!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Plym Bridge (my retirement project)  (Read 12797 times)

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Plym Bridge (my retirement project)
« Reply #270 on: June 19, 2018, 08:34:20 pm »
I have amazed myself :o
Thanks Nick

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: June 19, 2018, 09:00:43 pm »
Hello, sorry to hear of your troubles Di, looking forward to seeing the layout back on track.
    regards Derek

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #272 on: June 20, 2018, 07:52:31 am »
Sorry to hear of your problems Di.

Keep persevering. Looking on the bright side, your retirement does mean that you have more time to tackle these kind of problems! (Although personally I find I have less time since I retired...) :hmmm:

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2018, 03:32:59 pm »

Using existing baseboard, buildings and a mix of old and new track this is what the new PLYMBRIDGE may look like, all and any constructive criticism welcome. A majority of the visable track will be Peco code 55 with electro frog points, the hidden curves and curved points will be Peco code 80 as there are as yet no code 55 curved points. I will probably go for wire in tube operation for the points which will allow me to add servos at a later date if I decide to go down the automation route.

I use code 55 for the scenic side and code 80 for the fiddle yard with the peco code 80 curved points and I've had absolutely no issues with this configuration.

What I would say is to fit a piece of code 80 track between the curved point and the code 55, that way you get a smoother transition between the codes, and a smooth run into the points.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:37:22 pm by Jack, Reason: add picture »
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline Ditape

• N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: June 21, 2018, 01:52:56 pm »

Still messing around with ideas for the rebuild, still using Peco track, Set track for the hidden/end curves and set track curved points as I unfortunately  do not have the space for the code 55 electrofrog ones being 18&36" radius and my boards are only 30" wide. This variation gives a little more room for freight operations. I think I may need to rename the layout as any resemblance to Plymbridge has gone so I was thinking along the line of Rattery a real place near the main line that never had a station in real life so stayed a small village.   
Diane Tape

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: June 21, 2018, 05:31:26 pm »
Definitely more interesting than Plan A.  :thumbsup:

For some strange reason the Thank You is shown as Locked  ???

Hopefully one of our Mods can fix that.

Dave G

Moderator Comment Someone pressed a wrong button but it is now unlocked
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:56:45 pm by Caz »

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #276 on: June 21, 2018, 09:16:05 pm »
I have code 55 and code 80 on my new set up. It is on a non scenic section, the join between the two is on a straight section and does not use rail joiners.  The code 55 has suitable packing to bring the rail top as level as I can with the code 80.  It is not dead level, but so far testing with different loco's and rolling stock as not caused any running issues.  Good luck with your change of plan Di and I look forward to seeing developments.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:17:26 pm by 25901JFM »

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2018, 09:39:56 pm »
I have code 55 and code 80 on my new set up. It is on a non scenic section, the join between the two is on a straight section and does not use rail joiners.  The code 55 has suitable packing to bring the rail top as level as I can with the code 80.

Yup. That's another way round it and, if necessary, use a linking wire rather than the missing fishplate if you worry about electrical continuity.

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2018, 10:03:00 pm »
I have code 55 and code 80 on my new set up. It is on a non scenic section, the join between the two is on a straight section and does not use rail joiners.  The code 55 has suitable packing to bring the rail top as level as I can with the code 80.

Yup. That's another way round it and, if necessary, use a linking wire rather than the missing fishplate if you worry about electrical continuity.

Hi Mick.
My join actually forms part of a section break so has a feed either side.  Electrickery is not my strong point but my wiring and switches all seem to be doing what I need them to!!!

Offline Ditape

• Awards
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2018, 11:00:16 pm »
With the quick delivery from Track shack I have started the remodel of the east end, the west end will be a little longer as the track for that is coming from  Cheltenham model centre via Amazon as I had a gift card to use up, it was ordered the day before the track shack order I wonder how long it will take to get here. I have lifted the track and managed to save all the pointwork and 90% of the track, I hope to resurface the base boards ready for track laying tomorrow . I have also received a delivery of piano wire and silicone tube to fit for point operation, a first for me but I have not been really satisfied with peco/seep point motors.
Diane Tape

Offline Ditape

• Awards
« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2018, 11:55:20 am »

I have resurfaced 1/5 of the baseboard and this is a test lay of the new east end, evidence of my patchwork rebuild of the baseboard surface is obvious but should disappear under senics when applied.
Diane Tape

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2018, 12:00:23 pm »
Great progress Di!  :thumbsup:

But please double check running over those curved points  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: June 24, 2018, 01:16:32 pm »
As long as the lead in to these is 12" radius or more they should work ok. I put a trailing cross over on Trewoon and to test it, ran a Schools and a Brighton belle through it in all directions at high speed several times without any derailments. a tighter radius lead in will cause some locos to come to grief in the facing direction as I discovered on the relief line to Trewoon and had to relay the track leading up to the point.

Regards,

Alex

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: June 24, 2018, 03:35:00 pm »
Hattons website states the ST44/45 have a special short straight and curve to create a crossover between 2nd and 3rd radius curves so  reckon on past experience of those radii that most things will be OK on them. Not so sure about the plastic frogs with smaller locos, though.

Offline Ditape

• Awards
« Reply #284 on: June 24, 2018, 04:06:54 pm »
Hattons website states the ST44/45 have a special short straight and curve to create a crossover between 2nd and 3rd radius curves so  reckon on past experience of those radii that most things will be OK on them. Not so sure about the plastic frogs with smaller locos, though.

I don't run many small locos mainly shunters which will not operate normally on the main line and the station area will be code 55 and electro frog. :thumbsup:
Diane Tape

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here