!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.  (Read 21114 times)

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Windmill Hill. A busy little layout in a compact little case.
« Reply #435 on: March 11, 2018, 04:39:44 pm »
Yes Caz.

I started building the layout before I knew about different types of track.  :dunce:

If I had known about code 55 I would have used that, as I believe the rail is bedded in the plastic more, and also it would look better considering the level of detail I knew I would be building to.

Still, if we never made mistakes, we would never learn anything.  ;)

All best wishes
Kevin

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #436 on: March 11, 2018, 05:13:57 pm »
which I have since learnt (and now found out  :worried: ) is a bad idea.
What a horrid way to find out though :(

is there enough room to work to slit each rail at both ends of the damage section ? To then chop it out.
could a replacement section be pre built/ bent externally and slipped in.

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: March 11, 2018, 05:31:59 pm »
Yes Malcolm, that is what I am aiming to do.

The track is only pinned down in the under the hill section, and not ballasted, so will come up easy.

I can get a dremmel in to cut the section out, I just hope I can wiggle it into the right position  :)

The new track will be glued down. I hear copydex is best  ???

All best wishes
Kevin

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #438 on: March 11, 2018, 05:33:46 pm »
sorry for abrupt end to previous msg. bit of domestic duty ! more thoughts later

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #439 on: March 11, 2018, 05:56:34 pm »
The problem with splicing a piece in is if code 80 is used to maintain the rail height the chances of a repeat problem lurk, and if a piece of code 55 is used there will be a 'step' between the 2 codes :-\

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #440 on: March 11, 2018, 07:25:45 pm »
Sorry about the interruption to normal service !, it seems there was a missunnerthingie with the domestic staff, I was settled down for a nice quiet evening but wondered why my food had not arrived. New coded instructions came from the Kremlin 'food' 'takeaway' and whilst about it fuel the batmobile ready for the troops tomorrow !

Ah good you have it well in hand,

I was about to enquire if you knew about copper-clad pcb sleepers to which rail can be soldered (temporarily?) to keep the cut ends stable, or small brass nails to keep the ends in place while you fiddle with the new and its fishplates.

What is worrying me is how stressed the other bit got and how well it remains captive in its sleepers ? :( So minimum stress/disturbance to it while you are fiddling with its ends !

There may be a silver lining : the damaged sleepers and a layer of baseboard plywood? could be cut out. the new bit could be constructed outside on its layer of board, then the whole could be slotted into place , repeatedly ! ie a cassette interchange :)

There should not be a repeat if using code80, because now there will be at least two expansion joints.
Not sure if, with an eye to the summer!, an extra gap should be made in the remaining good bit ? cos the 2/3 or is it 3/4 circle may still be at risk, sorry for any extra worry !

Phew, didnt realise I had so much twittering still to do :)

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #441 on: March 11, 2018, 07:55:09 pm »
I forgot to comment on the copydex  question, dunno ! I am having an argument with myself if it might be better to leave this bit floating, retained by T-pins or something like that.

it is too many decades since I did 'materials sciences' so I am not sure how to assess the radial stress on the 2/3 or 3/4 circle  that may come in the summer ? ie. how many, if any, extra gaps ??  anyone ??
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:56:15 pm by MalcolmAL »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #442 on: March 11, 2018, 08:33:00 pm »
The biggest stress is going to be repairing it! My non-technical solution would be to use a piece of set track and if the radius is not quite the same, cut the plastic under the rails on one side to alter the radius. Doing this should make the set track more flexible. If you have to increase the radius cut the inside rail, to decrease it, the outside rail.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #443 on: March 12, 2018, 01:50:05 am »
The biggest stress is going to be repairing it!
Quite so !

My thinking (on raising the issue) was that a linear expansion is obviously the big concern and if that were in a straight bit of track -with ease of sliding back/forward thro' the sleepers- it would , ,blah&blah ,,  , but this isnt ! it is bent !! so there is going to be a component sideways as well, depending on how pinched it is ( think coopers and their craft, even tyres on loco wheels ! )
 is it something , re. number of slots per part circle, that Kevin need worry about come the summer !

Ok, back under my slate.

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #444 on: March 12, 2018, 06:44:22 am »
I think that, if you use streamline and Copydex it down, with no soldered joints, it will be fine.  I have 3/4 +1/4 circles to make 180 degree turns.  I don't think the coefficient of linear expansion is sufficient to cause a problem if you don't solder sections together.  If you want to link sections, without a lot of droppers, you can simply link one length of track to the next with a short length of tinned copper wire.  If the track is hidden from view, it doesn't really matter what it looks like.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #445 on: March 12, 2018, 03:05:42 pm »

Still, if we never made mistakes, we would never learn anything.  ;)

All best wishes
Kevin

How do you think I've learnt what I have, happened to me when I started Claywell and then switched to 55, so much stronger and looks so much better especially after weathering and ballasting.   :thumbsup:

Offline David Asquith

• N Gauge Society Number: 23346
    • Awards
« Reply #446 on: March 12, 2018, 04:20:43 pm »
Hi,

I had a similar problem but my track was in a more accessible location.  I pinned the rails back into the chairs and then ran runny super glue along each side of the rail until it ran into the chairs.  Works very well and looks fine after a touch up to the weathering.  Yours being in a hidden location wouldn't need that.

regards

Dave
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:23:35 pm by David Asquith, Reason: brainsprain »

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #447 on: March 12, 2018, 08:25:48 pm »

Well it may not be too bad  :)

Thank you for all your help, and here is the state of play .....

On this early pic, the red shows the track joints that are there now. If I remove the blue section of track and replace it, NOT soldering the rail joiners there will now be 3 joins, the red at the front, and the 2 new yellow ones, which should be ok.

I labelled the wires for the on/off/charging side panel

and then took the backscene off .....

And here is the unseen back of the layout

Being able to get in through the sides as well, reveals the damage is not too bad. This is the section that needs replacing ....

I have some track, and will have a walk into town tomorrow for some copydex

All kind regards
Kevin

Online Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #448 on: March 15, 2018, 09:34:29 pm »
 :hellosign:

After traipsing all over town on Tuesday, I found that any younger shop person had never heard of copydex, and any older shop person hadn't see any for years, so have put the track replacement on hold, until I get some on t'internet

Yesterday I sorted the telephone box and platform end out, and made a few adjustments to fences and hedges to make sure the autocoach would have no problems round the bends. Unfortunatly I had to shave a bit off the platform edge, but it is not really noticeable in "the flesh"

Also I smartened up the front facia where the light switches are .....

Then onto the new backboard. I think the problem that made the track come loose was leaving the layout too close to a heater, as the plastic backboard had buckled above and below the access cut out.....

I cut a new one out, and applying heat from a fan heater, bent it round a former the same size as the layout.

Then when it had formed I put the layout on a flat board, as my workbench is a bit uneven, and screwed the backboard to the layout, and WOW ! perfect fit round the base, just need to trim it up and cut an access panel.

By then I should have some copydex.  :D

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:36:34 pm by Phoenix »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #449 on: March 15, 2018, 09:41:12 pm »
Glad you got things sorted, Kevin. I got my Copydex at B & Q.
That last pic taken at night looks very good ;D ;)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything