!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 42820 times)

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1080 on: November 04, 2018, 08:02:09 pm »
I will I was allowed beer  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #1081 on: November 04, 2018, 08:30:32 pm »
Years ago I was told, "If you want to see how a real motorcycle is made, take a Rudge apart."
Ha ha :) I'll see your Rudge and raise you a Vincent Rapide, take em apart ? yes frequently, you had to - to keep them running, , , well they were British after all !

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1082 on: November 04, 2018, 09:38:44 pm »
And.....I feel that we need a review of the Fairburn Ale.
Is it from a local brewery?

Sounds like it might be easy to get tanked up on Fairburns :D :pint:

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1083 on: November 05, 2018, 07:40:18 am »
Sounds like it might be easy to get tanked up on Fairburns :D :pint:
2-6-4-8, what do we appreciate?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1084 on: November 05, 2018, 08:51:53 am »
And.....I feel that we need a review of the Fairburn Ale.
Is it from a local brewery?
We are very lucky here to have two very nice micro breweries only 4 miles away. Namely, Dynamite Valley and Treens.
And very nice ale they supply too.
I shall be partaking of a bottle of DV Splan (I know, strange name) a little later.
Possibly whilst I run a train or two.

Thank you, Martin

It's from Ulverston Brewery and only available at the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway.  At 4%, it's very drinkable.  When I'm down there I always get a bottle for my chum, Graham.  Unfortunately, I have a tendency to keep forgetting to give it to him - that's why there were two bottles in the photograph.  They were there to remind me not to forget them this time!  But, for our 'little world', the story is that they were a present from Lord Poppingham to Geordie Stephenson.  The 'DV Splan' sounds fascinating!

Years ago I was told, "If you want to see how a real motorcycle is made, take a Rudge apart."
Ha ha :) I'll see your Rudge and raise you a Vincent Rapide, take em apart ? yes frequently, you had to - to keep them running, , , well they were British after all !

Many thanks, Malcolm.  I can't beat the 'Rapide'; lucky you!  The Vincent out in the garage is just a 'Comet'.  Years ago, I had a couple of Velocettes as well.  Lovely machines.  My first 'ton' (on the 'clock') was on a Velocette Venom with a high-compression piston and over advanced-ignition timing.  Starting her was an adventure, but once she got going...

Toodle-oo.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1085 on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:33 pm »
A Short Journey

Hello Chums

I had to go on a short journey today so I ankled it down to Poppingham station to catch the train.  Whilst guard George 'Coldsteam' Monke unloaded a few parcels, I managed to take a quick photograph of the locomotive...

... 'D20' 4-4-0 No. 2024.  This train is normally a 'D11' 'Director' working, but as No. 5504 is receiving special attention this week, Bobbington shed turned out one of its 'D20s' for the diagram.  Driver Geoff Duke was certainly pleased with his charge and we made cracking progress.  There was a very nice LNER teak Buffet Car on the train which was ideal for coffee and a sticky bun.  What a way to travel!

Thank you for looking and all good wishes.

Tickety-tonk.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1086 on: November 06, 2018, 07:58:38 am »
Excellent picture, as ever, John.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1087 on: November 06, 2018, 07:13:44 pm »
Maybe a Bit Too Close to Prototype Fidelity

Hello Chums

Prototype fidelity at the Table-Top Railway takes second place to having fun in an idealised setting.  Therefore, the complete failure of a NBL 'Type 2', complete with smoke and a horrid electrical smell, came as a bit of a surprise.  Overcoming my customary advanced lethargy, I sent it off for repairs under guarantee, just like BR did all these years ago.  It didn't go to NBL, or even to Dapol, but to DCC Supplies in Worcestershire (one of my favourite counties).  It is back and running nicely.  The enclosed invoice lists two items: one 'Dapol WC warranty (W1C)' [I wonder what 'WC' stands for?] and four 'Dual Schottky diode (3 leg)'.  DCC supplies did not take too long to deal with the repair and I am grateful to them.

Due to the present weather conditions, diesel traction is banned from Poppingham, so the 'Type 2' is running on the Table-Top Railway MkII.  The Kato Unitrack is mounted on 1/4" filter foam using 'Copydex', so the running is smooth and quiet.  At present I just use this layout for testing and running-in, but I hope to do something more ambitious with it in due course.  The layout is only 30" x 24", so it is properly portable.

Although I am not much of an enthusiast for the BR era or diesel motive power, I thought that modern British 'N' gauge diesels might be smooth and reliable motive power, just like my Kato US-outline 'N' scale locomotives.  Of the four I have purchased, three have failed.  Two were returned to the supplier for exchange and the NBL, which ran for a few weeks before failing, went off for repair.  Three are Graham Farish and one is Dapol.  The one which has performed faultlessly is a Graham Farish 'Deltic', D9007 Pinza.  The replacement locomotives, an EE 'Type 4' and a BR 'Type 2', both run well.  They are all low mileage locomotives, of course, as glorious steam is the order of the day in the train set room.

By the way, the carriages are by Minitrix, with special thanks to @Newportnobby and @Chris in Prague .

Many thanks for looking.
With best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1088 on: November 06, 2018, 07:19:26 pm »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:  Glad the type 2 is now back in full running order
      regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1089 on: November 06, 2018, 08:41:04 pm »
:hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:  Glad the type 2 is now back in full running order
      regards Derek.

Thank you, John.

Seconded! I, too, find DCC Supplies very helpful. I'm very glad that 1100 H.P. D.6300 Class loco No. D6326 has returned from attention at Swindon Works and is, once again, working a portion from an express to a posh (with a BCK plus CK, there is plenty of 1st Class accommodation) seaside resort. When I find my two Minitrix BR WR Chocolate and Cream coaches, I'll be able to take a similar photo.

Your Graham Farish 'Deltic', D9007 Pinza, would look very good at the head of some BR Maroon Standard (later Mk1) coaches. (Minitrix would be fine, IMHO.)

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1090 on: November 08, 2018, 09:49:53 pm »
The Continuing Pressure of Retirement and Going Bananas...

Hello Chums

Have seen me travelling this week.  Central Edinburgh on Monday and London yesterday.  I extracted some benefit from Monday's trip by popping into the excellent Harburn Hobbies for some flock powder (the 'modern' version of dyed sawdust!).  I needed another short wheelbase LNER brake van to make full use of the short Down siding and, you know me, I can't resist a garish PO van that looks like a shrunken Hornby '0' gauge model from 1934 or thereabouts.  More purchases!

Here are the two new models formed into a short goods train.  Some flocking already done.  What do you think of the picture - setting the hobby back about eighty years?

May as well have the full vintage catalogue effect with 1930s-style economy colour printing:

Sorry: Poppingham 'Ginger Biscuit' Castle is even more bashed-up than normal.  My elbow continued the New Model Army's work.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Cheerie-Bye.

John

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1091 on: November 08, 2018, 09:55:51 pm »
My ipad is on evening light reducing mode and I still need my sunglasses!  The Fyffes van is almost blending into the background 8)

Great stuff. Love the trees.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1092 on: November 10, 2018, 04:55:38 pm »
If You go Down to the Woods Today...

Hello Chums

I was down in Poppingham Wood today and heard an Up train slowly chuffing along.  I pointed my camera through the trees:

The locomotive was something of a rarity; a 'Q2' 0-8-0, No. 3454.

By coincidence, Bonzo Poppingham photographed the same working a few moments earlier, passing Poppingham Castle.  Bonzo was fortunate enough to have colour film:

Flocking work continues!  I have the tunnel and overbridge off the layout getting the treatment.  Another advantage of removable scenic features.

The 'Q2' is a distinctive locomotive with its unmistakeable Ivatt the Elder appearance.  It's a shame that the class was extinct by 1935 (the unsuperheated 'Q1' class were withdrawn first).  Mr Gresley rebuilt one as a 'Q3' which lasted a little longer.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Tickety-tonk.

John

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1093 on: November 11, 2018, 01:57:09 pm »
The Table-Top Railway's Remembrance locomotive, 'D11/1' 4-4-0 No. 5504 Jutland, worked a special train along the line today for those attending Services of Remembrance.  Here is the Down train arriving at Poppingham station.  The train crew were all unpaid volunteers, whose names had been drawn out of three hats by Lord Poppingham, who is a Director of the Company.  Inspector Japp travelled on the train, having given his place on the footplate to chargehand fitter George Stephenson who had ensured that Jutland was in magnificent mechanical condition.  The locomotive had been specially cleaned by off-duty enginemen and Bobbington shed staff over the past week.

By order of the Directors of the Company, travel on the train was free of charge, as were the refreshments in the buffet car.  It was reported that the Royal British Legion collecting tins on the train were soon full and had to be supplemented by a couple of buckets from the locomotive.

Special thanks to @Railwaygun for letting us know, a few weeks ago, about the headboards from Fox Transfers.

Thank you for looking.

Best wishes.

John

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1094 on: November 12, 2018, 09:05:10 pm »
Another very fine picture and text, John. I did not know about the Poppy (doubly appropriate) the headboards from Fox Transfers, in time, otherwise "Hurricane", "Spitfire" and "Fighter Command" would all have carried them.

However, just like at Poppingham, a special train was run from Truro to Penmayne and return, via Newquay, Port Perran, Trepol Bay, Wadebridge, and Cant Cove. Whilst travel was free for veterans, BR SR and WR donated ticket sales, from other passengers, to the Royal British Legion whilst the Castle Brewery, Headland Brewery, Sam's Cider, the North Cornwall Pasty Co. and the restaurants of the "Station Hotel", Trepol Bay, and "The Station Hotel", Cant Cove provided free refreshments in the BR SR and BR WR buffet cars formed in the train. The "Chelsea Girls", wearing large red poppies, regularly passed through the train with Royal British Legion collecting tins every one of which was filled. The locomotive crew, guard, and buffet car staff all gave their time for free. The 1st Class coaches were all full with full fare paying local dignitaries.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:19:50 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here