!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 42975 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2017, 05:36:27 pm »
Great stuff.
That T9 looks mighty familiar to me.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2017, 10:07:53 pm »
Testing Times.

The Table-Top railway was intended as an easy introduction to British 'N' gauge for me and to give me a small and very portable layout to take wherever I wanted: out to the garden, to the office etc!

There has been 'running testing' and 'carrying about testing' taking place over the last month.

Running: Good, but not, I think, as good as the Kato 'Unitrack' on my US 'N' scale layout.  This will be entirely a consequence of my ham-fisted track laying and not in any way because of the Peco 'Setrack' and 'Streamline' points which are excellent products.

It is also noisy.  The neoprene track base is no better than 'Sundeala' in this regard.  This is a personal thing; I understand many modellers like a bit of running noise.

Without a doubt the major positive result has been the performance of the 'Union Mills' locomotives.  Absolutely first class.

Portability: It is only three-foot-three, by two foot, but it can be awkward to manoeuvre through doorways and into the car.  It is also heavier than I should like but this is probably just me getting older.  However, I won't get younger!

Mrs Train Waiting and I are heading south-west for a couple of days' holiday, which will give me an opportunity to review options whilst we travel on the Ravenglass & Eskdale and suchlike.

Thank you for looking and all best wishes.

John

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:30:05 am by Train Waiting, Reason: Spelling! »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2017, 08:28:08 pm »

Mrs Train Waiting and I had a splendid trip in the sunshine to Dalegarth with 'Northern Rock'.  'River Irt', 'River Mite' and 'Lady Wakefield' were also out on the line.  The new museum is excellent and the catering was to its usual good standard.  This is a railway that we always enjoy visiting.  And, importantly, it always appears glad to see us.

The hoped-for inspiration for a revised Table-Top railway arrived during the trip - make it smaller and simpler.

And it will still be British 'N' gauge, although 0n9 (is that the correct term?) is certainly tempting!

Thank you very much for reading and I hope you enjoy the picture.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2017, 02:10:22 pm »
Smaller and Simpler.  And Pointless!

Since my Ravenglass and Eskdale inspiration I have had a bit of a think.

The Mk I Table-Top railway at 3'3" by 2' was too big to easily carry through doors or load into the car.  Funnily enough, a plain sheet of MDF that size was easy to manoeuvre, but once the various bits and pieces were added, the weight and, probably more importantly, general awkwardness increased to the point where it was no longer comfortable.

No matter what, this layout will have trains going round, in circles if need be, so the width cannot realistically be less than two feet.  I have a spare sheet of ply 2'6" by 2', so it makes sense to try to use it.  I also have a piece of 'filter foam' which covers the ply.  Hopefully, this will provide better sound insulation than the 'Sundeala' or neoprene which I tried on Mk I.  The 'filter foam' is much softer than the neoprene and I don't think the Peco 'Setrack' will sit happily on it.  I'll use the more robust Kato 'Unitrack' instead, as I have plenty left over from 'Sandrock'. 

In order to avoid very tight curves, I'll make Mk II single track.  A single track, oval-ish, pointless layout of 30"x24".  I think it would be difficult to be smaller and simpler.

Mk I was intended to be the type of model railway I wanted when I was ten or so.  Mk II is more like what I had!  With one difference; Mk II will be based on an actual prototype station.

Here's where I have got to with Mk II:-

The track above the bilious green foot rule will be hidden and the visible area will be 30"x18.5", conforming to the 'Golden Ratio', more or less.

Now to run some trains, to check if the 'Unitrack' and 'filter foam' is a happy combination, and to carry Mk II around the house* and put it into the car a few times.

Thank you very much for looking.

All best wishes.

John

*The 'up and down the stairs' test will be interesting...

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2017, 02:57:55 pm »
Hi John
Just as an illustration of how a small layout can look good, here is a 2ft aquare layout that Mrs PP built a couple of years back :

Seen here at Hayle show.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2017, 04:48:09 pm »
I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself by referring to the layout as being pointless, John :-X

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2017, 07:22:26 pm »
 :laughabovepost:
 :thankyousign:

John

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2017, 07:25:45 pm »
Hi John
Just as an illustration of how a small layout can look good, here is a 2ft aquare layout that Mrs PP built a couple of years back :

Seen here at Hayle show.

Martin,

That's a very fine layout from Mrs PP..  It was very clever to make the track run round a farm.

All best wishes.

John

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2017, 08:44:17 pm »
Based on a Vectis Prototype!

I have to admit that the single track, one (curved) platform, pointless station that I have planned for the Table-Top railway Mk II appears to have little relation to reality.

But, in the spirit of a 'Prototype for Everything', what about this:-

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/251570237785-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

It's Mill Hill, just south of Cowes on the former IoWCR.

And look at the tunnel mouth at the platform end; it was so close to the platform that there wasn't a ramp.

There is a good selection of photographs on the internet if one searches for 'Mill Hill station Cowes'.

That's the new plan, then.

Now it's back to testing...

Many thanks for looking.

All the very best.

John

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2017, 09:09:56 pm »
Looking forward to your efforts.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2017, 10:42:43 pm »
I'm sure you appreciate with small radius curves within the board space you have, curved platforms will cause a large gap twixt coach and platform. If the platform is behind the train as in the photo of Mill Hill i.e. inside the oval then, of course, only the operator will see this aspect if the layout is operated from the rear.
I have to say curved platforms always have more appeal to me than straight ones.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2017, 08:17:26 am »
I'm sure you appreciate with small radius curves within the board space you have, curved platforms will cause a large gap twixt coach and platform. If the platform is behind the train as in the photo of Mill Hill i.e. inside the oval then, of course, only the operator will see this aspect if the layout is operated from the rear.
I have to say curved platforms always have more appeal to me than straight ones.

Exactly what I had in mind, NPN; many thanks for your helpful comments.

As you say, the 'Mind the Gap' will not be seen by a viewer when a train is in the station.  What will be seen is relative 'brass threepenny bit' position of coach ends which might be particularly intrusive with corridor stock.

I have attempted to minimise this by having 'Unitrack' 348mm radius curves in the main part of the platform.  I know that this appears unlikely for a two-foot wide layout, but I cheated and the curve sharpens to 282mm and then, at the rear, to 249mm.  I won't claim that this is a proper railway transition curve; it's more like the kind of thing that road engineers sometimes put in place to allow motorcyclists to enjoy themselves!

I have to head out now, but this evening I'll post a list of the 'Unitrack' pieces that I used to obtain this effect.  Possibly some kind member of the Forum with a computer design programme will draw it, so that my abuse of the excellent 'Unitrack' geometry can be seen...

Thanks again and all the very best.

John

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2017, 09:06:35 pm »
A Potential Abuse of Geometry

Back home at last after a day of tedious financial reports and I'm watching the splendid new Union Mills 'Collett Goods' with a Dapol 'B Set' running round the oval-ish 'Unitrack' layout.  Importantly, I have a glass of Australian dry white wine to help me appreciate the train.

Here are the track pieces used to create the very peculiar shape which I have described as 'oval-ish' (any terminological assistance from a geometry enthusiast will be greatly appreciated).

Going clockwise from 12 o'clock:-

20-091 29mm straight [Not now used, please see subsequent posts.]
20-020 124mm straight
20-100 249mm radius 45 degree curve
20-100 249mm radius 45 degree curve
20-111 282mm radius 15 degree curve
20-110 282mm radius 45 degree curve
20-130 348mm radius 30 degree curve
20-130
20-110
20-111
20-100
20-100 and we're back at 12 o'clock.

Hopefully, this will show how mixing the radii of 'Unitrack' allows for an easier curve for the platform than could otherwise be expected on a two foot wide baseboard.  Any computerised drawings offered by Forum members will be most welcome.  I wonder how much I have abused Kato's geometry?  The track all clipped together easily with no obvious gaps.

The train is still running nicely and I'm on another glass of wine.

Chin-chin!

John
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:10:09 am by Train Waiting, Reason: Update based on helpful further information »

Online AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2017, 12:02:55 am »
Fired up Scarm 1.0 and followed your receipe... I got a missing piece of 0.83"...
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2017, 12:46:02 am »
(any terminological assistance

The train is still running nicely and I'm on another glass of wine.
Chin-chin!
Semi-oblate circle ?

I am abusing a glass of Scotch Mist and the track plan looks good :)
Using an earlier SCARM than Alexander and I have an overlap of about 21mm if I put in  the 29mm section, or without it a gap of just 7.9mm which is maybe not a biggie and would pull up ?
Or it could be too much amber nectar and I have messed up !

I'm late on parade but now following with interest  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:49:13 am by MalcolmAL »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything