!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 44622 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #525 on: February 05, 2018, 11:23:15 am »
I've found that by using two short shank Dapol dummy knuckle couplers, I can get the corridor connectors of my Dapol Gresley to just about touch while still getting around 10.5 inch curves.

I assume you mean the ones supplied in the box. I have to admit I've always found them too small for my ageing eyesight to see how to get them to couple up! I did, for a while, use one long and one short together which made life a bit easier, but only closes the coaches by about 1mm more than the normal couplings. So convenience won.

I'm not being critical but a bit like my early Farish MK1s, those coaches could do with shorter shank couplings so as to 'concertina' the corridor connectors as they appear somewhat long.

I'll put some on the shopping list.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #526 on: February 06, 2018, 02:21:16 pm »
Some time back I posted a picture of a corner of the village.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg473221#msg473221

One of the comments in a reply was:

Add a couple of cyclists rolling down the hill towards you and you'd think it was full size.

I'm always happy to listen to suggestions, so here are the recently installed cyclists in a slightly different view of the same corner.

Offline keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #527 on: February 06, 2018, 02:28:58 pm »
When can I move in?  ;)

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #528 on: February 06, 2018, 02:35:28 pm »
Fabulous
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #529 on: February 06, 2018, 02:42:02 pm »
Superb modelling  :greatpicturessign:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #530 on: February 06, 2018, 02:57:14 pm »
All I can say is.............. :jawdropping:

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #531 on: February 06, 2018, 03:17:21 pm »
As a cyclist myself I love that picture.  Works really well and adds to the character of the scene.

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #532 on: February 06, 2018, 04:55:38 pm »
They fit right in,don't they, I think elf and safety would demand some street lights though,bet they're on the to do list.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #533 on: February 06, 2018, 05:35:00 pm »
They fit right in,don't they, I think elf and safety would demand some street lights though,bet they're on the to do list.

Well, the village where the original buildings are to be found has no street lighting to this day. I grew up in London and one of the things I remember about childhood visits to the village is looking up at the night sky and seeing the Milky Way and hundreds of stars which were invisible in London. There are no telegraph poles, either.

I could, perhaps, add one or two lamps in the station approach road and one definite need at the junction with the main road is a direction sign. One arm will point to Borchester - not the Archers place but one of the layouts I remember loving when I was a kid, seeing it at Central Hall, Westminster.

Incidentally the current (March) issue of BRM features vintage layouts including Borchester and Buckingham. Best of all, an article about Dave and Shirley Rowe whose work must have inspired many modellers. There's lots of Dave's work in his book "Architectural Modelling in 4mm Scale". Not all of his methods would be feasible in 2mm, but the photos of his work are inspirational.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #534 on: February 06, 2018, 08:42:07 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up on the BRM, Roger. I'll keep an eye out for it here. I too am a huge fan of Denny's Buckingham branch and also Borchester. It's great that those layouts have been preserved.

The article on the Rowes sounds interesting, too!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #535 on: February 06, 2018, 10:56:48 pm »
Cracking photo of the new additions Roger. So lifelike.  :thumbsup:

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #536 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:23 am »

Hi there,

Great work. Thanks for taking the time to post photos - very inspirational!

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #537 on: February 09, 2018, 11:04:48 pm »
Iíve been playing with couplings and corridor connectors again, but first a picture from last week with Gresley coaches still fitted with standard couplings.

I gave up on the knuckle couplers that came in the box with the Gresley coaches and Iíve now tried using GraFar short couplings instead. I found that I had to leave the original coupling on one side of each pair. That allowed enough room for the corridor connectors to fit in once they had been reduced in length. In this double photo the left hand shot shows the original couplings in place and the right hand one shows the shortened version. Looks a bit better but the couplings are very reluctant to stay together and I had to use tacky wax to prevent random uncoupling.

Frustrating business, getting the trains right. Iím much happier making buildings!

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #538 on: February 09, 2018, 11:17:57 pm »
I had the same problem with my Gresleys,my solution was to cut off the hook part of the coupling and replace it with a hook and eye system made from electric guitar string, it works fine if you have a fixed rake.

Regards   Bill

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #539 on: February 09, 2018, 11:38:26 pm »
I had the same problem with my Gresleys,my solution was to cut off the hook part of the coupling and replace it with a hook and eye system made from electric guitar string, it works fine if you have a fixed rake.

Regards   Bill

I've been thinking about trying some sort of hook and bar or hook and loop idea for fixed rakes too. I'm not rushing to do the six coach rake of teak finished coaches but there are couple of four coach sets to play with - the blood and custards shown in the photo and a set in maroon. Maybe one of those could be subject to experimentation...

Another thing that frustrates me with these coaches is that they don't line up properly with one another. Look down a rake and one or two coaches will look to be slightly offset from their neighbours. I assume this is because the couplings aren't attached to the bogies but are separately pivoted. Does anyone else see this problem?

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything