!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 44867 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #870 on: June 26, 2018, 08:48:08 am »
Excellent photograph. Level of detail everywhere is superb  :thankyousign:

Seconded!  The low camera position adds to the realism.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #871 on: June 26, 2018, 10:01:18 am »
I can only echo what has already been said.
Your modelling is suberb and your photography underlines this. The latest picture is particularly amazing.

Thanks for sharing!
Michael

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #872 on: June 26, 2018, 02:36:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

All that is missing is some 'Photoshopped' smoke above the locos. 8-)

Chris, a search online comes up with several videos demonstrating methods of adding smoke and steam effects. They usually use the Photoshop clouds filter but I donít find the results very convincing when applied to loco exhausts.

I seem to recall, I might be wrong, that one of the model mags, and I canít recall which, discussed the idea of adding exhaust to steam locos and decided to stop doing it. But I was just looking at the feature about Carl Woodwardsís lovely Vale of Oxbury in the current Hornby Magazine (Issue 133) and there is some exhaust coming fairly vertically out of the steam locos. Itís pretty subtle but just noticeable. Not sure if itís totally honest though.

I try to keep my photos true to the model as far as possible. The main retouching I do is in the sky area. I didnít make the back scene (well, sky scene) tall enough so I often have to add a bit at the top of the picture. Thatís especially the case with the low camera position shots though that latest one used my Ďmobile skyí Ė a blue painted board that I can put behind the layout -  and didnít need much work in Photoshop. I sometimes remove areas of baseboard edge by cloning in some extra grass, but I only do that if the area involved is very small. I also retouch dust spots Ė however carefully I dust the locos and rolling stock before taking a picture there always seem to be a few specks that evade the brush!

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #873 on: June 26, 2018, 04:58:39 pm »
I intend to take time to read this entire thread - there seems to be so much good stuff! In the meantime, I'm curious about the size of the layout.

Leon

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #874 on: June 26, 2018, 05:53:15 pm »
I intend to take time to read this entire thread - there seems to be so much good stuff! In the meantime, I'm curious about the size of the layout.

Leon - It's 9'6" long with a small hinged covered extension adding 10", which eases the curves at the south end of the layout. The scenic section is 2'6" wide with a further 1' housing the fiddle yard.

Happy reading!

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #875 on: June 26, 2018, 06:39:19 pm »
That last photo is excellent, and the exhaust smoke would detract from it. Youíve just got two very skilled firemen who donít make much smoke  ;)

Cheers Timmo

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #876 on: June 27, 2018, 10:31:51 am »
Another shot for my photo album. The camera is sitting on the track and yes, I did remember to turn the power off first!. An Ivatt 2MT emerges from the tunnel as a BR 4MT leaves the goods yard.

I did a double take as at first sight I thought it was a picture of the real thing! this layout really does show for certain that less is more, and the standard of modelling is a match for Pendon. I am afraid my scenic efforts are unlikely to reach this level and leaves me green with envy - Well done indeed.

Regards,

Alex

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #877 on: June 27, 2018, 11:16:03 am »
Another track level shot. I don't think there are many more places where I can safely place the camera on the track without risking damage!

I also like this tighter crop of this image.

I'm hoping to make myself a photo album as a souvenir of Wrenton (not that I intend to part with it!) and my fairly small choice of locos is a bit frustrating when arranging new shots. With a birthday looming I thought I'd treat myself to a new one. The temptation of a Castle is great but would stretch Rule One a bit too far, despite the 64xx hiding in the fiddle yard. I've been wondering about one of those funny machines that seem to have nowhere for the coal to go and about which I know nothing. Looking at what's currently available from TMC (I want it weathered) the choice would seem to be either a Class 37 or a Class 24. So should I push Wrenton into the diesel age or go for another kettle?

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #878 on: June 27, 2018, 11:45:48 am »
How about an A1 or A2 ?   8)

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #879 on: June 27, 2018, 01:39:08 pm »
I've been wondering about one of those funny machines that seem to have nowhere for the coal to go and about which I know nothing. Looking at what's currently available from TMC (I want it weathered) the choice would seem to be either a Class 37 or a Class 24. So should I push Wrenton into the diesel age or go for another kettle?

A good question, Roger.  I really appreciate Wrenton and I see it as being around 1958.  What do you think?  The EE 'Type 3' Co-Co (1961) is maybe a bit too late.  The BR 'Type 2' Bo-Bo (1958) would fit in.  A Brush 'Type 2' A1A-A1A (1957) would be a perfect fit for the (assumed) era and location.

Having now concluded my objective comments - please keep Wrenton steam!  Your photographs of a steam locomotive hauling a formation of crimson and cream carriages are an absolute delight.

With many thanks and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #880 on: June 27, 2018, 03:19:49 pm »
D5031 (BR type 2, later class 24) is available from TMC in as-built condition, green without warning panels.  New to March depot June 1959, soon transferred to Stratford for a couple of years before being drafted to Willesden in 1961. Sounds about perfect.

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #881 on: June 27, 2018, 05:11:45 pm »
You could always have a steam loco 'rescuing' a stricken diseasel ;)

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #882 on: June 27, 2018, 08:27:06 pm »
Another pic for my photo album, a general view looking north.

This is one superb photo!
I love the A4 and blood & custards....

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #883 on: June 27, 2018, 08:57:03 pm »
If you do 'go diesel' (I prefer the mixed steam and diesel era), my vote would be for the typically ER Brush 'Type 2' A1A-A1A (1957) in BR Green without any yellow warning panel.

Re: 'fake smoke', I understand your opinion and respect it. Adding such smoke was the only possible improvement in realism that I could think of. 8-)

I also prefer the tighter crop of the image of the two tank locos.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #884 on: June 28, 2018, 12:09:15 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions.

How about an A1 or A2 ?   8)

I have thought about A1s and A2s in the past, but I'm thinking something smaller this time. I have also thought of an A3 in BR livery - my current 4472 looks lovely in LNER colours but I can't use it too often!

A good question, Roger.  I really appreciate Wrenton and I see it as being around 1958.  What do you think?  The EE 'Type 3' Co-Co (1961) is maybe a bit too late.  The BR 'Type 2' Bo-Bo (1958) would fit in.  A Brush 'Type 2' A1A-A1A (1957) would be a perfect fit for the (assumed) era and location.

Having now concluded my objective comments - please keep Wrenton steam!  Your photographs of a steam locomotive hauling a formation of crimson and cream carriages are an absolute delight.

I've always been vague about the period (and lots of other things!). The village buildings are much more like their current condition than in the 1950s, for example. If the railway had ever reached the real village of Finchingfield it certainly wouldn't have seen much more than small tank locos. So the layout is pure fantasy. I suspect you may agree with me that a layout doesn't have to be an exact reproduction of the real thing.

Have no fear! - Wrenton will always be mainly steam so there will no doubt be more pics of blood and custard to look forward to.

If you do 'go diesel' (I prefer the mixed steam and diesel era), my vote would be for the typically ER Brush 'Type 2' A1A-A1A (1957) in BR Green without any yellow warning panel.

Two votes for that, then. TMC do list a Class 31 but with full yellow ends. So...

D5031 (BR type 2, later class 24) is available from TMC in as-built condition, green without warning panels.  New to March depot June 1959, soon transferred to Stratford for a couple of years before being drafted to Willesden in 1961. Sounds about perfect.

...perhaps D5031 wins.

You could always have a steam loco 'rescuing' a stricken diseasel ;)

I did suffer that once, when commuting weekly between Paddington and Evesham. Might make a nice photo sequence!

And what have I decided? - wait for the photos!!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything