!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Making a fresh start  (Read 2487 times)

Offline 25901JFM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
Re: Making a fresh start
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2018, 11:02:45 pm »
Well nothing new to report really.  Whilst catching up on the forum this evening I have been having a loco testing session (for my older loco's) / loco running in session (for new loco's).  The heritage line is running mostly diesel power at present with crews doing a spot of route learning and traction training on various diesel classes.  It is part of a more wide spread network which is developing here in an alternate reality.  I have to say that things are going scarily well, as I type this a dirty looking BR Green Derby Sulzer Type 2 D5222 or has I better know it BR Class 25, 25072 is currently trundling around on a demonstration freight train.  The real loco is a survivor and I believe it is currently stored at the Caledonian Railway either awaiting restoration or possibly undergoing restoration.   Also noted running this evening are several long gone examples of further Class 25's (25225, 25231 & 25245) and Class 20 (Green D8011 later 20011) as well as a couple of Class 20's (Railfreight liveried 20132 and BR Blue 20205) that are in reality still earning their keep on the mainline.  Anyone would think I like diesel loco's! 
There are a few tweaks to be made to the track in a couple of places when I get some time and the whole thing needs tidying up!  There is also an experiment to motorise a not so accessible point, if this is successful then it will be applied to a few more points.  When that will be is unknown at present, but I do have Sunday off this coming weekend and a long weekend the following weekend...

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 08:03:50 pm »
Testing continues.  Had one of the latest Farish Class 40's running around on Monday night and discovered a small track alignment issue on a curved section that would have potentially caused a side swipe incident.  Indeed when a suitably long vehicle was placed on the adjacent track my suspicions were confirmed.  Tuesday afternoon after a slightly frustrating early turn I relayed the offending curve, however it is now has a minimum radius of 9 inches for a very short stretch which is proving a bit tight for the Class 40.  Nothing to horrendous, but I'm not happy with it so a revisit to the whole area is going to be needed, however a compromise is possible that will allow the innermost curve to be eased back to the equivalent of a Peco second radius curve, which all my stock seems to be fine with.  I'm glad I bought some spare code 55 flexi track now!  I have a long weekend off this weekend so should get some time to indulge in a spot of engineering work.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 09:22:50 pm »
I believe Northern Rail can give you plenty of advice regarding running a replacement bus service during the works :D

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2018, 09:31:45 am »
 :laughabovepost:

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2018, 10:18:16 pm »
 :hellosign:
Further to my last update the offending area was completely revisited on my last weekend off, was that really two weeks ago!  Another compromise to the original plan as been made but all the curves are now a minimum of Peco second radius.  I also relayed an existing straight section that I was not happy with due to a lumpy joint.  All is now good or as good as I'm going to get.  Some more loco running had been intended, but with the hot weather I've not really been in the mood.  Yesterday however I had some spare time before going to work (last one of 8 night shifts) so got some of my new tooled Farish Class 47's (Brush Type 4's in old money) out.  That did not go well 3 of the 4 that I had got out wouldn't play ball!  Cue a spot of wheel cleaning and pick up checks.  Needless to say I ran out of time and had to depart for work.  Today they have had a bit more cleaning up and a light oiling and all 4 are now performing a lot better.  I'm not a big fan of that rather thick grease that they come lubricated with either...  To be brutally honest most of them also probably need a good run in as several of them have come in to my possession in the last 4-5 years and therefore have not been out of there boxes since I've had them!  I've got some more out now, I didn't realise I had so many, I think the tally now stands at 11.  I really do need to take a few more photo's to show the progress made rather than unashamedly playing trains.  :D   

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2018, 10:21:31 pm »
Playing trains testing is vital. Carry on, that man. :)

Offline 25901JFM

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2018, 02:49:05 pm »
Some mobile phone pics.

The view to the left.  A bit untidy I'm afraid!

The view to the right.

Class 47's on shed.  Sorry it is a little out of focus.

John

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything