!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Crooked creek  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Crooked creek
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 09:09:36 pm »
I get the bit about pattern makers dowels but the rest of it is so far over my head it's stratospheric, Neil :dunce:

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 07:17:21 pm »
Was out buying bday presents for the Mrs yesterday in settle and was granted some time to pursue my hobby for a change  :laugh3: So I strolled round to dcc concepts one and only UK hq-i opened the huge blue doors to be greeted by a very happy man and a lot of displays /stands of all their products . They also have a layout under construction running around the outer wall . For my American layout i will have a six road storage yard at the back and have always intended to use their cobalt ip analogue motors because I like a mimic board to set points ! Anyway I asked the question what was the best way to use their equipment for route setting I.e push a few buttons so all points line up round the layout ready for a train. His answer for the storage yard ......

These little beauties -surface mounted -very small and supplied with cables adapters and the ability to be daisy chained up to 4/5 units all on the same output from the board . Require a power source and switches to work - But a superb looking piece of kit -cant wait to try it out !,
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 07:31:02 pm »
Happy Birthday to Mrs. outofgauge :beers:

Online Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 09:08:59 pm »
Thanks for this, Neil

I have an out-of site fiddle yard that Bealman thinks I should fit with electrical control on the turnouts. The thought of digging holes in the baseboard and the contortions under the board necessary to fit them has filled me with dread. However, these DCC Concepts switches may be the answer for me, too.

Webbo

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 09:17:40 pm »
All of it can be surface mounted including the control board -lovely precise adjustable movement -( Was shown one working) I was impressed mate -their even coming up with a way to use the alpha switches I bought a while ago -you can't argue with service like that ! I know there not cheap -but reliable out of normal reach operation is what I want -plus no dam loud clack as they change !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 08:44:47 pm »
For a size comparison -sorry folks that's a UK new 10p piece -approx 24mm dia  !

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 01:42:48 am »
This thread is becoming very interesting. I've always liked American mines ever since I first saw the classic Clinchfield project in the seventies. Your plan looks great!

Also, the point motors could certainly be a possible solution for Webbo's storage loops.

Keep it coming!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 05:33:06 pm »
Hi Neil

I just found your thread.
You got a fantastic plack plan, Neil!
Great baseboard construction too.
The way you are making it, it'll be a super layout for sure!!
Please share with us how to use those surface point  machines when you ready.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your great modelling!!

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline Blackfordhibby

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 01:38:51 pm »
Neil

A fascinating baseboard construction so far. Must follow this to it's conclusion, beats my hole, nut, bolt, and two washers job. Topped off with a rive up with a ratchet, used to use an 12" shifter but upgraded.

Regards

Peter

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 05:43:30 pm »
Been in the shiney new man cave today -playing with my newly acquired pillar drill ( not new but fantastic machine ) and then decided I'd make the two end plates for my new american layout. Ive covered the materials involved and what /were and how i was going to do it before. So ill just put the pictures up and if we have questions ill respond accordingly ! Took a couple of hours to complete but im happy with the results . Top edge is in perfect allignment with zero slop-the bottom edge is what it is -as nothing goes on that is important at the min ( im still looking at the leg system and how to attach it ( wood insert and smaller thumb screw is looking good !)

I also had a play with some adhesives -i read somewhere that cedar can be hard to glue - no problems with titebond II grabbed hold in 10 mins -was well set in 20 mins under a clamp will leave it 24 hrs then assault it with a hammer !!! But i use titebond all the time -and I know it won't let go !!

If the weather's kind tomorrow-i'll make up some of the side frames -so you can see were im going !
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 10:35:50 pm by outofgauge, Reason: Spelling error »
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 10:21:53 pm »
Hi there Neil, first time I have seen this thread, looking good. I remember having a B&D pillar drill thing, you fitted a B&D drill onto it. I had it in the garage for years hardly ever used, when I found a use for it the casting broke on the platform so I ended up throwing it away. On my layout which is semi modular, I have used the dowels to fit mine together, but managed it by making a piece of wood has a jig to mark the boards. Out of the six joints I only had one which was slightly out but soon fettled. I have also used suitcase catches on the sides to hold the boards together. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 09:39:22 am »
Looks very neat, Neil :thumbsup:
Not having all the kit I just used bullet dowels and latches sourced from Station Road Baseboards but am well happy with the results.

http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/cart_dowels.htm

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 10:42:45 am »
That's where I got my dowels and catches from Mick but I only used my hand drill and bit.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 11:29:55 am »
That's where I got my dowels and catches from Mick but I only used my hand drill and bit.

Ah - but I'm the Reg Prescott (Kenny Everett on YouTube) of the DIY world, Chris :-[

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 11:45:44 am »
Sooooo sorry folks -been away far too long-what with picking up some virus in the new year (3wks laid up ) usual holiday in Feb (2wks) new kitchen ( on going )and work has been mental plus a quick visit to Italy (see photos elsewhere ) I Havn't had time to do hardly anything bar make up some off the side frames for the layout .Had a visit to Dcc Concepts hq ( Settle) for some more bits and a chat with the good men up there ! Any way I've got some pictures to post for those interested - not quite finished them yet -a bit more work with the router to do and then a finishing coat of varnish to protect it all ! I'm happy with them so far -very light - very strong -straight and true. And weigh less than a solid pine board equivalent by a good bit ) Anyway - The pics --

Outer edge of 6mm ply 129mm height  with the red cedar blocks 10010019mm

Screws are only temp whilst the glue sets (20min)

6mm ply inner edge 100 mm . The small holes are 18g stainless brads ( cedar will destroy steel fixings very quickly )  put in with the air nailer again just to hold whilst the glue goes off but these are permanent.

Sits in the jig for an hour to help the glue set.

I've replaced the standard Nce plastic faceplate with dcc concepts metal option -looks nicer too !

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations