!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 40790 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #900 on: April 11, 2018, 04:56:15 pm »
Railway enthusiasts in West and North Cornwall are in a state of high excitement and anticipation. As predicted on Sunday, a special train is due to run from Penzance to Bristol this afternoon via Redruth, Port Perran, Trepol Bay, Wadebridge and on to Exeter via the North Cornwall line.
It is rumoured that the locomotive due to haul the train ran down overnight from Birmingham under the cover of darkness and was this morning stabled deep within Long Rock loco shed.
Enthusiasts in Birmingham believe that the loco arrived there from York on Monday with a special train conveying senior staff members from Rowntrees to a conference in Bourneville.
The locomotive was specially requested by members of the CLPG to take them on a five day visit to Edinburgh via the Waverley route which explains its journey from Birmingham to Penzance.
We await its identity with mounting anticipation........
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #901 on: April 11, 2018, 06:53:41 pm »
The 'state of excitement and anticipation' of railway enthusiasts in West and North Cornwall is matched, I'm given to understand, by that of the members of the Edinburgh Licensed Trade Association.  A train full of Cornish railway enthusiasts visiting the city for five days is a glorious prospect :pint: :pint: .

I hope to see the special passing.  Down trains on the Waverley Route are running down from Falahill Summit hereabouts, so there will not be much to hear.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #902 on: April 11, 2018, 07:04:15 pm »
Connecting trains from Penmayne to Wadebridge are being specially strengthened and all will call at Cant Cove to ensure that local enthusiasts will be able to see and photograph the special train even if they cannot afford to buy tickets on it. The CLPG have promised special local steam locos. and coaches will be allocated to these connecting trains. Vans of refreshments for restocking the train during its stop at Wadebridge have been added to local goods and passenger services.

The "Chelsea Girls" have been assured of a reserved 1st Class compartment and will be bringing rugs and pillows.

Local photographers are praying for sunny weather.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #903 on: April 11, 2018, 07:43:58 pm »
So....the patience of the local enthusiasts has been rewarded.
First we see the special passing through Port Perran:

Yes.....itís a B12/3 in LNER livery!
The enthusiasts could hardly believe their eyes and it appears that the local gangers are agog too.

It is seen later passing Trepol Bay:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:45:44 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #904 on: April 11, 2018, 08:36:43 pm »
Most wonderful!

No. 1565 is an enchanting engine.  I'm no enthusiast for the LNER '1946' renumbering, apart for the agreeable instance of the '1500s' becoming 1500s again!

Many thanks for these fabulous photographs, Martin.  Are you feeling the need for a rake of the lovely Dapol Gresley teak carriages?

The engine's apple green livery is in apple-pie order.  She's been prepared to perfection, I'd say.

The combination of your photographic skills and Union Mills' paint finish has resulted in that magical shine along the boiler.  So many model locomotives nowadays have a very flat finish.  I have acquired an Ixion Models 'Manor' in GWR livery and it is not, to my eye, anything like GWR green.  No depth at all.

Finally, if you have the April 2018 Railway Magazine, there is a splendid picture of No. 8572 running on the Severn Valley Railway last month, which is almost as good as your photographs of No. 1565!  (Page 66 refers.)

Thanks again for these photographs and I hope to see this lovely locomotive passing on the final stage of its journey to Edinburgh.

All the very best.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #905 on: April 11, 2018, 08:51:50 pm »
Thank you John.
This all came about because I paid a visit to a colleague from our local N Gauge grouo on Sunday. He has a rather splendid N Gauge layout that runs all around the house. Yes, living room, 2 bedrooms and hall. Amazing. Only thing is it is 1980s diesel. He had said he had one rarher old UM steam engine however and said heíd hunt it out and bring it along to our next meeting (today).
Now, I give him a lift to our club meetings so he arrived today at my house ready for the lift with 1565 all boxed up. It is rather elderly but ran (just about) for the first time for about 10 years.
Anyway, I thought it would look just fine for now posed for photos.
I was bowled over when he said I could keep it as a gift for giving him a lift each week. Brilliant.
I shall give it a clean and an oil and see if I can get it running a bit better.
Thanks Steve.
My Layouts -

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #906 on: April 11, 2018, 09:13:44 pm »
I'm sure that a careful clean and a very light oil then a good running session should bring it back to smooth running, Martin.

It does look very good but I agree a rake of Gresley coaches (very expensive, I know) would be the finishing touch. Failing that a rake of BR Lined Maroon Standard (Mk I) coaches looks very good. A Collett 'strengthener' has been added by the WR, I see.

Now you'll have to come up with a story explaining No. 1565's preservation in 1946 LNER livery. No. 1565 brought back many happy memories to Lady Trevelver's mother.

Thanks for another excellent set of highly attractive photos. Very good to see Port Perran, again.

I hope, on Friday, to post some pictures of the sold-out special connecting services to and from Wadebridge.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #907 on: April 12, 2018, 09:51:01 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the excellent photos of the most intruiging visitor Martin, the apple green livery is really special & looks right at home on Port Perran
     regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #908 on: April 17, 2018, 07:14:34 pm »
Early and late evening sees an interesting and complex series of parcels and mail trains throughout Cornwall.
One such working sees an early evening train from Wadebridge to Truro via Trepol Bay, Newquay, Port Perran and Chacewater.
A single passenger coach is always added at the front but is used mainly by locals travelling to adjacent stations as the entire journey (which involves dropping and collecting coaches and vans at various stations) takes nearly 3 hours for the 28 miles. Leisurely progress indeed!
The train is seen at Trepol Bay behind an Ivatt 2-6-2T and contains vehicles from Penmayne  and Wadebridge. The two vehicles in the bay at Trepol Bay will be added to the train for Truro during a 25 minute layover here.
The two rearmost vehicles are a pparcels carriage for Newquay and a van for Tregonning (both of which will be removed at Newquay):

Some 90 minutes later, the van is seen being reversed into the bay at Tregonning as part of the 19.23 service from Newquay headed (as usual) by a green WR prarie tank :

My Layouts -

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #909 on: April 17, 2018, 07:47:16 pm »
Thank you Martin. Great pics. Really lovely.

I already gave you an extra pain au chocolat on the Tregonning thread earlier so no more for now. Maybe tomorrow. Wonderful stuff.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:07:10 pm by weave »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #910 on: April 17, 2018, 08:02:02 pm »
I would actually love a pain au chocolate but am on a diet.
Iíve lost just over a stone over 8 weeks and would really like to lose about another 6lbs to get me down to 11st 8ish.
Iíve done it by really cutting back on cakes with coffee, slughtly smaller portions,no chocolate and no crisps or peanuts (all weaknesses for me). Plus, lots of walking.
Iíll enjoy those pain au chocolates when I reach my goal. 
Still allowed a small glass of something in the evening though  :beers:
My Layouts -

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #911 on: April 17, 2018, 08:15:57 pm »
Hi Martin,

Sorry  :doh:. That's probably the last thing you wanted to hear while on a diet but WELL DONE for losing a stone. Enjoy your evening tipple.

:beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #912 on: April 17, 2018, 08:20:12 pm »
Hi Martin,

Sorry  :doh:. That's probably the last thing you wanted to hear while on a diet but WELL DONE for losing a stone. Enjoy your evening tipple.

:beers:
No worries at all Chris. I do allow myself one small cake per week.
My Layouts -

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #913 on: April 18, 2018, 10:00:28 am »
Looking good there Martin. That's my weakness too another small cake,I should be nine and a half stone, I have got near 9s_8 but another small cake and I am back at 9s11. Only a few pounds too much, I need to do more walking again. I was ill last week with a flare up but getting back now,a bit of nice weather and I will be ok.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #914 on: April 18, 2018, 07:54:05 pm »
After all my heart problems and fear of doing anything strenuous, I found out just how unfit I am today when I walked through the town centre!
I had previously lost a lot of weight, but have put a fair bit back on.  :(
I'm laying paving slabs tomorrow in the heat, then pumping the bike tyres up.....that should lose a bit!

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything