!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Molesworth Vale  (Read 5258 times)

Offline andy-sf

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Molesworth Vale
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2017, 05:31:33 am »
Hi Webbo,

The main reason for splitting the layout into the four sections is convenience. It allows me to easily move it out of its current home for reasons such as decorating or potentially a house move. In reality, once set up, it will likely not get moved but it's great to have that option.

- Andy

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2017, 07:04:57 am »
it was very satisfying to see some movement.

And satisfying to watch. Great looking layout, I look forward to following. Seeing the way you’ve done the woodwork for the track contours has given me some ideas.  :greatpicturessign:

Thanks for sharing

Paul
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2017, 07:16:46 am »
Excellent work. Your benchwork reminds me of the late David Jenkinson's Little Long Drag.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2017, 01:43:59 am »
Hi Everyone,

It's been quite a while since my last post and due to travel commitments, things may continue to be somewhat irregular for a week or two. Work has been progressing whenever I've been able to find the time and enough has now been achieved to merit an update.

First up was finishing the connection that allows trains to skip the fiddle yard and station. Having now wired a few sets of points, Ive figured out a decent process to follow that is making the job a little faster and less stressful. With the completion of this, I now have a nearly complete loop section that can be used for my first powered running session (hopefully by Christmas, just in case Santa decides to treat me some new toys).

Attention has now shifted to the ten track fiddle yard and the 'southern' throat was tackled first. After some lengthy sessions preparing the points and positioning/marking things up so that there were no conflicts with point motors and baseboard supports, the first few were secured in place.

Moving to the 'northern' end, I mirrored the track plan and joined up the first three sidings. Happily, there is significantly more storage than I currently need, even if running nice long trains - the 4 center tracks are almost 6 ft long so I can easily run some 7 coach passenger trains and a fantastic long freight or two - with the outer sidings getting progressively shorter, dropping down to no less than 4 ft. The clearances look tight but are actually not too bad. With all this track going down, the mess of wires hanging under the layout is becoming quite a daunting sight. I'm really not looking forward to connecting all this up!

Last but not least, I've also laid part of the northern fiddle yard exit/station approach, which gave me the chance to get a feel for how the high bridge over the line will look. I need to paint the structure before I can position it and lay track across to complete my basic loop, but I'm hopeful that I can find some time to work on that this week. I intend either for a canal to pass under the bridge alongside the railway and disappear into a tunnel at the same point as the railway (need to research options for constructing the 'channel' this would sit in), or for a road to occupy the same location as it starts to climb up and around to the left (I'm thinking along the lines of Cheddar Gorge). What are everyone's thoughts on these options?

Hopefully my next update won't be quite such a wait...

- Andy

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2017, 07:19:06 am »
Good looking bridge Andy.   :thumbsup:

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2017, 08:26:15 am »
Good looking bridge Andy.   :thumbsup:

Thanks Keith. I’d love to take the credit but that really belongs to Justin and co. at www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk - it’s one of their fabulous laser cut wood kits. I highly recommend them.

- Andy

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2017, 08:55:44 am »
Andy

Congratulations on your amazing progress.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2017, 11:33:01 am »
Good progress, Andy.
How do you access the fiddle yard if something goes awry please? :uneasy:

Offline jools1959

• N Gauge Society Number: 27226
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2017, 11:46:15 am »
 :greatpicturessign:

Hi Andy,

Great progress and I share the same statements as everyone else.  Can I ask who made the girder bridge?

Offline jools1959

• N Gauge Society Number: 27226
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2017, 11:49:44 am »
Can I ask who made the girder bridge?

Maybe I should read your posts as just seen in your last one, you mentioned who makes it  :doh: :doh: :doh:

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2017, 12:26:57 pm »

Andy,

Just to agree with what everyone else has said really, looking really good.

Do agree with NPN though, how do you access the Fiddle yard if something falls off??? the Backscene looks a little tall to lean over  :worried: :worried:

Another quick question??  Where do you intend to put your RAF station, with it's collection of Cruise Missiles and the ring of CND Women + MOD Policemen  ;) ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2017, 12:41:20 pm »
Yes, looking really good.
I too, of course, wonder how you reach the fiddle yard plus.....how do you keep an eye on what’s happening over there?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline andy-sf

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2017, 06:11:32 pm »

Why would anyone think that something could possibly go awry in my fiddle yard??? What a crazy notion! ;) I currently have access from one end of the yard where I can easily get at any derailments on the points and when I've finished the basic decorating of the room, the whole layout will move along slightly such that I will also have similar access from the other end. The center section can also be reached by leaning over the back scene (one of the perks of being tall with a good 'wingspan'). In order to keep an eye on whats happening back there I have a couple of very cheap wifi mini cameras which will view the yard from each end. These will be set up to transmit to an old tablet that will sit at my operating position, or maybe even get built into the control panel, depending on how ambitious I get!

Another quick question??  Where do you intend to put your RAF station, with it's collection of Cruise Missiles and the ring of CND Women + MOD Policemen  ;) ;) ;)

Sadly, the RAF station is situated just outside of my available modeling area ;)

- Andy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2017, 09:25:45 pm »

Why would anyone think that something could possibly go awry in my fiddle yard??? What a crazy notion! ;) I currently have access from one end of the yard where I can easily get at any derailments on the points and when I've finished the basic decorating of the room, the whole layout will move along slightly such that I will also have similar access from the other end. The center section can also be reached by leaning over the back scene (one of the perks of being tall with a good 'wingspan'). In order to keep an eye on whats happening back there I have a couple of very cheap wifi mini cameras which will view the yard from each end. These will be set up to transmit to an old tablet that will sit at my operating position, or maybe even get built into the control panel, depending on how ambitious I get!

Sadly, the RAF station is situated just outside of my available modeling area ;)

- Andy

I guessed you might have a wizard way of dealing with the fiddle yard, unlike my dinosaur lo-tech cheapskate version............. :-[

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6094.msg469050#msg469050

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2017, 10:48:28 pm »
It doesn't feel like three months have passed since I last caught this thread. And WOW, haven't you been busy Andy(!)? Really impressive work and at a blistering pace too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

@andy-sf
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here