!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 36169 times)

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #885 on: August 30, 2018, 08:19:42 pm »
A great bit of fun, makes me want to get the TT out of the cabinet (bought these while on Honeymoon in '86!)

The N gauge stuff above is Minitrix push-along (apart from the Lone Star signal box)

There's a Dublo Silver King further up the shelves out of shot.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:22:05 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #886 on: August 30, 2018, 09:19:01 pm »
If you want (as has been suggested) to mix scales on the tabletop railway, John, I found some 00 Gauge coal sack stacks and plain sack piles. If not they will go to a friend who has a 00 Gauge layout.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #887 on: September 02, 2018, 02:26:53 pm »
Still on the subject of trainset tunnels, I found several excellent HO Czech marketed ones. Here's one:

https://www.itvlaky.cz/2-kolejne-tunely/h0-tunel--2-kolejny--zahnuty-noch-05180/

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #888 on: September 08, 2018, 09:22:47 pm »
Many thanks, Chris.  And apologies for my unintentional rudeness in responding so late to your kind offer.  I was away.  I think I'll probably restrict any 'overscale' features to road vehicles as Martin suggested.  I'm sure that you '00'-modelling friend will find these items to be very useful.

With regard to the illustration of the tunnel - what super fun; it's absolutely fabulous and made me laugh!

Thanks again and all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #889 on: September 09, 2018, 11:33:40 am »
Thank you, John. I also love that highly imaginative tunnel (and the same Website has others, too).

The 00 accessories will indeed be on their way to my friend's 00 Gauge layout.

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #890 on: September 09, 2018, 05:11:24 pm »
Hi John, how about a tunnel in this style?

https://tischbahn.de/blechkunstwerk-die-tunnellandschaft-in-spur-00/

@Bealman - Is the James Bond Aston Martin yours? :heart2:   Do you collect old toy cars?

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #891 on: September 09, 2018, 08:39:59 pm »

@Bealman - Is the James Bond Aston Martin yours? :heart2:   Do you collect old toy cars?

Hello Hiawatha, and thank you so much for the link to these superb pictures.  That's pretty much what George @Bealman was suggesting, albeit with a castle rather than a house on top of the tunnel in this case.  Clearly the 'out of proportion' tunnel is even more of a model railway icon than I had realised.  We might have a bit of fun with this ...

Thanks again and all best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #892 on: September 09, 2018, 10:33:27 pm »
Hello Chums

Whilst 'Tea Cosy Tunnel' (officially 'Improbable Tunnel' and, sometimes, 'Poppingham Tunnel') has been attracting interest and some wonderful ideas (thank you very much for these), there has been a little bit of progress with the Table-Top Railway.  Not much, I accept, due to us being away last week (not Poppy; she stayed here and was very well looked after), but some...

There was a consensus that the excellent Metcalfe kit for an incline to the overbridge was too model railway-like and that it might be better if I built something less realistic myself.  This is the first step - effectively a ramp that takes the road from the overbridge to what will, I hope, be a little square in front of Poppingham station.  It is about a 1:7 1/2 gradient.  A tad steeper might be less realistic, but not too steep or the road vehicles will end up in a heap at the bottom. I'll play with this for a day or two.

I have absolutely no idea why an Edinburgh Corporation No. 6 'City Tour' motor omnibus is climbing up the hill in what is, today, Great Western country, but that's the way of this layout.

One thing, though, it is a 'plug and play' layout.  After over a week's inactivity, I plugged in the old Gaugemaster 'Model D', twirled the knobs and two trains ran beautifully.  That says a lot for the excellence of Gaugemaster DC control equipment, Peco track and track power feed fishplates, and Union Mills locomotives.

Thank you for looking, best wishes and...

Toodle-oo.

John
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:28:30 am by Train Waiting, Reason: Missing word inserted! »

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #893 on: September 09, 2018, 10:38:35 pm »

Yes, it is mine, but I don't collect model cars, not any more anyway - unless they're N gauge ones to go on the layout.

I was given that Bond car for Christmas as a kid, but I've kept it all these years.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #894 on: September 10, 2018, 03:21:57 pm »
Coming on nicely :thumbsup:
I think the approach to the bridge is not steep enough! For a model railway it's OK but a train set it needs to be steeper. Where the first block is is about where the road should "hit" ground level IMHO. If it's too steep for vehicles a little blutac would hold them in place.
My dos centimos, ˇsalud!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #895 on: September 10, 2018, 04:33:44 pm »
Looks good to me. I think the slope is probably ok but I see where Mito is coming from.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #896 on: September 10, 2018, 09:56:28 pm »
Persuasion

I like something to read on holiday and this year took a favourite book, Persuasion, by Jane Austen.  The story takes place in Somersetshire and Dorsetshire.  What could be better than Lord Poppingham arranging a special excursion to Bath, Uppercross, Kellynch and Lyme to visit the principal locations?  He also arranged that the S&DJR provided the motive power, apart from the Lyme Regis branch.  The LMS Railway provided the rolling stock for the main train.  Persuasion was published in 1818; the special excursion took place about 115-ish years later.

[Lord Poppingham's special train departs Poppingham station on the Up line hauled by a S&DJR 4-4-0 No. 40.]

And, thank you, Brian and Martin, for your kind observations on the slope of the road leading to the overbridge.

Thank you for looking.

Best wishes.

Pip-pip.

John

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #897 on: September 14, 2018, 03:06:33 pm »
October 2018 Railway Modeller

Hello Chums

I purchased this magazine at KX yesterday to read on the train back down to Edinburgh.  There is a very nice British 'N' Gauge layout, Lymebrook Yard, which is set in the late 1970s.  Not my favourite era (I remember it too well!), but that doesn't matter as there is much to learn from the layout.  It is 4' x 2', rather than my favoured 4' x 2' 6" and, unfortunately, the track plan does not show the hidden fiddle yard arrangement.  In my view, the article is well worth a look and evidence, to me at least, of the great potential of four-ish by two-ish 'table-top' layouts in 'N' gauge.

It was a long journey yesterday as the train was a bit of a 'stopper', so I had a detailed read of the magazine.  On page 877, under the title of 'New Factory for Bachmann Europe plc' there is some interesting information.  For Bachmann Europe plc, Bachmann '00' Gauge accounts for 50% of turnover.  Graham Farish is 20%.  Now that's interesting as it suggests that, for Bachmann, the British 'N' gauge market is 40% of that for '00'.  I think that is a strong figure for our scale.  Overall expenditure will, I think, be less than that ratio as Hornby's '00' sales will be a very significant factor.  Still, good news for us, I think.

Finally, there is an interesting letter from E Court (p. 867) about, 'The seven ages of modelling?'  I found a lot to agree with in this letter and placed myself as a 'five about to become a six', having pretty much given up on large layouts and now starting out in a new scale, British 'N' Gauge.

A good issue and I'm glad that Peco has returned to the three colour rotation for the covers.

With best wishes.

Pip-pip.

John   

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #898 on: September 16, 2018, 02:42:00 pm »
Dead Frogs...

Hello Chums

As I understand it, live frogs are generally accepted as better than dead frogs for two-rail electric model railways.  Hornby certainly thought so when 'Dublo' went two-rail and the assumed wiring complexities resulting from this decision were believed to have cost the company market share to the dead frog Tri-ang system.

Looking back, I have used live frogs for more than thirty years.  Until now.

When I was thinking about the Table-Top Railway, I conducted a few simple tests with Union Mills locomotives and Peco points, both live frog and dead frog.  Both were fine and I used the live frog variety, combined with Peco 'Setrack', on Mark I.  Much was learnt from the many disasters that occurred with this layout, and Mark II (too small) and Mark III (too big) used Kato 'Unitrack'.

For Mark IV (just about the right size, I think!), I reverted to Peco 'Setrack'.  To make the best use of the space (4' x 2'6"), I used 'Setrack' dead frog points.  These have worked well and the Union Mills locomotives and Graham Farish GWR diesel railcars all run nicely.

A combination of circumstances meant that I had not been able to play trains for a fortnight, so last evening I got the four corks into action and had a jolly spiffing track cleaning session.  This is a big advantage of a four-ish by two-ish layout; track cleaning is not a daunting prospect.  It takes me about fifteen minutes.

Looking at the clean track, devoid of trains, this morning I had a thought about the dead frog points.  They have proven to be perfectly fine with Union Mills locomotives, which are all tender engines with power pick-up on the 'American system' (the locomotive picks up from one rail and the tender from the other - simple and effective), but what would they be like with a little tank engine?

Fortunately, I have a Dapol '48xx' 0-4-2T, which I bought for my abortive British 'N' gauge effort of about 10 years ago.  It has been sitting about the train set room as a ornament for a while (it appeared in some of the photographs illustrating the tale of the failed diesels), so I gave it a quick clean and prepared it for a turn of duty. 

From the third 'Down Siding' (called the 'Rail Motor Siding' when I'm having a GWR day) to the Down Main Line involves passing over three dead frog points in quick succession.  This, I thought, would be a good test.

This little wobbly film shows the result: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xm7l3x8xkomzjr6/Auto%20Train.MOV?dl=0

The '48xx' has the acceleration characteristics of a 1972 Kawasaki two-stroke 750cc triple ( @Newportnobby will understand this!) and it was a tad tricky to film a start at a realistic speed.  I just about managed it, but the wobbling was unavoidable.  I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions from the film.

Many thanks for looking.

Toodle pip.

John

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #899 on: September 16, 2018, 02:55:36 pm »
The '48xx' has the acceleration characteristics of a 1972 Kawasaki two-stroke 750cc triple

I hope it doesn't burn out the piston on the middle cylinder!  :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:56:47 pm by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP