!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: help needed no power to track  (Read 310 times)

Offline vincey68

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
help needed no power to track
« on: October 10, 2017, 03:26:40 pm »

hi all just purchased a small layout from a certain online auction site pic 2 - the thing is there seems to be no power going through the track .. using an old basic controller i joined the wires to the wires coming from the bottom of the baseboard can  pic 1 anyone shed any light on what might be the cause ...thanks in advance

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: help needed no power to track
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 03:51:15 pm »
using an old basic controller i joined the wires to the wires coming from the bottom of the baseboard can  pic 1 anyone shed any light on what might be the cause ...thanks in advance

Maybe the dropper wires from the track have come adrift. Have you tried attaching the wires from your controller to the track directly to see if anything runs?

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 03:56:36 pm »
Can you see wher the existing wires are soldered in?

See below and apply power there on track

If all else fails, remove existing wiring and install new droppers ( small hole/ wire and solder to outside of track)
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline vincey68

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 04:02:49 pm »
using an old basic controller i joined the wires to the wires coming from the bottom of the baseboard can  pic 1 anyone shed any light on what might be the cause ...thanks in advance

Maybe the dropper wires from the track have come adrift. Have you tried attaching the wires from your controller to the track directly to see if anything runs?

thanks for replying attached wires from controller directly to the track nothing happens
loco is in working order as just purchased it from Scograil Ipswich who tested it on their track at time of purchase

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 04:05:13 pm »

thanks for replying attached wires from controller directly to the track nothing happens
loco is in working order as just purchased it from Scograil Ipswich who tested it on their track at time of purchase

That begs the question as to whether the controller is working. Have you got a length of spare track you can attach the wires from the controller to and then try to run a loco. If nothing moves then I reckon your controller's had it. Sorry.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:09:08 pm »
Apologies for stating the obvious but have you cleaned the track?

Offline vincey68

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 04:16:07 pm »
Apologies for stating the obvious but have you cleaned the track?

yeah spent about 6 hours last night with a track rubber cloth etc

will have to source a piece of track to try out the controller

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 04:30:32 pm »
Attach a wire to each terminal on the controller, turn the controller on, turn the loco upside down and touch the wires onto the wheels, one wire on a wheel on each side of the loco, you should be able to get the wheels to move a bit if the controller is working. You may have to strip the plastic off the end of each wire.

Offline Lazy-Ferret

• Lazy-Ferret
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 05:19:10 pm »
Get a small car Bulb, e.g, side light (Not head light) and attach it to the controller. Then slowly turn up the speed, but don't go to full, as you will burn the bulb out. you should see it come on dull, and then get brighter and brighter.

There may be a "short" on the track, and it may either cause the controller to shut down, or maybe even blown a fuse.
"Only a man that drives a second-hand car knows how hard it is to drive a bargain!"
South East 4x4 Responder

about our other loves

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 05:27:38 pm »
If there has been a short then your controller should have a reset button that will need pressed to re-establish the power.

Cheers John.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 06:09:28 pm »
As others have said, I think first thing is to prove the controller is working with the loco, before start worrying about the track.  As @silly moo suggested, try wires from the controller directly to the loco wheels with the controller turned up about half way.   If no joy, try a 9V battery across the loco wheels to verify whether it's the loco or the controller which is dead.  A 12V bulb (as also suggested earlier) is a useful testing tool to have in your toolbox.

Once you've confirmed the controller and loco are alive, then move on to trying wires directly from controller to the track, and start with the loco right next to the wires. Work your way around to locate any dead spots. 

The layout looks quite nice!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:12:15 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 06:54:23 pm »
Looking at the picture of the underside of the board, to me, it looks like each wire comes from the topside to the underside and then goes back through the baseboard to the topside, if that is the case, what are the wires connected to - am I looking at the picture wrong?  ??? (I have put my glasses on  :)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 07:49:31 pm »
As Dannyboy says, those wires aren’t for power feeds. Without being to orientate the upper surface with the underneath, it’s difficult to work out what they are for. They may be for the frogs on the points. I would cut them in the middle of each loop, then try the power on the track.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 08:31:37 pm »
I agree with Dannyboy. My concern is which of those wires did you attach to the controller? They do indeed all appear to go back to the topside of the baseboard.
Can you shed some light on where the wires go to and come from?
That's basically a simple oval which should work with only 2 wires. Why not try taking one wire from your controller and roughly pushing it under one side of the track and do the same with the other wire from the controller - pushing it under the other side of the track.
That should make the loco move (assuming loco and controller are ok).
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:45 pm »
it’s difficult to work out what [thelooped wires] are for. They may be for the frogs on the points. I would cut them in the middle of each loop, then try the power on the track.

Seems a bit drastic, given that the original builder fitted them for a reason and I think we should assume the layout did work ok.

I noticed them too, wondered if maybe they're for feeding power to otherwise insulated sidings (power routed points), if perhaps the layout was originally run under DCC? 

Only the new owner @vincey68 can resolve exactly how they're wired, then maybe we can help deduce the purpose.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:38:52 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything