!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Branch to Elizabeth Wharf  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Branch to Elizabeth Wharf
« on: October 02, 2017, 02:56:37 pm »
As I have explained in my thread "The Brizzle Project" in Layout Planning, I have just started a new small project while I get the main plans really sorted.  This follows on from the "Canal Wharf" thread where I named the wharf "Elizabeth Wharf".  The next stage is a static diorama in two box files of a single line of railway line running through countryside.  There will be the canal and a road way and some possible agricultural interest.  The layout could be modified by cutting holes in the end pieces to join it to something else or make it a stand alone working micro layout.

I need to try some more ideas out and develop what I achieved in the other box file layout.  To this extent I am using Code 55 fine scale Peco track and intend to ballast it properly.  I have already purchased the track and box files and need some mounting board and foam board as this structure seemed to work well.  The track will curve slightly and the canal will follow the track line and I may include another small wharf facility and a level crossing.

At this stage I intend to use it as a stage for photographing the kit built model wagons I am building and any weathering I try.  To this end the front of the box files will be linked to the lid rather than the base with a small edging piece to end the scenery. 

Offline Delboy

• Awards
Re: Branch to Elizabeth Wharf
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:58:12 pm »
Hi Jeremy,
Sounds great. Look forward to hearing and hopefully seeing photos as you progress.
 :)
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 06:26:30 pm »
I've finally started this project having spent a lot of time weathering mineral wagons.  There's nothing much to see yet so I haven' taken any photos but the boxes have been joined and a folding front has been constructed.  I have decided to making it a moving diorama in that the track will run through to a single siding at each end.  It might be possible to connect it to the main wharf layout too.

I need to source some more materials before I get any further advanced and once I have laid track and planned out the basics of scenery I will post some photos.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:35:30 pm »
Hi Jeremy,

Looking forward to your build and pics.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 12:23:00 pm »
Vague plan pencilled in on the box bases with a canal at the front, the railway behind following the same route and the road behind hat with a T junction.  I may swap the road and railway so that I can have a level crossing but I'm not sure if there's space.  The crossing would be un-gated.  I need to find enough space for hedges and fields too and create a slight contour rise.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 12:35:32 pm »
Vague plan pencilled in on the box bases with a canal at the front, the railway behind following the same route and the road behind hat with a T junction.  I may swap the road and railway so that I can have a level crossing but I'm not sure if there's space.  The crossing would be un-gated.  I need to find enough space for hedges and fields too and create a slight contour rise.
Sounds a good plan.
Not so sure about the hat though!  ;)
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 01:02:18 pm »
*'that' not 'hat'.  Tend to rush typing.  Will put up some sort of plan once it is finalised.  I'm going to get some mounting board and possibly foam board tomorrow.  Once the plan is finalised I will need to cut holes in the end for the lines to storage and put a timber underneath to run those lines on.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:24:27 am »
Finally there has been some progress.  The layout is now back to a diorama format.  I have laid board and foam board with a canal cut into the foam board.  A length of track has been laid and weathered with Humbrol acrylic spray paint.  I have also put an initial coat of brown emulsion on the base to start to seal the foam board and make a basis for the scenery.

Picture shows current progress with a train of empty coal wagons to give some scale.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 09:03:44 am »
Scenery developing slowly.  I have started to model the canal banks with filler and have laid a road between the railway and the back of the boxes. I am trying different scenic techniques as the ground is going to be fairly level.  I have plenty of mounting board so I am going to use some of it to start to build up slight elevations and then fill over the top to get the final ground level.  Behind the road I am putting in card formers and intend to try normal masking tape as an initial surface.  At each stage emulsion paint is being used as a surface sealant to try to prevent warping.

No pictures at present but I will take some when things are at a slightly more advanced stage.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 09:28:14 am »
Current progress.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 09:44:44 am »
Groundwork complete.  Track ballasted (still wet when photo taken).  Ready for my daughter to paint the canal and for scenic scatter to be added.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 04:02:19 pm »
Greenery has now been applied.  Two layers of a mixture of colours, mainly Woodland Scenics Burnt Grass.  I have foliage and static grass to try next.  Canal to finish.  Fences, telegraph poles and a Morris Minor are on order.  I intend to create a small rubbish dump at the right hand end too.

The car and British Railways truck are Oxford Diecast and Base Models respectively.  The bus is Graham Farish which I think makes it Continental N rather than UK so it is a bit small.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:04:49 pm by Jeremy Edwards »

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 11:33:38 am »
I'm now getting this towards a state that I am happy with.  Ground cover is close to completion with fences and telegraph poles added.  I need to tweak the ground cover with a variety of things.  The road has since been repainted to get rid of the marks and work on the canal surface is continuing.

There are some tidying up jobs needed with a paint brush and I hope to have a canal barge in situ too.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything