!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How to make : An Inexpensive Powered Railer/Re-railer  (Read 1991 times)

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: How to make : An inexpensive Powered Re-railer
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 11:23:53 am »
I did of course wonder before I posted if I was about to give away my next £million earner on a public forum !
If our patent laws and international conventions still apply as they did at the time of my previous three ( a long time ago when the dinosaurs ran wild) then  - it doesnt matter if someone has already patented it because you cannot get a patent for an already public widespread known pre-existing design. aka needs to be novel  (well to be strictly accurate you can apply for and even obtain one, because patent granters are not "all knowing" "all seeing" but it would fail at its first court challenge)

Now where did I put my double sided sticky tape > > >
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:29:22 am by MalcolmAL »

Offline emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 11:34:39 am »
I did of course wonder before I posted if I was about to give away my next £million earner on a public forum !
If our patent laws and international conventions still apply as they did at the time of my previous three ( a long time ago when the dinosaurs ran wild) then  - it doesnt matter if someone has already patented it because you cannot get a patent for an already public widespread known pre-existing design. aka needs to be novel  (well to be strictly accurate you can apply for and even obtain one, because patent granters are not "all knowing" "all seeing" but it would fail at its first court challenge)

Now where did I put my double sided sticky tape > > >

Well, seeing as you put it like that...

...crack on son!

:thumbsup:
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 11:45:16 am »

Well, seeing as you put it like that...
...crack on son!
:laughabovepost:
 Thanks pal.
Thort y'all might like a little tale whilst we are indoors sheltering from this rain, will it ever end?

Mind you, it also depends upon how long it has been known, if Proses and the Japanese have only recently marketed it, not patented it and you can reasonably demonstrate that you AND most people did not know of it , , , then I have just presented a wonderful opportunity for someone :)

But if you are a demented Welshman proposing to patent a coracle, a demented Scot inventing a stuffed sheep's something or a demented AngloSaxon marketing a facial decoration product then think again  :smiley-laughing:

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
Re: Powered Railer/Re-railer
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »
Pleased to report that :
 double sided sticky tape and kitchen foil work a treat and are not too thick to disturb the shallow 'land' of the Peco railer.

Offline emjaybee

• Awards
Re: How to make : An Inexpensive Powered Railer/Re-railer
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 02:03:20 pm »
And on the up side, when you drop it on the floor and then stand on it because you didn't see where it fell and it's now in three bits, you won't be £25 out of pocket.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 02:26:38 pm »
then stand on it because you didn't see
Wot ! with two flashy go faster stripes,,, dont be coming to me with claims for a shattered foot ! heheeeheeee ! But I can recommend poundland for cheapo specs for this sort of work. Oh yes, I see a problem, no black&white squares on it  :D

I have rx.in post this am. some red LED, work now starts on incorporating an ordinary diode, a red led and a resistor into its back end for the prevention of idiots like me not knowing his left from his right :)

But I am thwarted at the start, I think there is a convention that the lefthand rail (from driver point of view looking at the bit where the smoke comes out) is always positive ? ? ? not sure about this. Have meter,  will travel > > >

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:52:23 pm by MalcolmAL »

Offline rhysapthomas

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 03:48:52 pm »
Hi

Great idea.  here is my effort using a Peco rerailer and some self adhesive copper foil which I bought as track feed though it was sold on ebay for stained glass soldering

Here is a very short video of it in operation if I have done this correctly

https://youtu.be/shKZu8j7cZo

seems to work but it needs a stop on the end now

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 04:19:09 pm »
and some self adhesive copper foil
https://youtu.be/shKZu8j7cZo

but it needs a stop on the end now
Lovely job, very professional, I like.

Woa! eeek nearly :) nice shot of the hand from the sky/god :) :) yes, see previously about my nearly accident and I have good news soon (working prototype) about red light to be incorporated into a bufferstop  :thumbsup:

Offline Lazy-Ferret

• Lazy-Ferret
    • Awards
Re: Re: Powered Railer/Re-railer
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 06:46:27 pm »
Great idea, thanks.
I have just done the modification on mine and it works perfectly.
It is also sort of satisfying to watch the locomotive drive itself off the ramp and proceed on its way.

I used adhesive backed aluminium foil tape, that is sold primarily for shielding electronic housings.
Fortunately, it is just a few mm wider than the re-railer, so I just rubbed it down and smooth with a tooth pick and then trimmed the surplus.

One thing I think important for a good result...the Peco re-railer is quite a snug fit over the rails at the transition end.  I think excess tape here would stop it aligning snugly, so for the tape that folds under to make rail contact, I trimmed off all but the narrow strip that makes rail contact - a bit fiddly but worth the effort.

Again, thanks OP.

Cheers, Tom.

Edit:  Oooops, I see there are 2 threads running on this, and the other thread is dedicated to 'local modification' - I should have posted there, sorry.

Thank you, Great Idea, I think I will have to do my one and try it out.

A lot of the cheap shops, B&M, Home Bargains, Poundshop, etc, sell rolls of copper "slug" tape, in the garden section. It is a Slug deterrent you stick round a flower pot to stop the slugs climbing up. It should do the same job as your aluminium tape, with the added advantage you can get a 2 meter length for a pound(ish)
"Only a man that drives a second-hand car knows how hard it is to drive a bargain!"
South East 4x4 Responder

about our other loves

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 07:23:44 pm »
I have rx.in post this am. some red LED, work now starts on incorporating an ordinary diode, a red led and a resistor into its back end for the prevention of idiots like me not knowing his left from his right :)
Update :
Ignore the scale on the meter, it is now a centrezero -20/0/+20v meter, centred on the V. Now I have two visual cues to the right direction !
If I had done it proper like others here and gone out and bought copper stickytape I'd be able to solder those bits to it ! Ah well. mine was cheaper !  maybe on Mk3  ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:49:08 am by MalcolmAL »

Online Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 09:07:49 pm »
Wouldn't take much to convert this to being an inexpensive and easy to load cassette system with no problems of alignment.  Interesting...
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 09:49:29 pm »
you won't be £25 out of pocket.
and the best news is that my domestic staff have been so amused at the BluePetering that I have been given a £25 bonus on my allowance which is well on the way to a Kato M1 or a new loco  :D

Wouldn't take much to convert this to being an inexpensive and easy to load cassette system with no problems of alignment.  Interesting...
Yes, been thinking the same myself, it has long puzzled me how peeps kept their wheels in the right place with angle aly etc structures but never got round to trying it that way, this way it could even be attached to a cardboard box ? !
If thicker more durable tape or even pie dish material were used an extra 'land' could be cut from thin plastic to heighten that area in proportion.

One thing I think important for a good result...the Peco re-railer is quite a snug fit over the rails at the transition end.  I think excess tape here would stop it aligning snugly, so for the tape that folds under to make rail contact, I trimmed off all but the narrow strip that makes rail contact - a bit fiddly but worth the effort.
Yes! But in my case a thumb-nail into the slots sorted it :)
I had plans that the slot could be widened if need be in a future model but you have given me another idea : a springy wire could be attached alongside the rail to bear upon it, or on top, and be soldered easily to the copper tape via further slots or holes if needed , a wire could probably be melted through the Peco plastic.  Perhaps  something like that how "they" have done it, I didnt notice a pic of the underside of the commercial jobbie anywhere ?
EDIT Ooops got a bit mixed up with who was doing copper and who doing aly !!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:53:12 pm by MalcolmAL »

Offline emjaybee

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 09:57:09 pm »
Great idea, thanks.
I have just done the modification on mine and it works perfectly.
It is also sort of satisfying to watch the locomotive drive itself off the ramp and proceed on its way.

I used adhesive backed aluminium foil tape, that is sold primarily for shielding electronic housings.
Fortunately, it is just a few mm wider than the re-railer, so I just rubbed it down and smooth with a tooth pick and then trimmed the surplus.

Again, thanks OP.

Cheers, Tom.

Edit:  Oooops, I see there are 2 threads running on this, and the other thread is dedicated to 'local modification' - I should have posted there, sorry.

Thank you, Great Idea, I think I will have to do my one and try it out.

A lot of the cheap shops, B&M, Home Bargains, Poundshop, etc, sell rolls of copper "slug" tape, in the garden section. It is a Slug deterrent you stick round a flower pot to stop the slugs climbing up. It should do the same job as your aluminium tape, with the added advantage you can get a 2 meter length for a pound(ish)

That's a good suggestion. My brain was thinking sticky metal tape, looks like I'll have to pay a visit to the Poundshops in Banbury at the weekend.

(Funny who you bump into on here isn't it! How's the ferrets?)

Offline Lazy-Ferret

• Lazy-Ferret
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 11:34:55 pm »

He He.. They are up to no good as usual.. I have to keep hiding the small layout I am playing with, as they are intent on doing their own landscaping. !!
"Only a man that drives a second-hand car knows how hard it is to drive a bargain!"
South East 4x4 Responder

about our other loves

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 11:41:13 pm »

He He.. They are up to no good as usual..
:)  but should be good to fetch derailed things out of tunnels ??

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here