!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Clouds Hill - My first layout  (Read 3851 times)

Offline JohnN

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Clouds Hill - My first layout
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2018, 09:36:19 pm »
I'm just starting on the scatter too. It's amazing how a little bit of the green stuff starts to bring a layout to life. Looking good.  :thumbsup:

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2018, 08:53:22 pm »
Well it isnít as tranquil as I envisaged but fingers crossed I think itís turned out ok. Iíll be popping out here in the morning to see how it looks when itís dried.

Iíve got the measurements for the bridge that Iíll be scratchbuilding so Iím off to play with the CAD to put some ideas down and see what I can come up with;

I have a few hours to play tomorrow so the plan is to get the first mock-up made. Iím very glad I treated myself to a new heater as itís been freezing out here this week!!!  :o

Edit; sorry for the sideways photos. Not sure what happened there!
Moderator Comment I've rotated it for you, hope it's the right way up now

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:40:41 am by Caz, Reason: Rotated picture »
Thanks,
Paul

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently under construction; http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39084.0

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2018, 10:24:03 am »
I've rotated it for you, hope it's the right way up now

Thanks Caz  :NGF:
Thanks,
Paul

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently under construction; http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39084.0

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2018, 01:29:58 pm »
It's been a slow few weeks on the layout but I managed a coupe of hours last night. Not a lot to report but I've added more foliage and painted another coat on the bridge.

Short video here of my new Flying Scotsman on it's first test run over the bridge and into the mountains.

https://youtu.be/VEdPqIWEbJo

I'm hoping to get this section complete this week and make a start on the left hand side of the layout!

Thanks for looking!
Thanks,
Paul

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2018, 09:40:33 pm »
Hi Everyone,

With the beast from the east creating a very cold man cave and progress on another project, itís been a while since I posted.

The bridge is all painted and tonight is sat under weights having been glued.

I also repaired a breakage that I caused whilst putting the layout out of the way on the shelf. Ironically I was doing this to protect it whilst I worked on other things. It glued back together but needs a bit of filler and paint. You can see the cracks here;

I was really annoyed when it happened but fingers crossed itís completely fixable.

Iíve also added more texture and foliage around the layout;

Once this is glued and touched up I can call it ďdoneĒ and make a start on the other half of the layout. This will be more buildings and structures so all new again which Iím looking forward to getting on with.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks,
Paul

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2018, 09:43:58 pm »
Thats a very neat job. Looks great.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2018, 10:20:10 pm »
Not exactly groundbreaking but i enjoyed it so I thought itís only right I share a video;

https://youtu.be/5wU6O8jPRKE

Tonight with the left hand side track glued down I was able to complete the loop on the hidden side and run the first full loop with the flying Scotsman.

Now Iím happy it works I can get the new section down on the bench and start building the scenery.

Thanks for looking!
Thanks,
Paul

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2018, 11:41:58 pm »
Your excellent bridge really looks part of the scenery, great stuff!.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: Today at 03:08:30 pm »
Hi All,

Amazing how time flies! My summers are usually spent pursuing outdoor hobbies and this year has been extra busy getting ready for the imminent arrival of baby number 3 and looking after 1&2 at the weekends to try and let SWMBO rest! Anyway..... attention has turned back to the man-cave and picking up where I left off with the layout.....

Sad to say that most of what I have done has to be reworked  :unimpressed: it seems that the insulation board has not settled well. I assume this is because of extreme temperature differences in the garage with the cold winter and then the hot summer. There's a major bump in the side that was complete and the larger section that was just plane insulation sheet with the track glued down looks more like a half-pipe than a flat board. If I'm careful then I could probably save the mountains and the bridge but I think I just have to put the rest down as a learning experience and start again...

What is the downside of of building straight on top of marine ply? The only things I can think of are noise when the trains are running and fixing things to the baseboard like trees and pins that would normally just push in? Any other disadvantages? Regulating the temperature is just not practical I think I have to design a layout that can cope. Anyone else had a similar issue and came up with a good solution? Would love to hear your thoughts.  :helpneededsign:

Thanks
Paul 
Thanks,
Paul

Offline sp1

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: Today at 04:01:09 pm »
Oh dear!
I use ply and always seal both sides to exclude moisture (current layout inside the house but you still expose the boards to moisture from glue, scenery building etc) - I use whatever I have to hand: varnish or cheap emulsion- using white emulsion has the benefit that you can write on it easily which is very handy for marking wires etc.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here