!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 42829 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: A Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #675 on: July 10, 2018, 07:35:14 pm »
Progress at Last

The train set room is now partly clear of domestic detritus and I celebrated by running trains for a couple of minutes.  Then I lifted the Down line through the station, the bay platform and what was left of the branch line.  The down platform was also demolished.  Perhaps a peculiar sort of progress...

[Single line working is in operation on the Up line and the driver of a through freight to the LNER waits whilst the signalman and pilotman get organised.  '2F' 0-6-0 No. 22958 muses to herself that, "It wasn't like this back in the old Midland days."]

I have decided to apply restraint to the Table-Top Railway.  The bay platform and branch line looked fussy to my eyes and I noticed that trains seldom ran on either.  The correct course of action became too obvious to ignore.  Please excuse me whilst I extract the P Way gang from the 'Red Lion' as there will be trains wanting to use the Down line tomorrow.

Thank you for looking.

Best wishes and toodle-oo.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #676 on: July 10, 2018, 08:20:28 pm »
I noticed that trains seldom ran on either.  The correct course of action became too obvious to ignore.

Sounds like a certain Doctor from the 60s !!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #677 on: July 10, 2018, 09:44:17 pm »
Please excuse me whilst I extract the P

Completely out of character for you :o ;)

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #678 on: July 11, 2018, 09:03:41 am »
A Successful Night Shift

The P way gang's libations at the Red Lion last evening certainly paid dividends with regard to productivity.  I assume that Poppy, who was appointed PICOP (CICOP?!), was her normal efficient self and ensured the work was completed early to give her more sleeping time.  She was certainly fast asleep when I awoke this morning.

['D11/2' 4-4-0 No. 6397 The Lady of the Lake (has any locomotive ever had a prettier name?) eases the first train of the day over the relaid Down line.  A 10 mph TSR is in place until the ballasting is complete.]

I had better start thinking about a down platform as the little people are somewhat inconvenienced at present.  I am following Laurence's description of scratchbuilding a platform at Marton Hinmarche with interest.  I have not been completely happy with the Metcalfe platform surface and fancy trying something different.

Please excuse me whilst I extract the P

Completely out of character for you :o ;)

Agreed, Mick - unheard of.  :laughabovepost:

Many thanks for looking.

Best wishes.

Pip-pip.

John

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:08:48 am by Train Waiting, Reason: Spelling correction to Hinmarche. »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #679 on: July 11, 2018, 09:48:10 am »
Can I suggest plasticard for the platform surface.
There are plenty of surface options available.
Although I have used the Metcalfe ones on Tregonning (the first time I have ever used them) it does look, to my eye, too neat, tidy and uniform.
Each to there own though.
I wish you luck with the build.
I hate to think of your little folk using step ladders to access the carriages.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #680 on: July 11, 2018, 04:49:43 pm »

Best Wishes, England

From the Table-Top Railway, Midlothian.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #681 on: July 11, 2018, 05:18:36 pm »
Thatís brilliant John.
I shall be settling down at about 6-30 with all services on the North Cornwall lines suspended in order that employees can enjoy the match.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #682 on: July 12, 2018, 09:27:38 pm »
Busy Bricklaying

The edge of the new down platform is now in place.  It is the Metcalfe brick platform edging mounted on a balsa section salvaged from the previous platform.  I think that I'll continue the raised platform level out for a bit as that is how road-facing platforms tend to be in real life.  The platform and pavement levels are often the same, with a step down to the road.

The train nearest the camera is hauled by an LMS '2P' 4-4-0 No. 672.  These locomotives were called 'The Wee Black Yins' when they came to Train Waiting's native ex-G&SWR lines in 1928. 

An aerial view of most of the Table-Top Railway in its present, simpler, form.  Lots more work to be done...

Many thanks for looking.

Best wishes.

Tickety-tonk.

John

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #683 on: July 12, 2018, 09:42:57 pm »
Looking good. I see you managed to finish the glass of wine between taking the two photos :) :beers:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #684 on: July 13, 2018, 07:05:21 pm »
The Down Platform

The removal of the branch line and its bay platform gave me an opportunity to have a second attempt at the down platform.  I was never completely happy with the job I made of assembling the excellent Metcalfe components.  This time, the platform edging is 3/8" balsa square section with the Metcalfe brick edging glued on.  Behind that is a packing of 3/8 balsa and, on top, 1/16 balsa.  The advantage of my selectively very compressed platform is that there are no joins on the platform surface.  It think it was the joins on the Metcalfe card surface that made me uneasy.

Hopefully, the photographs give the general idea.  The surface is being painted with mid-grey acryllic and sanded with ever-so-fine 'sanding film' from Testors that I bought many years ago.  It's on its third coat of paint at present.

The 'Dukedog' 4-4-0 No. 3204 is on platform edge clearance duties.  The outside frames (double frames to be precise) and whirling cranks for the coupling rods are a fine test of the civil engineer's clearance calculations.  I am glad to report that Driver Geoff Duke and his polished 'Dukedog' didn't bash the platform edge.

The platform will take a locomotive and four bogie carriages, which is the maximum capacity of the storage loops as well.  Tickety-boo!

I'll see how I get on with this and then have a think about the up platform.

Finally, a note of thanks to Martin and Laurence for their helpful contributions.  And, Brian, I hid the beer glass from the camera this evening!

Many thanks for looking and all good wishes.

Cheerio.

John

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #685 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:14 pm »
I like the finish of the surface and the way you've built the base.  :thumbsup: Pity about the beer glass though. Normally they're very photogenic. :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #686 on: July 13, 2018, 09:14:26 pm »
Is that a genuine shedplate in the corner John.
52A - not good on the NE area but is that Gateshead?
Oh, and of course the platform looks fine.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #687 on: July 13, 2018, 10:20:17 pm »
Many thanks for your encouragement, Brian and Martin.

I'll need to think about the platform coping stones.  I have some of the Metcalfe adhesive ones left which might do the trick.  Otherwise, it's masking and painting!

Yes, Martin, it's a real one and it's Gateshead.  Many years ago (about 1969), it was given to my late father by a kind railwayman at Dalry station (Ayrshire).  It had fallen off a passing locomotive (a new take on fallen off a lorry!) and had been gathering dust in the porters' room.  The railwayman knew that my father had a little boy who liked trains and who lived at the end of a closed branch line!*  It has been on or around all of my model railways since (as have a pair of MR wagon plates given to me by a lovely old gentleman who used the wagon as a garage).  They are all very handy as weights too!  I have some other plates as well, but these do not have any sentimental value and are rarely on display.

*There is a rail chair from that closed branch line in the garden.  'G&SWR 1903'.  I brought it home (about a couple of miles) in my grandfather's wheelbarrow.  I would have been about 11 at the time.  There are also a couple of (new) brake blocks from an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST in the garden, given to me by her driver!

But that's enough of my boring reminiscences.

Thanks again.

John

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #688 on: July 14, 2018, 07:40:51 am »
I like the look of the re-modelled platform  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #689 on: July 14, 2018, 09:39:06 am »
Many thanks for the interesting reminiscences and the updates, John. Whilst I like bay platforms and branches, being accustomed to them, the new platform does look very fine and should be very good for photographing trains at.

You could always leave the bay platform in situ representing a closed line. (As you know, some were closed pre-WW2.)

The 'Dukedog' is very fine and both Martin and you may be interested to know that although they were not cleared to run to Wadebridge, the "2301" Dean Goods locos. (which I think you both have from Union Mills?) were. (Not that I'm aware any did or were shedded locally. However, I may be tempted to buy one, in future.)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything