!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cerney Keynes on the M&SWJR  (Read 3025 times)

Offline skel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27216
    • Awards
Re: Cerney Keynes on the M&SWJR
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 03:59:01 pm »
Thank you Pete for a very comprehensive overview of timber for baseboards, the link to SLEC is very useful as I have been looking for alternatives to the B&Q's of this world
Cheers Steve

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 09:07:05 am »
Electrickery, my bete noire.  I understand more about quantum physics than I do about the stuff that powers my toaster.

Hopefully it is not bad form to ask questions pertaining to my layout in this thread rather than the dedicated subforums (subfora?)  Anyway, here we are.

Below is an exact plan of Cerney Keynes as it currently exists.

Currently the only power to the layout is from the Kato feeder track section F62 marked in red.  There will only be one train running at a time in Cerney Keynes, but I want to be able to park Broome Manor in the area marked “Headshunt” whilst Portishead (the Terrier) shunts wagons into the siding marked “Gravel loading”.  Then Broome manor will reverse to pick them up and crawl forward whilst they are loaded from an elevator, before steaming away to deliver them Downline to Swindon and/or beyond.  Several times a day the 14xx (which I have named Greyhound as she’s so quick) will be spotted with her autocoach on her way back and forth between Cheltenham and Swindon.

Currently I can park a loco in the area marked “Goods siding” and the area marked “Gravel loading” and still have a loco travelling on the main circuit.  The area marked “Headshunt” is completely dead, and I can kind of understand why, because it gets no power whatever way I have the points switched.  I think.

As to how to fix this, I have absolutely no idea.  Looking on the interwebz I have been advised to add more power feeds any way and I have represented these with the yellow circles.  But if I have power to the yellow circle in the headshunt area surely anything in the headshunt will move when locos on the main circuit move.

Just writing this is making my head hurt!  I have scoured the interwebz and this forum looking for solutions, but unfortunately if I find anything that seems relevant it is invariably far too complicated for my aching brain to grasp!

I am even considering the DCC route which would severely delay the layout as funds are currently not available.

Any and all advice will be gratefully accepted.

Some random thoughts and questions:

-  Is is possible to retrofit an N gauge Terrier for DCC, or is it just too small?  As I mentioned, I am considering going the DCC route, but if it means leaving the Terrier behind it’s a no go, she’s my favourite!

-  Having enjoyed building the Metcalfe signal box, another couple of kits are on their way.  I have bought the single track tunnel entrance and the platform kit.

-  I have decided I want lights in buildings and street/platform lighting.  More electrickery woes to come!

Graham, able to update this thread purely because evil electricity is powering his PC.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:15:32 pm by BoxTunnel »
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 09:38:09 am »
Graham

This is what I would do...

Certainly another power feed in your main loop is a good thing; pretty much opposite your existing one as shown on your plan is great.  Doing this halves how far the electricity has to travel by means of rail and rail joiners (which can be inferior conductors compared to copper wire).

Stick another power feed in the gravel loading siding.  That will power the headshunt as well, when the points are set correctly.

I would put insulated 'unijoiners' in the centre of the crossover where the two points meet.

In order to retain the ability to stable a locomotive in the gravel siding when a train is running round the main loop, you can fit the power connection to the gravel siding with a switch.  A little on/off switch on one of the wires only will work well.  (You very kindly commented on the switches on my 'Table-Top Railway' thread.  This is what they do.)

If you happen to have (or can pick up cheaply second-hand) a spare set of Kato points (#4 or #6, any direction), you can use these as a switch, mounted below your baseboard.  That way, your power on/off to the gravel siding would be activated from a matching lever on your lever frame for operating the points and the finished job would be very neat.  I did this for a switched feed on my 'Sandrock' layout (which uses Kato track) six years ago to avoid having a single 'odd' switch, next to a lever frame of 24 levers, which I would have found irritating.  I finished up with a lever frame of 25 uniform levers which controls all the points and the switched power feed. 

Glad to discuss further and you'll probably get much better suggestions as well from other 'Unitrack' users.

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 11:03:10 am »
Many thanks John, although I admit I am still unsure how to proceed.  May I PM you (after the bank holiday) to discuss further?

Meanwhile, if this works, here is the first video of Cerney Keynes.  We see 14xx "Greyhound" with her autocoach, a short glimpse of A1X "Portishead" in the gravel loading area and in the middle of the layout, the currently stricken "Broome Manor"  :(

"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 12:26:30 pm »
John is quite right in that you need a feed in the gravel loading siding but it's not possible to just plonk one in and wire it up to your controller or anything operating on the loop will also result in something moving in the siding, so a simple switch would be needed to turn the siding on/off.
If your Kato points are the #4 versions you can toggle the underside of the point as to how you want power to be fed by the point i.e. isolating or not.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 02:01:10 pm »
Many thanks John, although I admit I am still unsure how to proceed.  May I PM you (after the bank holiday) to discuss further?

Graham

Yes, of course you can.  I'd be glad to take you through the process, one step at a time.  This will avoid cluttering up your thread with my ramblings.

But please remember someone else might post on here with a much better way of tackling it.

I'll have a look in my spare Kato parts box as there might be certain helpful parts that would appreciate a good home.

You have made a good choice with the ever-dependable Kato 'Unitrack' system and I'm certain that your layout will work really well.

Sorry that I can't help with a screw for your 'Manor'; now if it was a Union Mills locomotive ...  Hope you get her running again soon.

With all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 05:37:02 pm »
Little to report as the bank holiday weekend was spent enjoying sunshine and beer gardens!

However, after a night shift last night I did knuckle down to a little work on the layout.  As I currently have no idea as to how to power it (a PM will be coming soon John) I decided instead to build the platelayers’ hut that came with the Metcalfe signal box kit, purely because I wanted to try a bargain chimney pot kit purchased from evilbay.

So here is review number 2, ebay seller Model Railway Scenery chimney pots.

It’s a simple kit!  We have a sheet of paper with 56 differently weathered chimney pots on it, as pictured below:

The instructions are basic.  Cut them out, colour the back in black felt tip, roll ‘em up with a bit of glue and you’re done.  However, as the paper is pretty thin, any black felt tip on the reverse inevitably soaks through the paper and obscures a lot of the detail.

I made one, dropped it on the floor and lost it to the carpet monster.  I made another, completely messed up the rolling and threw it away in frustration.  My third attempt is below:

Yes, it is too fat, but that is me rather than the kit, and I probably should have waited until the PVA had dried before taking the piccy!

Conclusion.  For £1.79 plus 50p P&P I have quite a few chimney pots which, when I cure my cack-handedness, could be useful for years to come.  Yes, it is just a piece of paper with some pictures on it, but for a newby like me, every little helps!

Instructions:   4/10
Ease of Build:   6/10
Looks:      6/10
Value:      10/10

Overall:   8/10

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 06:42:59 pm »
I much prefer cast or 3D printed ones, may cost a little more but look far better, cast ones need painting but that allows you to introduce a bit of variety in the colour

3D prints from Peedie
http://www.peediemodels.com/products.php?cat=8&pg=2

Cast white metal from Scalelink
http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Scenic___Scale_1_152__N_.html

Somebody does plastic chimney stacks complete with chimney pots, Ive also made my own plastic ones from plastic tube.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 07:59:23 pm »
The pots look very much like the Metcalfe ones.  They take a little practise, but are pretty good, once the technique is mastered.  It's probably a good idea (in my experience) to leave the pots until last, to save them being knocked off and having to be replaced.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 10:14:14 pm »
Just a comment. Model Railway Scenery has a web page and has downloadable kits. The one you bought on ebay is there and costs GBP1 and once downloaded can be used over and over again. There are several makers of card kits on line which are well worth looking at. Scalescenes, Smart Models are two and Wordsworth is another but in 00 but can be scaled down to N.
Hope this helps.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Gary Burcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 26212
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 11:22:55 pm »
I bought and downloaded those chimney pots from Model Railway Scenery last week.  I used the ones included with their victorian ale house first and decided to get the file and use them on my Scalescenes country pub too.  I used 100 gsm HP premium paper and there was no bleed through of the black felt tip.  I then used a Pritt stick (other stick glues are available) and wrapped it round a cocktail stick and slid it off when dry.  In my humble opinion they look really good.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 05:08:56 am »
“People can’t wait to let you down” will be the title of my first solo album!

Long story short, a work colleague recently discovered that I play guitar and was initially up for a jam session, then open mic nights, then world domination a la U2 or whatever.  So I have been practising on the old six string over the past two weeks rather than making progress on the layout.

I had even arranged rehearsal space in one of the outbuildings at my local pub and the Landlord had spent his own time tidying up “the Barn” and ensuring that we had power and lighting.

Two hours before our seminal session I received a text saying “Feel ill, not coming”.

Grrrr!

So instead of forming the next “greatest band in the history of the world”, I put together a Metcalfe tunnel entrance (I’m pretty sure Bono has the same problem when The Edge doesn’t turn up for rehearsals).

This is before weathering.  I need to do it all of my builds but am a bit scared that I will mess them up so I have been putting it off!

I spent a good three hours building this kit, whilst listening to old school Gang of Four and the amazing new album by nineties shoegazing stalwarts Ride.  As with my previous Metcalfe kits it was another ingenious product, these things will take some serious weight I reckon.  In the kit you get enough to make two tunnel entrances.

Instructions:  10/10
Ease of build:   10/10
Looks:   10/10 (after I do some touching up)
Value:10/10

Overall:  10/10 really good kit with excellent results.

Regarding the layout, I think I may go DCC.  I'm off to the N Gauge show at the weekend and I intend to interrogate any DCC suppliers I can find...

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 07:07:01 am »
Sorry to hear that your mate let you down.
The world will be a poorer place without your debut album!
Anyway, glad to see progress with the Metcalfe kits.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 08:05:48 am »
Just for those interested in the MSWJR, there is a new book coming out in 3 days time.  'Impermanent Ways, MSWJ' 'Part 1' by Kevin Robertson from Crecy books I've had mine on order for some time  :)  .

There are not that many books on only the MSWJR,

The Trilogy from Wild Swan by Barnsley and Bartholomew, ( the best so Far I think)
The book by TB Sands,
The Book by Colin Maggs,
The Album by Barrett D & Bridgeman B & Bird D,
The Book of "The District Controllers view" "No 11 the MSWJR" by William Becket.

I think that's it..

There are numerous mentions in other books such as the "Lost railways of Wiltshire by Justin Bailey"  or "Return from Dunkirk - Railways to the Rescue  by Peter Tatlow" .

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 10:29:47 am »
The world will be a poorer place without your debut album!

You haven't heard me play! ;D

As for the layout:

As Ice Cube once said “Today I didn’t even have to use my AK, I got to say it was a good day.”

Now “today” for me started at 1600 yesterday when the alarm went off, and will end soon after I finish this post and go to bed.

I decided that there was another reason (apart from guitar practise) my layout has stalled slightly which was that I wasn’t happy with the track plan.  It was OK for a limited space, but to me it had too many straight lines and just didn’t look even vaguely like the real thing.  At various quiet points throughout the night I tried sketching some rough plans, but I wasn’t happy with anything I came up with.  It seemed to be a bit early in my N Gauge career to be “losing my mojo”.

On my way home from work I raided Asda for bacon, eggs, sausages, mushrooms and a bottle of red ready for some serious SCARMage.  (I have the next three days off in order to visit the N Gauge show so the vino was justified!)

I would allow myself to buy some curves or straights if I really had to, but the current budget does not stretch to points, so I would have to make do with the two left and one right turnouts I already own.  I spent a good couple of hours messing about but couldn’t come up with anything I liked.  Kato Unitrack has it’s advantages (more later), but one of the major disadvantages seems to be that due to the available track components it uses more space than Setrack if that makes sense?  However, I have about £150 quids worth, so I am sticking with it.

Then I semi stumbled on the plan below, which for now I’m pretty happy with.

I don’t know how realistic this is, but to me it looks more organic, as if the track was laid due to terrain rather than computer modelling.  Also, if I don’t decide on a track plan soon, nothing will ever get done.

And now for the major advantage of Unitrack - ten minutes later the layout was ready to run trains!

I may have to lose the gravel extraction element and concentrate on a village plus halt and mixed goods scenario, but I reckon I’ll stick with this, or else I’ll never make any progress!

In other news:

-  It seems helping me to build my baseboard has intrigued my Father and he will be accompanying me to the N Gauge show.  He has also been researching the Chippenham and Calne line with a view to building his own layout!

-  I am 90% certain that I will go the DCC route with the MERG system being number one choice, partly due to cost and partly because I’ve enjoyed building stuff so far so let’s up the ante!

As always comments, criticism and suggestions are most welcome.

Graham, Mr Mojo Risin' (sorry Jim, wherever you are).

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything