!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Standards dropping?  (Read 5835 times)

Offline simong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20842
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Standards dropping?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2018, 09:59:40 pm »
My experience is that the Dapol engines I have bought have had no issues but I have had issues with two Farish locos and have bought a similar number from each over the last two years.  Also think the Dapol class 26,27,56 and 58 are cracking models.  Having Dapol around has also put pressure on Bachmann to work hard to be the best so that is another bonus.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2018, 10:14:53 pm »
Did anyone else, like me, sign up to Dapol Digest (their own forum) in the hope we'd get faster, up to date news and be able to talk to Dapol about faults, praise them where applicable, suggest potential future releases etc.............only to find they just couldn't really be bothered themselves with it.

Two years ago I suggested the following when the Digest was announced...

It'll be interesting to see how this forum develops. I think it can go two ways:
  • It becomes the best place for Dapol and the modelling community to discuss things. Dapol can listen to feedback, share updates on items in development, promote new items upon release, and get ideas for new products.
  • Most of the contributions from modellers are complaints, and Dapol invest very little themselves beyond copying-and-pasting press releases, so the whole thing becomes a bit of a embarrassment.

So I guess you'd be more included towards Option 2 being the way things actually turned out?

I signed up imagining Option 1 would be wonderful but instead I ended up with Option 2. I put up a vid of my noisy class 33 and a similarly noisy replacement and that's when Joel told me I was unlucky.
I really think they don't care any more, and that's the shame.

Offline leachsprite4

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2018, 07:55:06 am »
As a note on the dapol digest, why join when all can be seen without being a member, unless you want the dapol club section for which you have to be a dapol club member.

The digest has gone the way anticipated as latest news is not released there. Simply compare the threads for the BoB, b-set and maunsell coaches with the product update pages and compare those with what is actually happening.

Many a person has said you know a dapol release date when you've got the model in your hand.

As for quality of models I ceased buying dapol locos when the BoB got paused. In due course the money I had went to farish on 4 n classes. I have since been given some dapol locos as presents all of which are fine but the matt finish just does not look right.

This said the finish on the maunsell coaches in lined green looks very smart and the crimson b set coaches looks much improved.

The best dapol loco visually is the class 68 I just can't justify the price of one for my layout.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 10:19:46 am »
I actually sold some stock to buy my Chiltern 68 and it is a realy great loco.it is so smooth and very quiet ,its way out of the era for my layout but it was a must have as my son and daughter both work for Chiltern ,at the moment it is pulling my Wrexham and Shropshire  set of coaches untill Dapol bring out the Chiltern mainline set .I am a real rule one man and you would be very surprised at the things I run on my layout ,But thats the point of this hobby to chill.out and relax and enjoy the fantastic models on.offer now.
I actually think the quality is going up now at last , but we will see what happens in the future .
Bob Tidbury.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:21:09 am by Bob Tidbury »

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 01:13:41 pm »
I also suggested the B-Sets in BR Crimson livery on their Digest and they responded saying they were interested. Now I am not going to claim they produced them just because I asked for them but there is at least some evidence that they listen to suggestions on there.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 02:04:37 pm »

THE point is, there are  bound to be some rejects in all makes because they are hand assembled by someone who probably isnt paid a lot for their work  plus we ALL have had a bad day at work for whatever reason .
The only way you can stop things like this happening is to buy from small companies that have complete control over their product such as Union Mills Models  where you dont get the detail from the bigger boys but every loco is tested and run in before you get it ,or someone like Revolution where you get the detail and the product is designed and tested by people who are modelers themselves and made by a Firm like Rapido who again have complete control over the manufacture in their own factories  and are passionate about trains and even then  theve have had a few problems as noted on here by a couple of members .
So lets all be grateful for what we get and be a little bit more tolerant if or when things do go wrong let the supplier know and hope they take notice and sort out the problem .
I'm sorry Bob but have to disagree with you here. So what if they aren't paid well or are having a bad day etc, and any supplier should have some semblance of control over production as at the end of the day it is their reputation at stake. I buy many products that are probably assembled in the same factories but 99.9% of the time do what they are supposed to do. Why should we just be grateful? When handing over £100+ for a model I believe you should have some expectation that it will perform as advertised. In my experience Farish manage, Dapol don't. What incentive do they have to get it right if they know we are just grateful that they've even bothered? As for taking notice experience and the multiple threads here and elsewhere show that they don't take notice and sort the problems.
Next time I buy a new car and it's handed over along with a bag of bits that have fallen off during shipping and it breaks down as I'm leaving the forecourt am I supposed to just be grateful or just slightly annoyed that it wasn't fit for purpose.
As has been mentioned Dapol's coaching stock is excellent but some of their loco models fall far short of fit for purpose.
The day the buying public just settle for gratefulness rather than a quality product will be a dark day.

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 02:21:21 pm »
I think that's right. The Manufacturers' problems are not my, the customer's, concern. It's their job to provide a product which meets the specified requirements at the published price. If it doesn't do that the product is not fit for purpose.
This thread is starting to go round in circles now so I'm gonna call it a day ad move on. Hooray I hear you all say.  :claphappy:
 :beers:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:27:22 pm by austinbob »
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2018, 04:02:13 pm »
I.have suggested that Dapol make a rake of coaches in Chiltern Maineline livery to go with their fantantastic Chiltern 68 apparently there is only one rake running in that livery that doesnt have the new type doors Joel said they could therefore do some BUT one coach would have to be a compromise as it wouldnt be worth doing the tooling just for that one coach , The problem is would there be enough customers willing  to buy a rake .I am definately not  a coach expert but Im sure someone on here will soon give me the answer whether its possible or not for them to do and if there would be enough interest ,after all whats the point of doing the loco if it hasnt got the coaches to go with it .
The other alternative would be if Anthony Sutton could do a repaint or Electro graphics to do some vynal sides .
Bob Tidbury

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2018, 11:54:28 am »
Spoke to soon. I'm using a Farish 3MT tank chassis for a project. It hasn't run for a couple of years and had only been run in previously but the gear on the driver has split. The Farish achilies heel strikes or maybe Dapol sabotage ;)

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2018, 08:57:57 am »
I also suggested the B-Sets in BR Crimson livery on their Digest and they responded saying they were interested. Now I am not going to claim they produced them just because I asked for them but there is at least some evidence that they listen to suggestions on there.

But should these not have "GUARD" on them, as the the photo on a well-known retailers site seems to show nothing, and this is confirmed by Hailstone. 

I have just received mine, they look great, the colour is almost identical to the set I re-sprayed but there is no Guard mark on the guard doors

Offline Graham Walters

• N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 10:04:03 pm »
So if we keep sending these back when faulty out of the box, ie unfit for purpose, what happens to them?  Assuming the manufacturer eventually has to fix them and re-sell, it must surely cost them a fortune which might be incentive to ‘do it once, do it right’ which used to be the mantra at my work, when I worked. Or maybe they just pass them back to China, but I doubt they would get any rebate. So I think they probably chuck them away, or into the spares bin, which means that we are paying for the reject rate one way or the other. So probably twice as much as we should be.

The issue here is with quality control (or lack of it) in China, if we do not send these loco's back for repair/replacement how are the manufacturers to know the  failure rate ? As a retailer I want my customers to get a product that runs right, first time. I have no qualms in replacing anything that is faulty be it a loco or a coach. Plus it always goes back to the supplier., it's then their problem.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 12:21:01 am »
Agreed Graham, my point is that someone has to pay for the rework and my guess is that it is taken into account in the selling price, so not only do we the customer get more bad product than we should, we are also paying for it.

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2018, 02:33:29 am »
The incremental cost of adding extra units to a small production run to cover faulty product is quite small. So quite possibly it's cheaper for Dapol to replace and bin its returns rather than to thoroughly inspect every unit. And I very much doubt it's economical to rework any but the simplest faults.

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2018, 12:04:58 pm »
Failures cost money, no matter how you deal with them. Sure some means of dealing with them recoup some money but this may not entirely cover their costs in setting it up.  There is clearly enough work involved with ordinary servicing and warranty work to make it worthwhile for DCC Supplies to take on. My point was that the increased cost should be a spur to Dapol to improve the quality. However , increased QA also costs money, so it is a question of which solution is the most cost effective. Another incalculable point is the invisible cost of dissatisfied customers.
This isn’t just about Dapol, by the way. I think the whole UK model rail industry needs to pull its socks up, at least with N, I have no experience of the current quality of OO and others.

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2018, 12:36:37 pm »
I think we need to step back and look at the situation and the timeline.

Dapol and other manufacturers build in batches.  If there is a QA problem with the batch its there forever.  In assessing whether improvements are being made we should only judge new built models/batches actually built in the last 12 months.  Whilst not perfect I think Dapol on this basis is improving, but there is still some way to go.  This is also reflected by the significant drop in availability of reworked returns.  So if you have a Dapol model that is not satisfactory you must ask yourself when was it built (not sold).

Farish did a similar exercise to reduce faulty models a few years ago and the consequence is we can no longer buy their cheap reworked models at shows.  I know that I have bought a large number of models this way that I would never have afforded full price.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here