!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Making a fresh start  (Read 3007 times)

Online 25901JFM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
Re: Making a fresh start
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2018, 11:02:45 pm »
Well nothing new to report really.  Whilst catching up on the forum this evening I have been having a loco testing session (for my older loco's) / loco running in session (for new loco's).  The heritage line is running mostly diesel power at present with crews doing a spot of route learning and traction training on various diesel classes.  It is part of a more wide spread network which is developing here in an alternate reality.  I have to say that things are going scarily well, as I type this a dirty looking BR Green Derby Sulzer Type 2 D5222 or has I better know it BR Class 25, 25072 is currently trundling around on a demonstration freight train.  The real loco is a survivor and I believe it is currently stored at the Caledonian Railway either awaiting restoration or possibly undergoing restoration.   Also noted running this evening are several long gone examples of further Class 25's (25225, 25231 & 25245) and Class 20 (Green D8011 later 20011) as well as a couple of Class 20's (Railfreight liveried 20132 and BR Blue 20205) that are in reality still earning their keep on the mainline.  Anyone would think I like diesel loco's! 
There are a few tweaks to be made to the track in a couple of places when I get some time and the whole thing needs tidying up!  There is also an experiment to motorise a not so accessible point, if this is successful then it will be applied to a few more points.  When that will be is unknown at present, but I do have Sunday off this coming weekend and a long weekend the following weekend...

Online 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 08:03:50 pm »
Testing continues.  Had one of the latest Farish Class 40's running around on Monday night and discovered a small track alignment issue on a curved section that would have potentially caused a side swipe incident.  Indeed when a suitably long vehicle was placed on the adjacent track my suspicions were confirmed.  Tuesday afternoon after a slightly frustrating early turn I relayed the offending curve, however it is now has a minimum radius of 9 inches for a very short stretch which is proving a bit tight for the Class 40.  Nothing to horrendous, but I'm not happy with it so a revisit to the whole area is going to be needed, however a compromise is possible that will allow the innermost curve to be eased back to the equivalent of a Peco second radius curve, which all my stock seems to be fine with.  I'm glad I bought some spare code 55 flexi track now!  I have a long weekend off this weekend so should get some time to indulge in a spot of engineering work.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 09:22:50 pm »
I believe Northern Rail can give you plenty of advice regarding running a replacement bus service during the works :D

Online 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2018, 09:31:45 am »
 :laughabovepost:

Online 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2018, 10:18:16 pm »
 :hellosign:
Further to my last update the offending area was completely revisited on my last weekend off, was that really two weeks ago!  Another compromise to the original plan as been made but all the curves are now a minimum of Peco second radius.  I also relayed an existing straight section that I was not happy with due to a lumpy joint.  All is now good or as good as I'm going to get.  Some more loco running had been intended, but with the hot weather I've not really been in the mood.  Yesterday however I had some spare time before going to work (last one of 8 night shifts) so got some of my new tooled Farish Class 47's (Brush Type 4's in old money) out.  That did not go well 3 of the 4 that I had got out wouldn't play ball!  Cue a spot of wheel cleaning and pick up checks.  Needless to say I ran out of time and had to depart for work.  Today they have had a bit more cleaning up and a light oiling and all 4 are now performing a lot better.  I'm not a big fan of that rather thick grease that they come lubricated with either...  To be brutally honest most of them also probably need a good run in as several of them have come in to my possession in the last 4-5 years and therefore have not been out of there boxes since I've had them!  I've got some more out now, I didn't realise I had so many, I think the tally now stands at 11.  I really do need to take a few more photo's to show the progress made rather than unashamedly playing trains.  :D   

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2018, 10:21:31 pm »
Playing trains testing is vital. Carry on, that man. :)

Online 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2018, 02:49:05 pm »
Some mobile phone pics.

The view to the left.  A bit untidy I'm afraid!

The view to the right.

Class 47's on shed.  Sorry it is a little out of focus.

John

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2018, 09:18:18 pm »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
Playing trains testing is vital. Carry on, that man. :)
Most important don`t you know
      regards Derek.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2018, 09:57:10 pm »
thats a good scene, be even better when ballasted, see an oil fuel point, oil spills on the track and a depot feel. chris

Online 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2018, 01:23:24 pm »
thats a good scene, be even better when ballasted, see an oil fuel point, oil spills on the track and a depot feel. chris

Initially this was intended as a non scenic section and is just some loco sidings in the end of one of the dog-bone loops.  Which is part of the reason that it is recycled code 80 streamline rather than Code 55.  That said it is quite tempting to develop it in to a scenic area.  That could be some way off yet, my eye for scenic things is not as good as others on here.  Also my artistic skills are sadly lacking!  There is no rush though...

John 

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2018, 02:52:47 pm »
was just a thought, simple to do, for a rainy day, any effective. and happy to share thoughts on how to make a depot scene

but happy modelling

Online 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2018, 05:28:37 pm »
Another month almost gone already.  Not much as really happened, a combination of work and the warm weather has really slowed things up. 

Around four weeks ago I was sat at my desk looking at the depot and dog-bone loop and out of the blue... If I move the points on the exit of the dog-bone I can possibly improve the depot layout and possibly have the fuel point visible, rather than tucked away behind the shed.  The result is thus...

The two BRCW Type 2's are at the fueling point.  The long siding by the steel rule will be for the fuel tanks to unload. The rear siding behind the 47 is now long enough to hold something bigger than a shunter.

The revised layout has also eased the curvature of the exit from the loops.  Being a home based layout and originally intended as a non scenic element these points will remain hand operated, although I think this area will get some scenic treatment eventually.  The revised loop exits now consist of three right hand medium radius points.  The new layout with the exit points moved further left than previously...

This weekend should be my long weekend off, however with so many gaps due to vacancies and people on leave see's me starting another week of nights on Sunday.  Being a relief signalman was a good idea because...  I know, it was my career choice! 

John

Online 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2018, 02:48:47 pm »
Following on from the above mentioned alterations I did some more test running and having experienced some loco performance issues had a browse of the Train Surgery board.  What a useful resource the N Gauge Forum is!  My BR Blue Dapol NBL Type 2 (or Class 22 if you prefer) was proving to be particularly bad.  Having read up on issues with them and the Hymeks, I decided to investigate.  With the bogies out I soon discovered why.  The contacts were filthy and grease ridden.  After a good clean up of the contact strips, the contact points on top of the bogies and removal of as much of the excessive grease as possible there was a marked improvement on performance!  This led me on to check several other of my Dapol diesels which were all in a similar state.  Not all of them were poor performers, but all did benefit from a clean up.  Now bearing in mind most of these have been acquired during the period between early 2014 and 2018 means none of them have had any use, some of them having been in store for up to 4 years.  I find it disturbing that I need to be cleaning up new loco's.  Admittedly some of the older ones were not stored in ideal circumstances for a while leading up to the move and for a while after moving.
It wasn't all plain sailing, getting some of the bogies back in without having issues with the contact strips was a particular issue and one or two of the strips are not in as good a state as they should be now!  That said contact is still made and all loco's involved now run a lot better.
Going back a few years now when the Farish Peaks appeared my first one, a Class 44 was an awful runner, in the end it turned out to be nothing more than dirty wheels!  After a quick wheel clean all was good.  Again for a brand new loco, I thought this was particularly poor.
 :NGF:
John

Online 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2018, 07:44:59 pm »
Just finished attending to my two Dapol HST power cars.  Thanks again to the Train Surgery section these are both now running well. The thing that I learnt about these was that they take their power via the pinpoint end of the axles rather than the conventional wipers on the wheel backs.  One of them was suffering from excessive grease on both bogies and following a good clean ran a lot better.  The grease was everywhere!  This was a brand new one around 2015 and still needs running in.  The other one was not has bad but I still gave it a good clean and there was a marked improvement.  This one was a used one I managed to pick up on ebay and it would appear that this one has already been run in and had a bit of a clean up. 

John

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything