!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 47958 times)

Blackbird1137 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #405 on: January 12, 2018, 03:17:04 pm »
General freight shot http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2283176

Is it my computer (or eyesight) or does that tunnel mouth look as though there's a solid wall through which the train is emerging?! Perhaps it's like platform 9 3/4...
If you look carefully, you can see that the DOWN line is cut off obliquely before the tunnel entrance and there appear to be a couple of old car tyres just outside the tunnel, so the picture may be a composite of more that one original.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #406 on: January 12, 2018, 04:16:36 pm »
Or perhaps just a bit of clumsy cloning. There appears to be a second, fainter, image of the right hand side of the curve of the arch and, more noticeable in the larger version (follow the reuse link on the page) and after a bit of tweaking in Photoshop, a third even fainter one. But why? The camera never lies, eh!

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #407 on: January 12, 2018, 04:41:15 pm »
Roger, I've been enjoying myself leafing through some books in search of a photograph of an 'A4' on the Aberdeen fish train.  I regret that I've not found one yet.  I did find this, though:

It's 46250 City of Lichfield between Perth and Stirling with the Up fish.  I understand the locomotive was changed at Perth.

The reference is:

Page 57.

I know that you have a Princess Coronation, so this might help.

Many thanks for the photographs of your splendid layout.

With all good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #408 on: January 12, 2018, 04:59:47 pm »
This isn’t the Aberdeen to Kings X fish but it is an A4 in Scotland on a fish train
https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/LNER-and-BRE-and-BRNE/LNER-Gresley-express-power/i-6jJfPzh/A

Right hand column and down 5 rows will find the picture you want
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:01:43 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #409 on: January 12, 2018, 05:15:45 pm »
Roger, I've been enjoying myself leafing through some books in search of a photograph of an 'A4' on the Aberdeen fish train.  I regret that I've not found one yet. 

Haven't got that book. Good reference, too, if I ever wanted to make City of London look filthy. I think I'll resist that temptation! I've enjoyed searching for the image - nice to look through volumes which usually sit un-viewed on a shelf. It appeared to be a train of just the white insul-fish wagons which did look very handsome.

This isn’t the Aberdeen to Kings X fish but it is an A4 in Scotland on a fish train

And some great photos in that set, too. Well worth a browse.

Thank you both.

Offline Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #410 on: January 12, 2018, 09:34:26 pm »
This is as close as I've ever got to a block working of only Fish vans, but there is a mixture of different types, presumably all insulated though. This would be typical.  It would be very rare indeed, i think, to find a fish train of exclusively the blue spot Insulfish vans:

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/keyword/Retford/i-BXGrMZq/A

I have an image in George O'Hara's "BR Steam in Scotland", page 181, of an A4 #34 Lord Faringdon at my namesake, Carmont, with a "...fast fitted fish train from Aberdeen to the South...."

The first eight vehicles are insulated vans, possibly three are of the variety available to us via the Dapol Blue Spot, there is then a BR brake van, then at least two tankers (they look like Milk tankers - possibly empties back to Dumfries-shire), another two insulated vans, what looks like a Stove-R brake, and then at least another six insulated vans.

Page 192 of the same volume, has #19 in charge of a "..Millerhill yard to Kingmoor yard fitted frish train during the early 1960's" near Gorebridge, on the Waverley route. The first two vehicles are Blus Spot Insulfish, then there are what looks like six insulated Container As on conflats, followed by an indeterminate number of vans, of various types, but again presumably all insulated. I'd hazard a guess at 12-15 vans behind the conflats.

There are a couple of shorter consists, although not A4 hauled, that may be of interest:

Two images on P177 illustrate a short working, Fraserburgh to Aberdeen (for re-marshalling, presumably as part of the afternoon (1500ish hours) express from Aberdeen to the south.

The first on shows Std 4MT 2-6-4T #80021 with nine insulfish, at least half i'd say are Blue Spots, but the others are very similar, tailed by what I'm almost certain is an ex-LMS BG (conveying parcels), 19th July 1960.

The second, presumably the same train, shows #80004 with six insulfish and the aforementioned LMS BG.

I have more images of fish trains large and small in various other books, but this was the only one to hand.

I hope that has been even a little bit useful.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #411 on: January 12, 2018, 09:35:28 pm »
Having just gotten up here in Oz, and returning to this thread, you don't think that the bricked up tunnel in that b & w photo could be exhaust smoke, perhaps?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #412 on: January 12, 2018, 11:22:05 pm »
I hope that has been even a little bit useful.

Thanks for all that. I'm getting the impression that just two Insul-fish vans are never going to make a convincing part of a train! I seem to recall reading that some of these vans were converted for general use after BR gave up the fish traffic, though I don't think the nature of the modifications was mentioned. So perhaps that explains my two. And Rule One comes in useful, too. I wish I could find the photo that started this topic!

Having just gotten up here in Oz, and returning to this thread, you don't think that the bricked up tunnel in that b & w photo could be exhaust smoke, perhaps?

I think you've got it!

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #413 on: January 13, 2018, 08:31:36 am »
Quite a few of the of blue spot fish vans were converted for parcels use and several also saw departmental / internal depot use as stores vans and equipment vans for "breakdown trains" (re-railing equipment).  This link shows a few examples http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfish this is a useful site for wagon and coaching stock images.
In parcels use, I seem to recall that a number of them were used for "Readers Digest" traffic at one time.  I'm sure it is in one of the many books I have, but I can't remember which one!
Hope this is of interest.
John

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #414 on: January 13, 2018, 08:56:50 am »
I'm with George, smoke filled tunnel and maybe a post or mile marker cutting across the down tracks?

A nice picture of Perth in that link too!

Offline Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #415 on: January 13, 2018, 09:09:19 am »
I'm with George, smoke filled tunnel and maybe a post or mile marker cutting across the down tracks?
Having had a closer look, I can just make out the tunnel arch with smoke billowing out of the entrance and the cut across the DOWN is indeed a signal post (with a signal on it!).  So it looks genuine after all.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #416 on: January 13, 2018, 07:48:33 pm »
If you download the app for “Steam World Days” magazine and then download the FREE Sample Mag, there’s a nice shot of 60004 passing Aberdeen with a fish and meat train in May 1964 on page 73.

Strongly recommend the mag anyway, A4s or not :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:38:06 pm by tutenkhamunsleeping, Reason: Corrected the magazine name. »

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #417 on: January 13, 2018, 11:00:29 pm »
This link shows a few examples http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfish this is a useful site for wagon and coaching stock images.

Thanks John. I think that must have been where I saw the reference. Judging by some of those photos I didn't overdo the weathering!

I'm sure it is in one of the many books I have, but I can't remember which one!

Glad I'm not the only one.

If you download the app for “Steam World” magazine and then download the FREE Sample Mag.

Thanks Steve. Is that available on the Apple store? - I coudn't find it using an iPad. And the mag's web site doesn't mention a free sample. By the way, having some interest in Ancient Egypt myself I've been meaning to ask you about your choice of username.

And now I'm going back to nursing my cold and sore throat. A drop of Scottish wine is called for.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #418 on: January 13, 2018, 11:48:22 pm »
Thanks Steve. Is that available on the Apple store? - I coudn't find it using an iPad. And the mag's web site doesn't mention a free sample. By the way, having some interest in Ancient Egypt myself I've been meaning to ask you about your choice of username.

Yes, I used the App Store from my iPad. Once you’ve got the app the free issue is listed along with all the others.

My username comes from a Marillion lyric (my favourite band) and was chosen purely because it’s usually untaken for log-in purposes, nothing else :thumbsup:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #419 on: January 14, 2018, 10:23:57 pm »

Yes, I used the App Store from my iPad.

It still doesn't show up when I search. Other railway mags do if I just search for 'steam'. I've never been an Apple fan!

My username comes from a Marillion lyric (my favourite band) and was chosen purely because it’s usually untaken for log-in purposes, nothing else :thumbsup:

I've used Egyptian names for logins in the past. Trouble is I can never remember which spelling variation I used!

Way off topic, sorry. So here's a new picture of the station with some recently added barrows on the far (up) platform, near the footbridge.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here