!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 44618 times)

Offline 25901JFM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #885 on: June 28, 2018, 03:14:40 pm »
Another option is a diesel piloting a steam loco.  Not because the steam loco is in trouble, but because the steam generator / boiler for the steam heating on the diesel has failed.  Certainly known to have happened on the Western Region, but I don't know if it happened anywhere else.

Offline Novice41

• Awards
« Reply #886 on: June 28, 2018, 05:38:32 pm »
Have you thought of an open day where enthusiasts could bring their own locos to be photographed on your layout? Most would be prepared to make a donation for the privilege and you would get a new range of photos. Photo buffs may have sophisticated equipment and lighting that would give a new slant.  :camera:

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #887 on: June 28, 2018, 05:48:37 pm »
i have br diesels in action volume 3 ,  g weekes bradford barton

not in print great shot of 1967 at preston class 37 piloted by a black 5

by the way check :

http://www.normanwisenden.co.uk/bradford-barton-second-hand.asp

worth a look
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:51:36 pm by crewearpley40 »

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #888 on: June 28, 2018, 10:10:47 pm »
Another option is a diesel piloting a steam loco.  Not because the steam loco is in trouble, but because the steam generator / boiler for the steam heating on the diesel has failed.  Certainly known to have happened on the Western Region, but I don't know if it happened anywhere else.

There's surely a prototype for everything. Thinking about possible scenarios it's fairly straightforward if a down train fails as there's a lay-by siding immediately available into which the train can reverse. An up train would presumably have to cross over to the down line and then go forward into the siding, leaving the loco at what, I suppose, becomes the back of the train. This assumes that the stricken loco is still capable of some movement! Could be an interesting sequence for the video if I ever find time to make it! Of course, there's no knowing if there will be a diesel available...

by the way check :
http://www.normanwisenden.co.uk/bradford-barton-second-hand.asp

That looks like an useful link - thanks.

Have you thought of an open day where enthusiasts could bring their own locos to be photographed on your layout?

I think an open day could be a bit dangerous! There's only about 3'6" between the layout and built-in wardrobes and once four light stands and four lengths of cable are in place it becomes a real trip hazard area even when it's just me. But visitors one at a time should be fairly safe so anyone visiting the Eastbourne area send me a PM and we'll try to arrange an afternoon cuppa, a scone, a look at Wrenton and a photo or two.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #889 on: June 28, 2018, 10:27:48 pm »
modellers licence roger, maybe a black 5 with a class 25 / 37 but its your layout and its picturesque

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #890 on: July 02, 2018, 10:44:12 pm »
I've been spending some rather warm hours taking more photos. The current weather plus four lamps = pretty hot! Thought you might like Wrenton in the 1930s. Those cyclists are certainly taking a long time to get down that hill...

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #891 on: July 03, 2018, 12:30:49 am »
Good one, Roger!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #892 on: July 03, 2018, 09:34:11 am »
Those cyclists are certainly taking a long time to get down that hill...

There must be a heatwave like ours. The tar has melted and they've become stuck ;D

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #893 on: July 03, 2018, 07:24:28 pm »
Roger

Many thanks for this masterpiece.  I think it is particularly agreeable to see Wrenton in the 1930s. 

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #894 on: July 04, 2018, 08:47:48 pm »
It was a chilly, misty, autumn morning as our intrepid photographer ventured forth with his trusty Nikon S-2. He hadn't loaded it with his usual Kodachrome, instead choosing the much faster, monochrome, Ilford HPS. He was rewarded with this shot of a J39 leaving the station with a short train.

I'm gradually reading the backlog of entries for this thread! This was a fantastic photo. It could have been a real-life setting.

Leon

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #895 on: July 05, 2018, 02:22:15 am »
Roger, my assumption is that your tunnels are based on Rule #1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they are I already feel better for my plan to employ them in the relatively even terrain on my layout. I think my idea may be consistent with what you've done (there the resemblance will end!). I want to hide the back of my mainline oval from view - beneath a gentle slope from the the rails of the Salisbury - Trowbridge line (to be known on my layout as the Marsh View - Biss River autocoach route - via Wiltsbury).

Leon

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #896 on: July 05, 2018, 02:55:16 pm »
Leon, I guess there must be an extra clause or two in Rule 1. One being that I'll run my trains through any scenery I feel like building! But I can justify the tunnels on Wrenton. Finchingfield, the village which inspired my buildings, sits in countryside which is gently undulating rather than really hilly and I imagine a line could have been built in the area with embankments and cuttings rather than tunnels. But there is a fairly steep hill in the village itself:

The slope is greater than I was able to represent. By the way, although my arrangement of buildings on the left of the road is much like the original I've moved the building in the right foreground to be closer to the church, eliminating three buildings. (One of them is at the other end of the layout.) So, that rising ground explains one tunnel. As I wanted the road to cross the railway at the other end I needed another hill and this time I tried to disguise the sharply curving railway track with the road bridge in front of the tunnel mouth. I don't think I've previously photographed that area to show what happens, so I've just taken this one.

Online Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #897 on: July 05, 2018, 04:06:28 pm »
But there is a fairly steep hill in the village itself:

The slope is greater than I was able to represent.... So, that rising ground explains one tunnel. As I wanted the road to cross the railway at the other end I needed another hill and this time I tried to disguise the sharply curving railway track with the road bridge in front of the tunnel mouth.

Roger,

I hope my tunnels will not be too intrusive, but it is a model! "Poetic license" is justified, to keep the trains rolling. :)  I can have the main line running trains in both directions while shunting wagons on the sidings, or bringing passengers from Marsh View to Wiltsbury.

Leon

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #898 on: July 05, 2018, 04:50:16 pm »
I hope my tunnels will not be too intrusive, but it is a model! "Poetic license" is justified, to keep the trains rolling. :)  I can have the main line running trains in both directions while shunting wagons on the sidings, or bringing passengers from Marsh View to Wiltsbury.

I like to set a couple of trains running at slightly different speeds so that they cross at a different spot every lap. It can be quite relaxing watching them! And if you can't see the whole of the layout and the trains are out of sight for some of the time, so much the better.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:53:47 pm by rogerdB »

Offline Nebucanezza

• Awards
« Reply #899 on: July 05, 2018, 10:24:51 pm »
Thank you so much for sharing Wrenton with us Roger, it really is a first rate model.  I've been following your thread closely for a while now and there's not much I can add that hasn't already been said.  Wrenton is clearly an inspiration to so many people and gives us mere mortals something to aspire to!  Keep up the good work!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything