!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 42668 times)

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1035 on: October 17, 2018, 08:46:36 pm »
its turning into a layout every school kid dreamt of owning, I would and still would love to have a layout like this  ::)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1036 on: October 17, 2018, 08:58:49 pm »
I just knew that something was missing from that first photograph but couldn’t  quite put my finger on what.  :doh:

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1037 on: October 17, 2018, 09:29:20 pm »
A much improved second photo. Absolutely train setish!
For the road surface a good matt black but if that is too much, lamp black. I use it a lot. It gives the appearance of slightly faded black. It's an artists acrylic and has a very good covering quality. Remember to paint a thick white line down the centre of the road.

Many thanks, Brian.  That's helpful.  Yes a single white line would fix the period as post-1928 or so.

its turning into a layout every school kid dreamt of owning, I would and still would love to have a layout like this  ::)

Thank you very much for that lovely compliment, Paul.  Seeing the quality of your work in your posts on the forum, your kindness is much appreciated.

I fully accept that it is an unusual (to say the least!) idea to try to make a model in British 'N' gauge of the sort of 8'x5' (in '00') or 14'x9' (in '0') layout that a schoolboy would try to build after reading articles by the likes of Norman Eagles or Jack Ray in his model railway magazine.  After all, about the first piece of advice we are given is not to make a model of a model.  But, it's proving to be great fun to build and so very relaxing to operate (sorry, play with).  Half an hour with a cup of tea and a sticky bun, or a glass of beer, and the trains circulating happily is a great pleasure.  The layout holds five trains, so there is sufficient variety for these short operating sessions.  Running, thanks to Peco, Gaugemaster and Union Mills, is reliable.

I just knew that something was missing from that first photograph but couldn’t  quite put my finger on what.  :doh:

Thank you, Martin.  Yes a, layout photograph without a train is lacking a certain something...  (And a steam train for me, please.)  The 'Super Claud' is a gorgeous engine and a super runner.

Thanks again, chums, for your wonderfully encouraging posts.  These are very much appreciated.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1038 on: October 18, 2018, 08:07:50 am »
Lovely to see proper mixed trains running!

Overbridge looks good. Be careful when you paint the white line on the road that you don’t make it too realistic thin.  :D

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1039 on: October 18, 2018, 08:22:41 am »
Sorry if I may have missed something earlier... is that balsa over the bridge? I like the Peco bridges because they make it easy to curve the road surface. However, I used card, and over 30 odd years it has suffered from local wildlife!

Love the guards van two wagons behind the end of the train, BTW!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1040 on: October 18, 2018, 08:37:29 am »
Lovely to see proper mixed trains running!

Overbridge looks good. Be careful when you paint the white line on the road that you don’t make it too realistic thin.  :D
And perhaps a little wobbly (not too straight).

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1041 on: October 18, 2018, 06:23:20 pm »
The road bridge is coming along nicely, John. I like all the suggestions to keep it looking suitably 'trainset' like.

Bob Tidbury has reported that from he has received, from the Isle of Man, his "CITY OF TRURO" and that Colin has done a superb job: it already has copper chimney, brass safety dome and very nice name and number plates, and from the first look it has got narrower outside con rods but he will check it later when it has her first run. Have you received yours (and mine)? It looks like I won't have to budget for metal nameplates but I might still for number and shedplates as BR 3440 (82C, 9/58-5/61) rather than GWR 3717 if Union Mills is only producing the GWR version.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:27:05 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1042 on: October 18, 2018, 06:50:01 pm »
Sorry if I may have missed something earlier... is that balsa over the bridge? I like the Peco bridges because they make it easy to curve the road surface. However, I used card, and over 30 odd years it has suffered from local wildlife!

Love the guards van two wagons behind the end of the train, BTW!  :thumbsup:

Many thanks, George,

Yes, it is 1/16" balsa.  I had it roughly in place for a few weeks to get it used to the idea of being curved.  I also cheated and scored the underside of the road surface.  The application of an array of weights was important for both the construction of the bridge and to give Forum friends an opportunity for puns, various.

Glad you liked the train from Truro to Edinburgh.  It's always nice to indulge in a bit of 'through running'.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1043 on: October 18, 2018, 07:18:32 pm »
An Operating Session (or playing with trains)

Hello Chums

Thank you very much indeed for all the kind comments about our bridge-building exploits.  I had to give old Mr Fingers and Thumbs a lot of guidance and instruction about this project, but he kind of managed it in the end.  This was important as I wanted to have an operating session.  I do so enjoy running trains when the opportunity presents itself in my hectic schedule.

He's not much good as a photographer, but he just about managed a snapshot of me taking charge of the layout.  All the trains ran purrfectly; these locomotives from the Isle of Man are marvellous.  Although I have heard strange things about my relatives from there...

Many thanks for looking and best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

Poppy
The Cat Controller.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1044 on: October 18, 2018, 08:53:48 pm »
I hope she didn't pussy foot around too much on the train set. :no:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1045 on: October 18, 2018, 08:59:20 pm »
You could have ended up with a catastrophe!!!!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1046 on: October 18, 2018, 09:43:22 pm »
Did you have to “paws” the trains for a while?

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1047 on: October 21, 2018, 03:02:22 pm »
Playing With Trains

Hello Chums

What better way is there to relax after a hectic few days than to play with trains?  Simply sitting watching the trains go by is a particularly agreeable way of loafing around.  And it's all steam trains, of course, apart from the occasional GWR diesel railcar.

No loafing around for the two chaps on 'B12/3' No. 1545, of course, but they have her 'well on the boil' as she approaches Poppingham with an Up passenger train.  Driver Dick Trevithick has shut off steam, but there is no blowing off from the engine as Fireman Freddie Frith has an injector on.  First class enginemanship all round.

No. 1545 was our first Union Mills locomotive, arriving in January 2014.  She was rebuilt with the newer motor in April 2016.  She is something of a pet at Bobbington shed and chargehand fitter George Stephenson takes a particular pride in keeping her in first class condition.

By the way, I was chatting to Dick Trevithick the other day and he was very excited about a new locomotive that is going to be allocated to Bobbington shed very soon.  Unfortunately, he was not allowed to mention any details regarding the anticipated arrival.

Thank you very much for the PunFestTM following Poppy's recent post.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Cheerie-bye!

John

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1048 on: October 21, 2018, 03:26:57 pm »
What a nicely composed photograph.
Was it taken by that esteemed photographer Alber Tunnicliffe? He seems to have positioned his tripod and dualflex 11 perfectly.
The passengers aboard the motor omnibus have a perfect view of proceedings.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1049 on: October 22, 2018, 08:09:37 pm »
Many thanks, Martin.

The photograph was taken by Lord Poppingham's younger son, the Hon Bonzo Poppingham.

Yes, the passengers on the motor omnibus are having a 'grand day out'  They boarded an Edinburgh Corporation No. 6 'City Tour' at Waverley Bridge and now find themselves crossing the Bobbington Road bridge.  I hope that they are enjoying themselves; otherwise the Lord Provost will be receiving disagreeable correspondence.

I popped down to the sidings today to see if the new locomotive had arrived.  It hadn't, although Inspector Japp and Driver Dick Trevithick were inspecting a a formation of GWR carriages of Mr Collett's design that were stabled there.  Old Bill Dean passed on the Down line with No. 2576 on a short goods train and Neville Hill had No. 2242 on a very heavy goods train.  The 'Twenty-Two' passing on 'full blade' made an impressive sound.  I saw Mr Japp nodding his head in appreciation.  Geordie Stephenson at Bobbington shed keeps the engines in first-class order.

All this mystery about the new arrival is not good for my nerves.  I have asked Mabel to get in a cask of 'Broon' and I'll see if I can loosen Geordie's tongue...

I hope you are both keeping better.

Best wishes.

John

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here