!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 39860 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #1005 on: October 10, 2018, 07:15:48 pm »
An Interesting Event at Poppingham

Lord Poppingham telephoned first thing this morning and suggested that I meet him down at the yard, as something interesting was going to happen.  I thought about riding down on Thatch, but decided it would be better to go by motorcycle.  It's not far, so I did not trouble the Brough and took the Rudge instead.  When I arrived, Lord Poppingham was already there and talking to Signalman Saxby, who quickly pressed a cup of tea into my hand and handed me one of Mrs Saxby's famous 'sticky buns'.  Lord Poppingham explained that the Chairman of the Company had advised him that the Company had a request from the German railways and that a camaraman would be filming an unusual movement into the yard.  Signalman Saxby advised us that a special  train from Bobbington was 'on the block' and, a few seconds later, it emerged from the road bridge with some enthusiastic whistling from the engine.

The train drew to a standstill and then Passed Fireman Neville Hill bounded up the stairs and entered the 'box to 'sign the book'.  Neville was very surprised to see Lord Poppingham and me, but was his usual agreeable and enthusiastic self, although I noticed that he said, "Rule 55, Signalman" in a very precise voice before carefully signing the train register.  He then left the signalbox and a couple of minutes later Inspector James Japp and Driver Bill Dean came into the 'box.  Both of these gentlemen are great friends of Lord Poppingham and me, so there were greetings and smiles all round.  Old Bill is a lovely gentleman and he took particular care to tell Lord Poppingham that young Neville is a "Fine engineman."  Inspector Japp signed the train register and then gave his instructions for the special movement whilst Lord Poppingham and I stood quietly finishing our tea.

It appeared that the German railways were interested in the possibility of a reversing movement into a siding where the points constitute a severe reverse curve and had asked the Company for any help that could be provided.  The Chief Permanent Way Engineer had advised that Poppingham Yard Down Sidings provided the ideal place for a demonstration and all the necessary arrangements had been made.

It certainly was interesting to watch the demonstration and, courtesy of young Bertie Poppingham (the Hon Bertram Poppingham), I am glad to include a couple of photographs.

[No. 2253 draws to a halt.  The Civil Engineer is busy with the overbridge!]

[No. 2253 has safely reversed its 'B Set' over the reverse curve points and into the sidings.]

For the context of all of this rambling, I can do no better than to direct you to Matt's fascinating thread:-

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=42824.msg533221#msg533221

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1006 on: October 10, 2018, 07:25:20 pm »
What an interesting and most ingenious post.
Such a splendid idea to build in such an excellent link to Mattís thread. I am certain that he will take inspiration from your musings.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1007 on: October 11, 2018, 07:24:00 am »
Proper civil engineering - involving big weights.  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1008 on: October 11, 2018, 12:13:59 pm »
Many thanks, John for another very nice short story full of period atmosphere with very attractive photos. Of a GWR passenger train. I have a B Set in GWR livery, too. I am not sure if it is exactly the same livery as Dapol produce 3 variants!

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1009 on: October 11, 2018, 07:08:47 pm »
Proper civil engineering - involving big weights.  :thumbsup:

Yes indeed, Keith.  If in doubt, find a heavier weight!  After some very helpful contributions from Brian and Martin, I established what I thought was a suitably train-setty incline for the road leading up to the overbridge.  The weights are getting the balsa, which will be the road surface, used to the required profile...

The weights are from the kitchen scales, several photographic film containers filled with 2 pence coins, a bit of bullhead rail from the Western Region and a Midland Railway paperweight.  That ought to do the trick!

The goods train is hauled by a 'J27' 0-6-0 No. 1229.  The chaps are on Bonus, so don't mind working tender-first.

Back to the incline.  I saw a lovely photograph on page 491 of the June 2013 Railway Modeller which features exactly what I want.  The layout is '00' and is the 'Through the Railway Room Door' feature in that number of the magazine.  I often find that these are more interesting than the 'Railway of the Month' layouts. 

I like reading about layouts in all scales and gauges.  In this month's Railway Modeller (November 2018), I particularly enjoyed the '0' gauge tinplate feature on page 922 and the '09' layout on page 917.  The latter is interesting as it started out as an 'H0e' layout, but the builder was unhappy with the result and converted it to '09'.  I enjoyed his explanation of how the sharp curves looked wrong in 'H0e', but were fine in a scale twice the size.

Thank you for looking.

All best wishes

Pip-pip.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1010 on: October 11, 2018, 08:31:16 pm »
That paperweight would make a superb roundabout. In my misspent youth, actually before I misspent it, I had a couple of ancient wooden curtain rail ends similar in shape to the paperweight which I used as roundabouts with my Dinky Toys.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1011 on: October 12, 2018, 08:14:59 pm »
Many thanks, John for another very nice short story full of period atmosphere with very attractive photos. Of a GWR passenger train. I have a B Set in GWR livery, too. I am not sure if it is exactly the same livery as Dapol produce 3 variants!

Thank you, Chris.  That 'B Set' is in the 1934 GWR roundel livery.  I have another one in the earlier 'GWR' livery.

As the Table-Top Railway stops at Hogmanay 1938, I have avoided the 'Great Western' livery (or 'GWR' for locomotives).  I have to admit to a couple of Edward Thomson renumbered LNER locomotives which I hope no-one notices.  They'll not miss the malachite 'T9', though!

No picture from me today as I have something much, much better:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXoQJYqL4kw

Toodle-oo.

John

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1012 on: October 12, 2018, 08:38:40 pm »
Lovely video.  :thankyousign:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #1013 on: October 12, 2018, 09:33:40 pm »
that's a very impressive collection of Union Mills locomotives

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1014 on: October 13, 2018, 08:43:51 am »
Smashing vid, John, but at first I thought some greebo was outside on his BSA! ;)

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1015 on: October 13, 2018, 09:31:53 am »

Many thanks, Paul

I think that Union Mills locomotives are great fun.  I have a few engines from other manufacturers, but these see little use.  They are exquisitely detailed but don't, to me, have the 'character' of Union Mills models.  I didn't set out to collect them, but find myself in the situation, I believe, of requiring only the LMS '7F' 0-8-0 to 'complete the set'... thus far.  Hopefully, there will be many more to come. 

I know that you like LMS locomotives...

['2P' 4-4-0 No. 443 bursts out of Poppingham tunnel with an Up special train bound for Heysham.  Signalman Saxby told me that the train was for a delegation of locomotive people who were going to the Isle of Man, "To see a man about an engine!"  The locomotive is Bobbington shed's one in crimson lake livery and was running very well when it passed.  Unfortunately, it appears to have collected some dust as it passed through the tunnel.  Driver Duke and Fireman Frith will be very busy with the cleaning cloths when the locomotive comes off at Lancaster Green Ayre.

With all best wishes.

John

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 09:33:53 am by Train Waiting »

Online paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #1016 on: October 13, 2018, 10:36:13 am »

Many thanks, Paul

I think that Union Mills locomotives are great fun.  I have a few engines from other manufacturers, but these see little use.  They are exquisitely detailed but don't, to me, have the 'character' of Union Mills models.  I didn't set out to collect them, but find myself in the situation, I believe, of requiring only the LMS '7F' 0-8-0 to 'complete the set'... thus far.  Hopefully, there will be many more to come. 

I know that you like LMS locomotives...

['2P' 4-4-0 No. 443 bursts out of Poppingham tunnel with an Up special train bound for Heysham.  Signalman Saxby told me that the train was for a delegation of locomotive people who were going to the Isle of Man, "To see a man about an engine!"  The locomotive is Bobbington shed's one in crimson lake livery and was running very well when it passed.  Unfortunately, it appears to have collected some dust as it passed through the tunnel.  Driver Duke and Fireman Frith will be very busy with the cleaning cloths when the locomotive comes off at Lancaster Green Ayre.

With all best wishes.

John

Im very envious of your LMS collection, in fact even of some of your non-LMS loco;s

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1017 on: October 14, 2018, 05:05:47 pm »
Right Place; Right Time

1935-ish: Our friend the Prof was staying for the weekend and, having dined well but not wisely last evening, he and I went for a constitutional walk this morning.  Unsurprisingly, we made our way to the railway at the sidings close to Poppingham station.  Just as well I had my camera with me, as a famous and distinguished locomotive came running past at the head of a diverted express train.

['A1' 4-6-2 No. 4472, Flying Scotsman, passing the sidings this morning.]

2018: The 'Pacific' and its lovely four-carriage train, all by Dapol, are the Prof's.  He doesn't have a layout (yet), so he was glad to have an opportunity to run Flying Scotsman.  It ran well, not as smoothly as my Graham Farish 'A2' No. 60527 Sun Chariot, but perfectly acceptably.

Many thanks for looking.

All best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:13:33 pm by Train Waiting »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1018 on: October 15, 2018, 11:06:54 am »
Thanks for all the recent photographs John.
Iíve been out of circulation for a few days with visitors but now trying to catch up.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1019 on: October 15, 2018, 09:26:27 pm »
Thanks for all the recent photographs John.
Iíve been out of circulation for a few days with visitors but now trying to catch up.

Many thanks, Martin.

Here's something a little bit different.  I generally avoid post-1938 railways on Poppingham, but there is a brief period which I quite like.  Mr Churchill, I understand, declined to be made Duke of London so that he could remain in the House of Commons.  He is now back in No. 10 Downing Street.  That's a good start to the period.  It ends before the 1955 ASLEF strike that was so damaging to the railways.  The carriage livery when kept clean was very agreeable.  Like in this instance:

[Ex-LSWR '700 Class' 0-6-0 No. 30325 waits at Poppingham station with an Up stopping passenger train comprised of new BR standard stock.]

With particular thanks to Chris (IP) for the very nice CK and BSK (although pre-1956 the 'second' would have been 'third').

With best wishes.

John

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here