!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 40756 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #945 on: May 29, 2018, 09:37:31 pm »
Many thanks for these excellent but all-too-realistic photos. At its end, the Bude branch saw single coach (a lone Maunsell design carriage) passenger trains worked by a BR Standard 2-6-4T whilst the rest of the North Cornwall line, mainly, saw two-coach trains, although a single ex-GWR coach behind an NB Type 2, offseason, was also seen [photos. to come], before BR WR's DMUs and single unit diesel railcars, mainly, took over. Goods trains, whilst not as long and frequent as they had once been, still loaded quite well until their axing (apart from the china clay, milk, petrol, and fertiliser trains) by BR WR.

In our 'Alternative Cornwall', however, it is a little-known fact that a trip, with the Doctor and his granddaughter, Susan, in the TARDIS, to the abandoned, trackless Wadebridge station yard, in 1982, left such a strong impression on Sylvia Trevelver and Eli Guillou that, on return to Trevelver Castle, they convinced Sylvia's mother and father to do all they could to prevent this becoming reality without (then) explaining why. Later, in 1962, they discovered that the Doctor had, as early as 1949, taken Sylvia's grandmother on a similar trip to the same place and time galvanising the future Dowager Lady Trevelver to ensure that, in Cornwall, the integrated road and rail transport system (with integrated ticketing and timetabling) expected of the British Transport Commission actually occurred.

Like her redoubtable mother, Lady Penelope Trevelver, was a great supporter of the Southern Railway and its successor BR SR; whilst her husband followed in his long-established family tradition of believing that the Great Western Railway and its successor was the epitome of all that a railway should be. Being great friends with the Trevarnon family of Tregonning, Lord Trevelver worked with them to support the founding of the Cornwall branches of the Great Western Society to preserve the best of the GWR and BR WR, whilst Lady Trevelver did the same for the Cornish Locomotive Preservation Group (CLPG) which soon expanded beyond preserving locomotives to do the same for the LSWR, SR and BR SR through its local branches whilst becoming known simply as the CLPG. The Trevarnons and Trevelvers also helped to found and encourage the success of the Association for the Promotion of Cornwallís Railways which worked with all important local organisations to strengthen the use and promotion of an integrated rail transport system.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:35:40 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #946 on: May 30, 2018, 07:02:08 am »
galvanising the future Dowager Lady Trevelver to ensure that, in Cornwall, the integrated road and rail transport system (with integrated ticketing and timetabling) expected of the British Transport Commission actually occurred.
Much like the TAG system introduced in the late 80s in Grenoble.  You time stamped a ticket when you got on a bus or tram and it could then be used on any tram or bus for up to one hour.  The only exception was that it couldn't be used on the same line twice to prevent use as a return ticket.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #947 on: May 30, 2018, 07:50:03 am »
Such integrated transport systems have long been the norm on the Continent. When I lived in Frankfurt-am-Main, I had a monthly FVV ticket which covered all public transport within the greater city limits. Prague has a similar system.

Co-ordinated public transport came to the U.K., apart from London, far later than it should have done. The vision was there in 1948 but it was never properly implemented. I suspect thanks to the 'road lobby'.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #948 on: June 12, 2018, 11:50:45 am »
The holidaymakers aboard the motor coach passing over Trepol Bay rail bridge get a good view of proceedings on the railway below.
Some 51000Lbs of tractive effort lifts a short train away from the station towards Wadebridge.
Now......this is an unusual train as a second Standard Class 4 has been allocated to the area after a successful trial with the original locomotive.
Initially the rather dyed in the wool footplatemen in the area were reluctant to work with the Standard 4 tank but had grown to like and respect the locomotive.
The new arrival having worked up to North Cornwall via the GW main line to Truro was quickly put to work on the line between Truro, Trepol Bay and Wadebridge and also on the withered arm towards Exeter.
Interestingly, the harbour branch is very unusually being worked by an ex GW prarie tank today.
Presumably, the usual Class 04 diesel shunter is out of service.

It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #949 on: June 12, 2018, 12:40:57 pm »
Thank you, Martin, for another very nice photo. The second BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4T is 80041 with a Late BR Crest and allocated (like all the North Cornwall ones, to 72A, Exmouth Junction, where it arrived in June 1962). After transfer to the WR as 83D September 1963, No. 80041 left Exmouth Junction for 83G Templecombe in May 1965 where it stayed until March 1966.

The preserved by the GWS (Port Perran), specially cleaned, 45xx 2-6-2T in BR Unlined Black Early Crest livery, No. 4554, has come up from 83F (Truro, where it was allocated from August 1950 to May 1958 before transfer to 83G Penzance from where it was withdrawn in August 1958). After withdrawal, No. 4554 was stored before being sent to Newton Abbot Works for a Heavy General overhaul, paid for by the GWS's local sponsors, then allocated to 83F, on an operating lease, for use as agreed, but sub-shedded at Port Perran shed where it is very well looked after. [The last British Rail steam engine to be overhauled in the Newton Abbot workshops was ex-GWR 4500 Class number 4566, outshopped on 15 July 1966.]

Good to see the "Seagull Coaches" luxury motor coach taking tourists out to enjoy Cornwall, too.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:11:23 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #950 on: June 12, 2018, 09:09:07 pm »
Thank you very much for that lovely photograph.  It looks like a very nice Cornish evening.  It's my understanding that the BR '4MT' 2-6-4Ts were generally popular with the enginemen.  The late Derek Cross called them 'Vultures', as they had a tendency to appear on branch lines just prior to closure.  I certainly hope that this is not the case at Trepol Bay.

The out of service diesel locomotive is not a surprise, but the 'Prairie' will be a delightful substitute.  I like the 'Prairie' tank engines - the smaller the better.  The straight tank 'forty-fives' are my favourite.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #951 on: June 14, 2018, 09:04:17 pm »
So....after just over two weeks of relatives visiting and me visiting and collecting said relatives and subsequently returning them to Wiltshire, life returns to normal in our little cottage.
The guest room will revert to a railway room tomorrow with Trepol Bay back in full action and Tregonningís case opened up again for further work.
Irritatingly, somehow over the last week, Iíve mahanged to get a cluster of insect bites on my right leg which have become infected leaving the area rather sore.
Iím on a three week round of strong antibiotics just to be sure nothing nasty develops so no alcohol for a while.
Grrrrrrr......
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #952 on: June 14, 2018, 09:13:09 pm »
Leg ... infection ... 3 week antibio...
I know that is definetely something nobody wants!

All the best and get well.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #953 on: June 14, 2018, 09:14:31 pm »
That sounds nasty, Martin. I hope your right leg heals fully, soon. Isn't there any soothing cream you can spread on the sore area?

Looking forward to seeing Trepol Bay back in full action and further detailing work on Tregonning. There should be more through trains, plus the "Seagull Coaches" Bedford OB Coach.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #954 on: June 14, 2018, 09:16:41 pm »
Thank you very much for that lovely photograph.  It looks like a very nice Cornish evening.  It's my understanding that the BR '4MT' 2-6-4Ts were generally popular with the enginemen.  The late Derek Cross called them 'Vultures', as they had a tendency to appear on branch lines just prior to closure.  I certainly hope that this is not the case at Trepol Bay.

The out of service diesel locomotive is not a surprise, but the 'Prairie' will be a delightful substitute.  I like the 'Prairie' tank engines - the smaller the better.  The straight tank 'forty-fives' are my favourite.

John

The BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4Ts are, probably, my favourite steam locos. There should be a parade of 45xx 'straight tanks' at Cant Cove, this summer. My favourite GWR tank locos., though, are the 4575s and 14xxs.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #955 on: June 14, 2018, 09:17:51 pm »
I remember, in 1983, I had a nasty bite on my left leg, just below the knee and it turned into a carbuncle.  Just before I went off to my first Summer School.  Antibiotics were definitely needed.  I still have the scar.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #956 on: June 14, 2018, 09:28:42 pm »
It's nice to have visitors but even better to get rid of them. :D
I was attacked by several ticks recently. My doctor recommended an antibiotic cream 3 times daily for a fortnight. It worked and I didn't have to give up the essential liquid. :beers:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #957 on: June 14, 2018, 09:35:00 pm »
I'm very sorry to hear this, Martin and hope that the antibiotics sort it out.

I'm in Berwick-upon-Tweed tomorrow on 1:1 scale (or is it gauge?!) railway business.  When this is complete, I'll have a 'swift half' (or two) overlooking the Tweed and toast your return to full health.  That first glass of red wine after you have finished with the antibiotics will be simply wonderful...

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #958 on: June 15, 2018, 07:09:41 am »
Blimey, no vino for a while!  :'(

Hope that it all clears up quickly, looking forward to the next updates.

Online AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #959 on: June 15, 2018, 08:19:48 am »
Blimey, no vino for a while!  :'(

Hope that it all clears up quickly, looking forward to the next updates.
And no beer during the football worldchampionships...
and NO CIDER
 :ouch:
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91%