!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 53412 times)

JohnBS and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1035 on: August 18, 2018, 08:15:43 pm »
I will second that, they look awesome. Unlike @Bealman  they all look the same to me, it shows how much I know.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1036 on: August 18, 2018, 08:52:06 pm »
Easier to spot the difference at this size!

All the wagons (except the brake) were assembled today and are now making their first appearance on the layout. They're waiting in the refuge siding, presumably for a passing passenger train, as the loaded train heads south.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1037 on: August 18, 2018, 09:41:08 pm »
Excellent work, Roger

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1038 on: August 19, 2018, 12:16:01 am »
Agreed! You occasionally hear things about the Peco wagons' inaccuracies, but painted and done up in a long rake, they look great!

And the price is right!  :thumbsup:

Oh, and by the way Roger, you'll be pleased to hear my daughter renewed my NGS subscription yesterday as a present for my upcoming birthday.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1039 on: August 19, 2018, 11:24:32 am »
That is lovely work on the Peco kits, and great info train formations ... I have accumulated lots of kits, you have given my mojo a boost to try and start building them (I am pleased to say I passed the "spot the brake van chassis" test  :sweat:  Superb article in the NGS magazine, can only be a matter of time before lesser publications come calling

Must be the time of year, I had to renew my NGS membership this week too .. that's me signed up for another 3 years .... and ended up doing a "big shop" while I was there!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1040 on: August 19, 2018, 09:44:40 pm »
Agreed! You occasionally hear things about the Peco wagons' inaccuracies, but painted and done up in a long rake, they look great! And the price is right!

I agree George – the fact that they aren’t the equal of today’s models doesn’t bother me at all. It’s not as if they’re show-case models and on the layout they are but a small part of the overall scene. And at a third of the price of an assembled model they’re just the job for learning how to do the weathering.

Oh, and by the way Roger, you'll be pleased to hear my daughter renewed my NGS subscription yesterday as a present for my upcoming birthday.

Does that mean you'll get a certain issue of the Journal?!

That is lovely work on the Peco kits, and great info train formations ... I have accumulated lots of kits, you have given my mojo a boost to try and start building them.

Sounds as though you have a busy time ahead - let's see the results, please.

Must be the time of year, I had to renew my NGS membership this week too .. that's me signed up for another 3 years .... and ended up doing a "big shop" while I was there!

Definitely is that time of year - my renewal notice came with the current issue of the Journal, too. Being of a certain age I wan’t optimistic enough to pay for three years though!

A couple more views of the two trains, taken from the other end. Similar shots, but taken with the camera at different heights. The second one had some rather hasty cloning of extra grass in the right foreground to get rid of the baseboard edge.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1041 on: August 22, 2018, 09:35:40 pm »
90201 has been spared further duty on the coal trains and now enters Wrenton with an unfitted mixed freight.

And trundles on southwards.

Couldn't think of anything to do to Wrenton today but I did spend part of the afternoon twisting lengths of wire together. Wonder why...

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1042 on: August 23, 2018, 12:08:17 am »
Trees?  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #1043 on: August 23, 2018, 01:51:52 am »
Stunning. This is what I aspire to. If you didn't know better you would think that first picture was a real photo of a full sized landscape. From the sunlight to the tree trunks to the tarp on the wagon. A master at work The only giveaway is the lack of steam coming out the stack. And maybe how clean that ballast is.

Love it!

TC

Offline Bubule

• Awards
« Reply #1044 on: August 23, 2018, 05:42:07 am »
What a nice landscaping ! ! !  :drool:

Your vegetation is realy amazingly realist, It's a very good job : Stunning scenery with a fantastic atmosphere !  :heart2: :claphappy:

The line of buildings in the background of first photo is so well done that it's gaving a great strength to the photo. Nice shot !

Love your layout Roger.  :NGaugersRule:

Best regards.

Jef
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:45:43 am by Bubule »
Jef

D&RGW still alive ! ! !

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1045 on: August 23, 2018, 07:00:34 am »
a fantastic scene has come to life ..... you planning exhibitions ?

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1046 on: August 23, 2018, 09:23:15 am »
I reckon it’d win best in show at every one 👍👍 stunning
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1047 on: August 23, 2018, 11:43:30 am »
Trees?  :hmmm:

You may think that but I couldn't possibly comment!

a fantastic scene has come to life ..... you planning exhibitions ?

I think advanced years and a bad back rule out exhibiting, I'm afraid.

And maybe how clean that ballast is.

I've been meaning to talk about ballast for some time and never getting round to it. Now's the time! I don't recall ever seeing anybody mention this but I find the tone (meaning light or dark, not just colour) varies depending on viewing position. Wrenton's south end faces a bay window and looking from that end the ballast looks light. Viewed from the north end it's noticeably darker. This is logical, of course. Ballast is a rough surface unless it has been tamped down really flat; light falling on a granule from one side will illuminate that side and leave the other in the shade, just as the sun lights the moon. And as we move around the layout the perceived tone of the ballast will vary just like the phases of the moon.

When taking photos I usually have the main lamp fairly near the camera so the ballast will appear light. I bounce extra lights onto the ceiling to lighten the shadows and that adds to the problem. I guess the effect would be much less if the ballast was a darker mix - it's actually a mix of two colours of Woodlands Scenics fine grade, two parts buff to one brown.

Has anyone else noticed this effect? I have visions of people walking around their layouts now!

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1048 on: August 23, 2018, 12:52:20 pm »
It is true with the real thing too, sun, shade. But also the ballast itself differs depending on which quarry it’s come from, how old it is, whether it’s on the main line or relief line, even whether the trains have retention toilets or not.
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1049 on: August 23, 2018, 01:02:49 pm »
a beautiful piece of modelling

thank you for sharing with us

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30