!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How many box files are too many?  (Read 893 times)

Online bob lawrence

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
How many box files are too many?
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:04:03 am »
Just getting into a box file layout and in the planning stage. How many boxes are too many? Wanted to use two but practically, for what I want, it extends to three, is this too many?
How many have others?

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
Re: How many box files are too many?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:16:02 am »
Arguably, it should by ONE only to be in the spirit of the original box-file layouts...

Any more, and you are better to build the layout on a proper timber baseboard, though you could incorporate a box-file style folding lid...

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:28:00 am »
I've have also been thinking of making a box file layout when I retire at the end of October.
I was thinking of two linked boxes.
So...i suppose it will be box fileS layout then    :D

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 10:01:47 am »
Arguably, it should by ONE only to be in the spirit of the original box-file layouts...

True, but would another box file holding a fiddle yard count?

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 12:10:11 pm »
Personally I struggle with the concept of a single box file being classed as a layout, to me it is more of a diorama than a layout.  Not enough operational interest for me I'm afraid.
I would say that if three box files is what it takes to make the design you want work, then go for it.  A modular box file layout if you like?  I would think it would make storage easier when not in use than say a conventional timber baseboard.  At the end of the day it is your layout (if you choose to build it) and you need it to give you enjoyment in both building and operating.  What theme were you going for out of interest?
John

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 02:00:26 pm »
As a result of your Y question I have been laying out plans for my next perhaps-project, being about 3-bf in size (edit later after a cup of coffee = 4-bf !! )  incorporating a 3-road station (2 platforms and a centre track) So I have been thinking :--

If the box files can still perform their original function - ie. be parked on a shelf to conveniently store their contents when not in use then I would say "as many as necessary" aka Rule1

If however they need to be permanently afixed to a shelf/table/baseboard to function then they become just another layout but with a lid (or lids)

To be individually storable they will need to have some sort of coupling mechanism like what the module boys use, possibly using Kato stubs ?
Infact they could then be described as boxules ? :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:24:19 pm by MalcolmAL »

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 02:48:17 pm »
Is using an A3 or A2  boxfile considered cheating?

Online bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 03:45:10 pm »
Like you John I personally can't get exited about a single box file but there are plenty who do. I have therefore decided to use the three boxes. I have been taken by inglenook shunting puzzles but including extra interest in my layout, hence extending it to three boxes.

The plywood shape is representative of the inside dimensions of three box files. As I need a couple more turnouts to complete the layout I have photocopied those I still need i.e. Y and LH turnouts and put them in place.
The Y turnouts will give a runaround (if this is what it's called).
This layout will, I am hoping, give me lots of scope for shunting, the lengths of the sidings will be longer than in a conventional inglenook, but the same rules will apply.
If anyone has any thoughts on how to improve it please feel free to say.

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 04:02:29 pm »
Just did a Google on A2 & A3 box files, about on a par with hens' teeth or rocking horse dung. Found one listed on Amazon "currently unavailable, we don't know when it will be available" a few lever arch, or bankers box types or just A2 or A3 size boxes no "box files"
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline hatter3127

• N Gauge Society Number: 25954
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 11:33:39 pm »
Personally, I use 2 box files linked together for mine.
I know purists will cry horror, but I actually wanted to be able to run a train, and not a class 4 or similar very short wheel base loco (such as a pug!) and half a dozen 4 wheel short wheel base wagons.

What's worse for mine I intend (when the layout is done) to have 3 "modules" made up of 2 joined box files (6 box-files end to end in total). Reason being is we live in a 3-bed mid terraced house that we rent. No intention to build something fixed. There's also not the room! HOWEVER the 3 modules will stack very nicely on top of each other on the top of my book shelf when done.
Yes! I am thinking of a more traditional layout for the next project (Tim Horton makes laser cut base boards removing the dependence on my poor carpentry skills!!!), but I say rule 1 applies.

Also, have been toying with the idea of a box file fiddle yard too, to use across both Boxvale (current project) and the next project too, but this again will probably be two joined box files....

Now trying to convince my self NOT to do a layout in the back yard also!!! God help me!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 09:22:27 am »

Now trying to convince my self NOT to do a layout in the back yard also!!! God help me!

Resistance is futile. You have already been assimilated.
Signed - The Borg

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 09:32:21 am »
I used 4 Foolscap/A4 sized files in a row but needed a thin timber strengthener to support it.  I didn't build a 'proper layout' as I was due to move house and wanted something as a practice piece.  I probably wouldn't use more than 3 if I did it again and would simplify the layout plan.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:59:34 am by Jeremy Edwards »

Offline hatter3127

• N Gauge Society Number: 25954
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 10:04:33 am »

Resistance is futile. You have already been assimilated.
Signed - The Borg

Damn it!!!! Suppose I'd better get measuring up then!!!!

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 07:38:41 pm »
I say then rise to the challenge!! I've just googled "Layout" this is the result of my search

layout
ˈleɪaʊt/Submit
noun
the way in which the parts of something are arranged or laid out.
"the road layout"
the way in which text or pictures are set out on a page.
"the layout is uncluttered and the illustrations are helpful"
the process of setting out material on a page.
"doing layout for newspapers and magazines"
synonyms:   arrangement, geography, design, organization, make-up, shape;

So the way I see it a 'Box file Layout' should be just that. No extensions, just one box containing a layout. The challenge is how creative you can be with your modelling in such a confined area! 

How about an NGF boxfile competition? Entries to be judged at next years TINGS!   

Offline 3142

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 06:22:55 pm »
I thought the appeal of a box file is the "off the shelf" nature of the product and their self contained nature.

The strength and portability of multiple box file could also be an issue.

However a railway in a box opens up many possibilities, I've always been tempted the 22l really useful boxes

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here