!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 41264 times)

Mito, mdt320, darve, pape_timmo, wignall, bob lawrence and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #480 on: January 22, 2018, 11:27:19 pm »
Yes I agree with most of whats been said about weathering, little is best which what I am planning with my Union Mills 3f. A nice reasonably priced reliable airbrush is the Iwatta Neo which I was lucky enough to get for last Christmas. Must admit to using my old and trusty Badger for painting my 3f this time.

Your model railway never ceases to amaze me, the standard of modeling is so high, I am sure you will get the right balance with your weathering.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #481 on: January 23, 2018, 11:40:56 am »
A nice reasonably priced reliable airbrush is the Iwatta Neo which I was lucky enough to get for last Christmas.

When I was giving some thought to buying an airbrush it was the Neo range that seemed to be the best price/quality option. I was thinking the trigger operated ones might be the best bet, as I'd read somewhere that they were a good choice for elderly, rheumatic hands. But by the time I'd added the price of a compressor, etc, I decided not to take the plunge.

With my carriages its really only the roofs that I'm not happy with and I guess if I did buy an airbrush in the future I could take the IPA to them and then spray them.

Here's another example of TMC's work. Rule One definitely applies to this train running through an East Anglian village!

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #482 on: January 23, 2018, 01:51:09 pm »
One alternative for weathering roofs is to hand paint in a suitable MATT grey,then use weathering powders of the required shade,seal by a quick waft is all that is needed of matt varnish from a distance,not too close or else the powder disappears.
Regards    Bill

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #483 on: January 23, 2018, 02:07:33 pm »
One alternative for weathering roofs is to hand paint in a suitable MATT grey,then use weathering powders of the required shade,seal by a quick waft is all that is needed of matt varnish from a distance,not too close or else the powder disappears.

I suppose my method is a wet version of that! I wash on some Tensocrom medium and while it's still wet I work in small amounts of colour, usually from the Lifecolor Rail Weathering set. I used to use a similar method in my paintings - a tiny amount of paint mixed with lots of medium to produce a glaze. A technique much used by portrait and figure painters who often build up an area with many layers of transparent paint.

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #484 on: January 23, 2018, 02:42:09 pm »
I did something similar many years ago ,when I was into wargames ,lots of washes and dry brushing.

Bill

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #485 on: January 23, 2018, 05:59:29 pm »
With my carriages its really only the roofs that I'm not happy with and I guess if I did buy an airbrush in the future I could take the IPA to them and then spray them.

Careful! IPA will take off (or risk taking off) the underlying factory paintwork too - so I'd use something far less potent!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #486 on: January 23, 2018, 07:50:09 pm »
Careful! IPA will take off (or risk taking off) the underlying factory paintwork too - so I'd use something far less potent!
I kept checking the colour that was coming off onto the paper towel I was using and stopped as soon as there was a hint of the maroon. Most of the weathering had gone before it got to that stage.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #487 on: January 23, 2018, 08:38:53 pm »
Yes I would take care using  IPA , you have to take care cleaning the track with it.
The Iawatta Airbrush I have is the Neo TN1 which is a double action but trigger operated. My old Badger 150 is double action, but you have to press for air and then pull back for paint, the trigger one is easier to use for anyone with dodgy fingers. I have some GF weathered wagons I bought before Christmas and I am not totally happy with the weathering on them, I need to tweak them a bit to my liking.
Lil Chris

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #488 on: January 23, 2018, 10:14:18 pm »
The Iawatta Airbrush I have is the Neo TN1 which is a double action but trigger operated.

Yes, that's the one that I was considering. Sounds like a good buy. Maybe, one day...

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #489 on: January 24, 2018, 08:59:25 pm »
Bittern has been re-united with its (undamaged) carriages.

And a closer view.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #490 on: January 24, 2018, 09:26:54 pm »
Cracking photos and a super loco. Sadly, I had to return mine due to running issues. It was not my region but, rule 1, and you've gotta love an A4.  :D

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #491 on: January 24, 2018, 09:32:06 pm »
Cracking photos and a super loco. Sadly, I had to return mine due to running issues. It was not my region but, rule 1, and you've gotta love an A4.  :D

I agree with all the above. The coaches look far more realistic in this condition as part of an important express train and match the lovely A4 (I prefer them in this Late BR livery and condition).

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #492 on: January 25, 2018, 09:49:53 am »
Just to put a finishing touch to your already excellent coaches, Roger, may I recommend these coach corridor connectors from another forum member. They are simple but very good.

http://www.mbmodelrailwayproducts.co.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #493 on: January 25, 2018, 08:26:42 pm »
Hi Rodger, I have received my NGS magazine today, and there is a article on weathering coach roofs using salt, looks very good, worth a look.
Lil Chris

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #494 on: January 25, 2018, 10:17:17 pm »
Just to put a finishing touch to your already excellent coaches, Roger, may I recommend these coach corridor connectors from another forum member. They are simple but very good.

http://www.mbmodelrailwayproducts.co.uk

They certainly look good. Will give them a try, so many thanks for the tip.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything