval of unballasted track, so that's £15 for replacements.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:20:11 pm by Paul-H »

Offline Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2018, 06:04:04 pm »
Paul

DCC Supplies sent my a replacement set of 68 handrails free of charge, they said they were aware of the issue of handrails falling off and the factory had been made aware

I did call Fiona on the issue first

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here