!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: an idea for revolution trains ?  (Read 603 times)

Offline nobby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21612
    • Awards
an idea for revolution trains ?
« on: September 20, 2017, 11:14:12 am »
Having been reading almost all the posts for and against what revolution trains can and cant do this train or this wagon /coach , and the valid reasons for why ben and mike stick to what they know i was try to think of something that would appeal to most people , modern image , transition , and pre war  , sitting next to my layout not think to hard , i happen to glance at my 1934 Hornby Brighton belle unit ,  and thought wouldn't it be nice if you could get those center coaches for a nice Pullman rake  and since this train is from 1934 and some of these coaches are still running now on the orient express this covers nearly 80 years , i wondered it this would be worth a serious consideration, i did have a thought about chopping up my bb set but its seems criminal to do it. apart from the hornby bb set we only have the old farish coaches , its a shame that Hornby didn't think about what else they could do with the tooling as i am sure those coaches could have been adapted and we could have some nice Pullman/orient express, trains on layouts,

anybody have thoughts on this one,worthy of consideration

neil

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: an idea for revolution trains ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:02:23 pm »
The best way to attract the attention of RevolutioN is to take the initiative and try and establish the potential level of interest in this (a poll is a good starting point) and provide evidence of the technical feasibility, e.g. which coaches/types would be good candidates, are plans available, are there preserved prototypes which could be scanned, what livery variations are there and which should be prioritised, any licensing issues (does someone own the Pullman trademark?), do people want individually-lit table lamps etcetera.

For the record I would be potentially interested in any types which would have run on Western Region services out of Snow Hill, but I've also acquired a brace of the old Farish version which look good enough for my purposes (with a little modification)...
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 03:37:41 pm »
Are the 1934 cars the all steel K types that Hornby have done in OO? I'm afraid my knowledge of Pullman coaches is pretty limited!

We have discussed coaching stock - the problem is minimising tooling costs/variations while still making them financially viable.

Cheers, Mike

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 04:00:33 pm »

Hi Neil,

The Pullmans you mention could be a good candidate provided there aren't too many different bodyshells (or people are prepared to accept just one or two types as representative) and the research is feasible - ie drawings and colour references are available.

And, of course, that they aren't on anyone else's radar.

It might also be worth putting the name of the coach in the thread title - that is likely to attract people who may not otherwise look on the erroneous assumption that Revolution "only do modern stuff"."

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:21:26 pm »
For the record I would be potentially interested in any types which would have run on Western Region services out of Snow Hill

Same here, a set of Pullman coaches that ran behind Westerns between Paddington and Wolverhampton would be of interest to me.

Information from a recent RM Web discussion on the subject:
1923 Brakes which went into LNER stock, 27 (numbered 80 until 1928) and 54. Others were 169 on SR from 1924 (was Viking until 1947), 249 on SR from 1925 (was Pearl until 1947) and Cecilia on SR from 1927.

Which suggests the vehicles in question would be of interest to modellers of other regions.

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:23:50 pm »
I post here a link referring to all Pullman Cars on British Tracks

PULLMAN CARS

The Pullman Car Co. Ltd. (formerly Pullman Co. Ltd.) was an independent company until Nationalisation in 1963, although latterly B.T.C. held a controlling interest. After 1915 each Pullman car received a schedule number, distinct from the running (car) number (First Class cars, and non-supplement dining cars in Scotland were named). Only rarely except in the case of 1960-built series (Second Class cars 332-53 of schedules 311-54) did the schedule and car numbers coincide.

Contemporary records were destroyed by a wartime bomb in 1940, and hence some details have been lost. This compilation, showing those cars allocated schedule numbers after 1915, is based mainly on the publications of the late B Haresnape and R Kidner. In these lists, ‘in service’ refers to the time in Pullman Car Co (later BTC) stock. Temporary retitling of cars is omitted. Later renamings are generally not listed separately.

http://www.britishrailways.info/pullman_cars.htm
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything