!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 47725 times)

Hailstone, pape_timmo and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #435 on: January 18, 2018, 10:57:24 pm »
The BR Lined Green Standard Class loco. is one of my favourite models. I'm glad that it's in immaculate condition.

It is a handsome beast and I think I'll keep it pristine. I haven't got enough courage to tackle weathering an expensive loco yet!

My Union Mills 3f I am working on has the motor in the tender so its going to have to be a full load in mine. Really nice pics of your two locos, I need to use a better camera to take some pics of my layout, I tend to use my phone most of the time.

I look forward to seeing the painted 3F. I don't have a smart phone (I'm still in the 20th Century!) so it's either an iPad (tricky to use to say the least), a little point and shoot job which I used for the earlier shots on this thread, or the Olympus that I'm using now. It does take longer to use the latter but I've always enjoyed my photography.

It's certainly on my to-do list for my steamers. I was considering mugging a few 'first-footers' but reckon I can persuade my bruv-in-law to part with a lump of coal I can take my angst out on :D

I reckon a bag of Peco coal is easier and less messy than smashing up a lump...

Years ago, I got a lump from the tender of a 'Hiker', on the Fort William - Mallaig service, for modelling purposes.  This appealed to my sense of whimsy.

...but I can see the appeal of that!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #436 on: January 18, 2018, 11:37:26 pm »
Yes, I've read of similar indulgences in the magazines. Things like rocks in model quarries being from the real location and so on.

There's a certain satisfaction to be had from knowing that.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Zogbert Splod

• N Gauge Society Number: 25518
    • Zog Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: January 19, 2018, 02:56:16 am »
Yes, I've read of similar indulgences in the magazines. Things like rocks in model quarries being from the real location and so on.

There's a certain satisfaction to be had from knowing that.
On a similar theme, I am preparing a drawing for each house that I ever lived in to add to the layout.  (well, most of them anyhow)
I'm also, so far casually, looking out for one of each of the cars that I have owned over the years.

Regards, Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #438 on: January 19, 2018, 03:11:41 am »
Yes, I've seen that in magazines too. If my layout ever gets finished (BIG if), I intend to include a model of Chez Bealman.

You haven't got a model of your place tucked away in your superb village, Roger?

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #439 on: January 19, 2018, 11:49:00 am »
You haven't got a model of your place tucked away in your superb village, Roger?

No George, Iíve never lived in the village and I donít think the houses Iíve lived in would fit, either.

My maternal grandfather was born a couple of miles away from the centre of the village. His presumably widowed wife later lived right in the centre, in part of one of the cottages Iíve modelled. My mother used to remember childhood holidays with her there. During the war years my parents would cycle from North London to the village at weekends to get away from the bombing and they stayed in another of the cottages Iíve modelled. And a cousin lived in yet another, her daughter running the little shop next to the Red Lion, also on the layout. I spent several childhood holidays in the area so I think the village is in my blood!

So my choice of these buildings as prototypes for my models is pure nostalgia. Thereís been discussion here and elsewhere about why we choose to model a particular period Ė same reason I think.

My village is very different from the prototype, though, having to be set out along a single road whereas the real thing clusters round a pond and greens. Search Google Maps for Finchingfield to visit one of the prettiest villages in the country.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #440 on: January 19, 2018, 01:59:55 pm »
I just Googled some pictures and have to say it was just like looking at pictures of your layout. You've captured the style and materials of the real thing so well I could have believed they were pictures of Wrenton I was looking at.

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #441 on: January 19, 2018, 04:43:02 pm »
I just googled it too,it's an English idyll,there's no use denying it,you have to build an extension to include a water feature and that bridge,then get a figure of Miss Marple.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #442 on: January 19, 2018, 07:33:02 pm »
Thereís been discussion here and elsewhere about why we choose to model a particular period Ė same reason I think.

It certainly is for me, green diesels are my childhood memories, and green DMUs for our trips to Felixstowe. I wonder if modelling steamers will die off as future generations have no memory of them in everyday use?

Oh and I have a depiction of my old shop on the layout  :D

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #443 on: January 19, 2018, 10:54:01 pm »
I just googled it too,it's an English idyll,there's no use denying it,you have to build an extension to include a water feature and that bridge,then get a figure of Miss Marple.

If only I had the space to do it! When I started this project I was making some buildings and thinking about the possibility of a model of the centre of the village, complete with the pond and greens. But it would have been very large and the temptation to have some trains was just too great!

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #444 on: January 19, 2018, 11:49:03 pm »
Understandable, but I don't think there's a modeller out there that dosen't wish for more room.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #445 on: January 20, 2018, 11:40:48 am »
I wonder if modelling steamers will die off as future generations have no memory of them in everyday use?

Perhaps preserved steam lines will be enough to keep the interest of younger generations and inspire them to model the steam age despite never having known it. And there seems to be a good choice of kits for model ships, planes, cars, tanks, etc of eras gone by. The past will always be a fascinating place.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #446 on: January 20, 2018, 11:59:22 am »
Yes, I think that will be the case.

We build models of long gone ships and planes, after all.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #447 on: January 20, 2018, 12:33:52 pm »
I have a very distinct preference for steam even though I was born a couple of years after steam had disappeared. I guess I picked up my preference from parents & older relatives, books, film & television and the odd visit to preserved lines.

I was just in one of my local shops chatting to the owner about locos and they said they don't like to hold too much non steam in stock as it's much slower to sell than steam. However from observation, the client base appears to be firmly my age and above which could account for it.

So whilst the balance may be shifting from steam to deisel and electric, I don't think it'll ever be completely out of favour.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #448 on: January 20, 2018, 08:48:57 pm »
Iíd intended to weather some carriages this afternoon, but instead I found myself de-weathering some. The train usually hauled by my A4 has three factory weathered coaches and I think the effect on the sides looks to be overdone especially when compared with a pristine coach. Hereís a pic Iíve used before:

I used IPA on a kitchen paper towel to remove as much of the weathering as I could without risking taking off the base colour as well. As a precaution I then wiped over the side with another towel dampened with water, though I expect the IPA had evaporated by then. I havenít got all of the weathering off, the windows being especially tricky. Hereís one of the coaches with the work started.

So the next job is to re-weather the three and the remaining coaches, but rather more subtly, so they can be re-united with Bittern.

I think Iíll steer clear of factory weathering in the future!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #449 on: January 20, 2018, 09:03:11 pm »
Thanks for this. I agree that, for an express train, the coaches are too dirty. Your modified weathering looks just right to me.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here