!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scottish plan steam to diesel - Now SW Scotland plan  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Scottish plan steam to diesel - Now SW Scotland plan
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2018, 09:09:41 pm »
A fair bit of the plan is single track. Is this bi-directional or do you plan to run in any particular direction?
Are the sets of loops top and bottom intended as fiddle yards and will they be open to view?
Lastly from me, what sort and size of train are you intending to run please?

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2018, 09:26:34 pm »
A fair bit of the plan is single track. Is this bi-directional or do you plan to run in any particular direction?
Are the sets of loops top and bottom intended as fiddle yards and will they be open to view?
Lastly from me, what sort and size of train are you intending to run please?

Ok both loops will be fiddle yards, as it is a stay at home layout they could be either hidden or not. Maybe have something removable.
The line itself was bidirectional. So plan is for trains from Kirkcudbright and Tarff to run thru castle Douglas and on to kirkgunzeon and top fiddle yard. Trains from kirkgunzeon will run to castle Douglas and then either on to tarff etc or to bottom fiddle yard
Train wise mostly diesel or emu, maybe 3 coaches on diesels and small emus. If I can run longer than an odd train might be longer.
Hope that helps.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2018, 09:35:51 pm »
@barneyadi
Like @Portpatrick I too am a fan of the Port Road (I too would heartily recommend the Swann 2017 book as it has 2mm drawings in it - brilliant!).
In my loft I have the section of Port Road including New Galloway and Gatehouse stations. Also a model of the big water of fleet viaduct. I'll se if I can dig out a picture I've posted before.
Before I settled on New Galloway and Gatehouse I began a model of Kirkcudbright. This is great because the station building is still standing in all its glory.
Given that youve got all that space, you should be careful not to fill it with too much track, as is often the temptation. The Port Road was not a busy railway and it was set in beautiful countryside. It would be great to model as much of the countryside as possible, so Tarff for instance is basically a station in the middle of fields with only one or two nearb houses if memory serves correctly. In this respect I would keep it very simple. If you are still planning on transistion era I would seriously think about just having one siding, no loop or any other sidings, and just a platform halt.
Id often thought of doing Castle Douglass as a possible exhibition layout given that it has a junction, but I came to a conclusion that its too big. Even in N. So how much space have you got there? My own New Galloway fits in to about 7 feet, just, and that is a very simple track plan. It should be deeper than the 14 inches or so I gave it. Having said that, I like to run trains which look prototypically long in N gauge so on my Port Road there is a sleeper train 'The Paddy' which is long and various other long trains with at least six coaches.
Hope some of this helps, and I shall be a keeping a close eye on how it develops.
Oh yes and one other thing: have you been to the area and done some surveying? Always worth a visit in my opinion.

Cheers Kirky

PS
Nearly forgot the viaduct:

Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2018, 02:47:25 pm »
Maybe I am trying to fit too much in, reducing number of stations to 2 might help with the look. Would give more space between boards as well. Think I will look the Tarff and Kirkcudbright road and see what can come up with.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2018, 03:55:35 pm »
So have come up with a possible plan. I could move Tarff to opposite Kirkcudbright and maybe have a helix to a fiddle yard. I think I can also extend Kirkcudbright as got some extra room. Any thoughts?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2018, 04:16:57 pm »
You look to have plenty of space so I'd recommend the 'less is more' route and have lots of scenery and not a great deal of railway. Here's a fine example of the Scottish scenery from another forum member....

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2018, 09:54:34 pm »
I completely agree with @newportnobby - less is more. It'll be much more satisfying, much more quickly.
And as mentioned elsewhere, the scenery really is beautiful in that part of the world. I would be pulling the Kircudbright end a little further away from the wall where you could model the river and at the end of the model you would have the road over river bridge as a scenic break - loveley. Alternatively, you could move the creamery from the other side of the river and have it on the station side and therfore have it rail served.
The section between Tarff and Kirkcudbright is crying out for the hydro electric power station to be modellled.

Yep, this is a much more doable project (I'm assuming you are doing this by yourself?) and will give you lots of fun. A further consideration would be to tghink about whether this has to be a stay at home layout because that plan lends itself to being an at home and exhibition layout.
cheers
Kirky

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2018, 10:04:01 pm »
Is that the power station at Tongland?

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2018, 07:39:05 am »
Is that the power station at Tongland?
It is indeed.
I always thought a hydro electric power station would be a nice feature and not one one often modelled.
Cheers
Kirky

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2018, 02:56:10 pm »
So have had a little play with the plan and come up with following.

I guess this is where the power station, river and bridge could be, but if not where could they be. It is all scenic upto the red line. There was a non rail served creamery at Tarff and just need to confirm where it was. From an electrics point of view, where the red dot is at the point would I need to do anything special wiring wise as the track does a circle?

Any views much appreciated.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2018, 03:04:50 pm »
From an electrics point of view, where the red dot is at the point would I need to do anything special wiring wise as the track does a circle?

Yes. You've created what is known as a 'reversing loop' so, at some point round that loop, you will have to change the polarity of the tracks. However, me talking electrics is no help to anyone :dunce:
You need someone conversant with electrickery.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2018, 04:53:16 pm »
Hi @barneyadi
Yep, that looks a really good plan.
The hydro powerstation and the bridge and river are exactly where I envisaged, except the river obviously serves the hydro electric power station and dam. That'll be a really interesting feature I reckon.
I like the reversing loop in the fiddle yard. Despite @newportnobby 's belief it is difficult elecrically, it isnt. There are loads of people on here who can help if you get stuck with that. Don't know if you are DCC or DC?
The longer run and the looped fiddle yard will make for a longer run and make it much more interesting.
I hope scenery is your thing, because youre gonna have a lot to do.

I would also expect to see some belted Galloway cows of course  :D

cheers
Kirky

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2018, 05:48:22 pm »
I will be using DCC, will post a query in the electrics section. There are a couple of bridges which I could model too.
Now got to work out how to best use my boards, as currently they are flat. Got lots of polystyrene but sure I could make the boards work for me in some way.

Offline Portpatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2018, 06:32:10 pm »
Looking like a really fun plan.  And not so ambitious it never gets to a state you can really enjoy it, as well as the building of it.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2018, 08:46:30 pm »
The engine shed and turntable are missing from my plan, but might put them in as could add to the interest and suppose would give me option to run any era trains.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here