!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modelmaster/NGS decals  (Read 7659 times)

Online woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Modelmaster/NGS decals
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2018, 04:48:29 pm »
As I understand it the forum you mention is not an official NGS forum linked to the web site which the NGS should have had a long time ago in my opinion.

I think that the problem has been and continues to be that there are plenty of people who say they would like such a forum but not enough of them who would be prepared to volunteer to provide the 24/7 administration and moderation that would be needed. The existing groups.io set up is as good as there is likely to be without a largish team of new member volunteer admins/mods, but choosing not to use what is there hardly strengthens the case for a full NGS forum, IMHO.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2018, 05:37:18 pm »
It's reasurring that I am not the only one who is miffed with the NGS decal situation.

I know of two other members in W.Cornwall who are considering whether they will renew their memberships when the time comes. There have been a few hard to understand decisions taken over the last couple of years.
I'm sure that many will understand and agree that the shop was just too much for volunteers to handle, and accept the closure of it as it was. The decals though are a different situation IMO...an that of others. As for supplying kits when they become widely available, without decals does seem yet another step backwards.

Having been on a committee for many years I accept that decisions have to be made, and usually on a vote
However, sometimes these decisions result in a situation that was not envisaged. Then it's time to consider re-visiting if the decision was the right one...

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2018, 05:39:14 pm »
As I understand it the forum you mention is not an official NGS forum linked to the web site which the NGS should have had a long time ago in my opinion.

So can you say when will the Modelmasters situation be sorted? Are you happy that emails go unanswered? Are you in agreement that kits are now to be sold without transfers. Some answers would be good please.

The groups.io board is the closest you are going to get to a full NGS forum for the foreseeable future.  Linking together the membership database amd the NGS website (to allow easy administration of an NGS forum should one ever be created) is no small task with a lot of implications.

I can't say when/how the Modelmasters situation will be sorted.  Of course I'm not happy with the situation but (again) what are the alternatives? Looking after the decals and nameplates is a massive task.

I don't know the full details of the decision behind selling kits without transfers so I'm not prepared to second guess why it was taken (I'd hazard a guess that it was to prevent kit price rises and/or because transfer stock was not available and it is better to get the kit out without transfers than not at all).  IIRC the transfers for the majority of the kits are not from Modelmaster.

None of that is new information - it may well not be the answers you wish for though...

Cheers, Mike

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2018, 05:43:41 pm »
I'm sure that many will understand and agree that the shop was just too much for volunteers to handle, and accept the closure of it as it was. The decals though are a different situation IMO...

The situation of the Shop and decals/nameplates is identical - both had got completely too much for volunteers to easily handle. 

As I've said previously, complaining on here is likely to achieve little.  Writing on the NGS groups.io board or even better by email to the Chairman and/or the Committee is far more likely to lead to a response - don't just complain, ask questions that can be reasonably answered or offer potential solutions.  By all means get other members to "sign" the letter in support and ask whoever you write to when you can reasonably expect a response.

Cheers, Mike

Online PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2018, 07:01:49 pm »
I don't know the full details of the decision behind selling kits without transfers so I'm not prepared to second guess why it was taken (I'd hazard a guess that it was to prevent kit price rises and/or because transfer stock was not available and it is better to get the kit out without transfers than not at all).  IIRC the transfers for the majority of the kits are not from Modelmaster.

Hi

Are the transfers going to be sold separately? If not how do people finish their models?

Cheers

Paul

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2018, 08:21:07 pm »
There was no mystery about the fate of the 50th show - it was explained on here and in the Journal/NGS website what the problem was.
Regardless of the problems the NGS has, it is still a bargain at £18/year.  6 copies of the Journal, exclusive kits and RTR (which continue to be developed). Could things be better and more efficient - of course they could.

I know there is no mystery about the fate of the 50th show, just that the NGS had 50 years notice of the anniversary!
As for being a bargain you get a Journal at £3 a go irrespective of if there is much of interest in it, it can vary a lot. RTR - only occasionally of interest and would have probably ended up in production anyway and I, personally don't agree with the NGS offering RTR stuff. Kits - I love building kits but they are all to modern for me recently and what's the point if you can't get the transfers to finish it.
I've been a member for many years and despite membership steadily increasing what it offers is decreasing at the same rate. Sorry if you don't agree but we are all entitled to an opinion.

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2018, 09:56:32 am »
I magine the NGS decals and nameplates were a huge task...when coupled to the shop contents.

Having sold off the shop contents then surely the decals and plates would have become more manageable?

Was a NGS person sought who would have been prepared to take them on?

OR, was it in reality a case of the baby being thrown out with the bathwater (as has already been mentioned)

It's evident by the posts on here that some, if not many members are disgruntled by the, shall we say, outsourcing of the decals back to Modelmaster.

It also appears to me from their website that they have increased in cost. If they have increased in cost, which I feel they have, is this increase applied to NGS stock handed over to them?

Somebody also mentioned the Modelmaster postage cost being high.

We are aware what occured with the long time shop managers (well, to a degree we are) but it has to be said when you ordered decals they were despatched fairly quickly at a very fair postage cost.

I'm going to pull back from further posts on this subject (for a while). I have spoken to a NGS committee "high ranker" about this. As members all we can do is hope that something is sorted out, and the decals again become an easy to access item, at a fair cost / p&p.

As for emails, still not heard back from them, must be several weeks ago I emailed them.

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2018, 12:41:58 pm »
Is it any wonder that voluntary groups like the NGS find it extremely difficult to recruit new volunteers to committee positions, when all that is in prospect is the sort of comment seen in this thread?
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2018, 12:49:42 pm »
Quite a few posts (mine included) are complaints about Modelmaster, I don't think that they should have taken the plates from the N Gauge Society if they weren't capable of managing them.

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2018, 08:17:00 am »
As I registered my NGS details with Modelmaster they send me emails.

Just had one to say they are soon to discontinue taking Paypal payments.

Thought I'd give you a heads up on this.

Online Shiney Sheff

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2018, 10:33:19 am »

Just had one to say they are soon to discontinue taking Paypal payments.

Thought I'd give you a heads up on this.

Yet another avenue for payment closed then, it just seems get more of a mess with every passing week.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2018, 10:43:30 am »
I unsbscrbed from Modelmaster's emails, I got really irritated by them, I would just like my nameplates or an answer to MY emails.

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2018, 11:45:41 am »
I unsbscrbed from Modelmaster's emails, I got really irritated by them, I would just like my nameplates or an answer to MY emails.

Oh boy, one of my pet peeves this! Company happily sends you emails as often as they want, but never replies to any emails you send them!

Cheers, NeMo

Online PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2018, 11:46:52 am »

Oh boy, one of my pet peeves this! Company happily sends you emails as often as they want, but never replies to any emails you send them!

Cheers, NeMo

Hi

Set up an email rule on your email account to return them automatically.

Cheers

Paul

Offline NeMo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2018, 11:59:09 am »
Set up an email rule on your email account to return them automatically.

To be fair, Mail.app usually sends them into the Junk folder. It's not marketing emails I care about -- in fact the ones from Agent Provocateur are quite welcome! -- it's the absence of replies from those companies when I have a question or concern.

Cheers, NeMo

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here