!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Help please for poor running  (Read 3170 times)

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
Re: Help please for poor running
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 03:55:14 pm »
At least you've still got trains to enjoy. Good luck with the repairs.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline daversmth

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 05:17:32 pm »
Just to complete the post - Bachmann replaced the motors in both units. Not got them back yet but assume thats case closed.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 05:28:29 pm »
When you get them back let us know how they run, please, Dave.

Offline daversmth

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 11:19:29 am »
So far the emu and 101 multiple units that had the motors replaced are running fine.

I did also send a third unit ( a DMU 108 ) not previously mentioned in this post, which was totally dead.
They replaced the PCB - it ran for about 2 minutes but has now stopped responding again - so I will return it for further investigation.
I can use DCC to turn the lights on and off but it does not respond to throttle settings.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:22:30 am by daversmth »

Offline daversmth

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 10:22:31 am »
Just an update on this topic.
I have now had 4 out of my 13 motors that have had to be replaced within 12 months, one for a new loco under warranty.

Given the frequency at which this occurs, the last time it happened I decided it was worthwhile seeing if I could do the motor replacement myself. So I purchased a replacement motor from BR lines and did the deed myself. That loco now runs fine and not too difficult to do if you take your time and make a careful mental note how it all fits together as you take it apart. I had to strip and reassamble twice but got there second time around.
I find most issues with my locos are resolved by cleaning wheel pickups or pcb to motor contacts. (They are all dcc) but sometimes motor replacement is needed.
15  a time to fix the issue is a lot more reasonable than the cost of sending it for repair.
I have been surprised though at how often the little blighters seem to need repair or maintenance.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2018, 10:34:20 am »
It seems to be a worrying trend which is, once again worrying, cropping up frequently on the forum.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2018, 10:47:19 am »
I have now had 4 out of my 13 motors that have had to be replaced within 12 months, one for a new loco under warranty.
Is there any pattern to the running time for each motor replacement or just random?
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline daversmth

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2018, 09:07:45 pm »
Is there any pattern to the running time for each motor replacement or just random?
Random I would say. The motor fault seems to manifest in the same way though with the motor running a short while then tripping the current limiter on the controller.

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 12:02:03 am »
I have to say that is an exceptionally high attrition rate, and so unless you consider yourself extremely unlucky, we have to consider whether there is another common causal factor unique to your set-up... What controller(s) are you using? what is the input power supply (volts and amps), what is the output when not under load??

It seems to be a worrying trend which is, once again worrying, cropping up frequently on the forum.
BUT like most of these recurring issues isolated to a small minority of users and not affecting the majority...
 :hmmm:

Offline daversmth

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 07:27:36 am »
I have to say that is an exceptionally high attrition rate, and so unless you consider yourself extremely unlucky, we have to consider whether there is another common causal factor unique to your set-up... What controller(s) are you using? what is the input power supply (volts and amps), what is the output when not under load??

BUT like most of these recurring issues isolated to a small minority of users and not affecting the majority...
 :hmmm:

Thanks for the input.
I had the same thought about an underlying cause but have looked into that and came up with a blank.
I will just have to see how it goes from here and hope that the pattern does not continue.

Offline Bramshot

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 11:09:49 am »
I also have had at least one motor burn out, mine was a Class 55, and it took the decoder chip with it. It was the same decoder you were originally using. The Bachmann one with the blue heat shrink?

The new Bachmann Decoder is somewhat better IMO, gives very smooth low speed response BUT the connection pins are made from very soft copper and are not of a sufficiently heavy gauge to make good contact with the sockets. They drift in and out of the socket with very little force and I think would fall out out if held at the wrong angle. I have to put a kink in the pins to get a good grip and contact.

I have told Bachmann about this and they say they are looking into it.

These decoders are Zimo, by the way.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here