!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 2mm Finescale wheelsets  (Read 439 times)

Offline Duke62

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27402
  • 2mm Association Number: 5323
    • Awards
2mm Finescale wheelsets
« on: September 22, 2017, 09:07:43 am »
Can anybody tell me if 2mm finescale rolling stock wheels if re-gauged will run through N gauge finescale points without derailing?The reason for asking is I like the etched finescale chassis kits and the track profile but I do not want to go to the hassle of re-wheeling locos for 2mm FS so would prefer to use Ngauge FS.
Many thanks Ian

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
Re: 2mm Finescale wheelsets
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 11:32:43 am »
They have done N Gauge wheelsets for their chassis in the past, but have not been able to get them for some time.

I was trying to do a modified version of my wheels, but house moves and ill health have delayed me.

I am looking at the design again shortly, if they are still interested.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 05:13:26 pm »
The 2mmfs wheels are about half the width of an N scale wheel so no. A lot depends what you are building as the 2mmSA does have the pieces to reassemble some of the Farish wheels onto 12.25mm axles and has some 12.25mm N scale wheels available now and then.

The other question is if you are doing steam or diesel. For the Farish diesels you can mostly use the drop in axles. They also come with nice gears so they don't keep splitting like the crappy N gauge ones. For steam it's much more work.

It's actually quite fiddly putting N wheels in the chassis because the thickness gets them very close to the chassis sides. In fact one reason I ended up getting 13mm wheels made for the scale width coach bogies is that the machine assembly folks can't do 12.25mm axle N scale wheel assembly, let alone put it on 1mm diameter axles.

I suspect I'm going to be doing a fair bit more 2fs work - I seem to have bought Welton Down when it was retired from the exhibition circuit 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Ricardus Harfelde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24996
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 05:36:33 pm »
I've had some success with the limited amount of work I've done on trying out 2mm Association wheels on N gauge "finescale" track

So far I've built a copper clad sleeper point which is roughly a B6 geometry using Code 40 rail and with a flangeway width of 0.8mm

This was tested using 1) a 2mm Assn 11 ft wheelbase 4 wheel wagon chassis with 2mm Assn 6mm wheels and 2) a hand made undriven 0-6-0 loco chassis using 2mm Assn 10.5mm wheels

Both seemed to run OK

Richard

Online NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 04:52:02 pm »
I have some test wheels being 3D printed at the moment, to allow sizes to be checked.

The amount of clearance is tight!!!

Offline littlegs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24229
  • 2mm Association Number: 4053
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 08:28:11 pm »
Hi Guys
I am currently converting some 2mmFS 16T mineral wagons to run on N gauge track.
The 2mmFS society shop does stock 12.25 mm axles to fit Farish RP25 wheels but stock is hard to get as I think the came from the late Bill Bedford.
I have been experimenting with my own version of this axle by soldering 2mm lengths of 1mmID 1.5mmOD brass tube to either end of a 12.25mm standard axle (clearing the pinpoints) and reaming out the RP25 wheels to a tight fit.
At the last count I have converted 10 wagons(20 Axles).
You have to be very carefull with back to backs as it has already been stated in this thread,N gauge wheels are twice the thickness of a FS wheel and although the FS wheelset has a larger back to back, the N gauge wheels when set at the recommended 7.4mm btb are a very tight fit and only just clear the brakes on a FS chassis
A smaller btb may be tried but don't go too small as gauging may cause problems
Chris

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything