!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Perran/Trepol Bay  (Read 45956 times)

Offline BoxTunnel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Perran/Trepol Bay
« Reply #885 on: April 07, 2018, 10:58:48 pm »
Wow, as a night worker myself you have captured the lighting perfectly - darkness with pools of light where necessary.

Graham, late for work!
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #886 on: April 08, 2018, 02:16:22 am »
Fantastic pictures Martin,

I really look forward to your posts as you have an fantastic eye for a great photo, and they capture the atmosphere of your layout perfectly

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

All best wishes
Kevin

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #887 on: April 08, 2018, 04:02:33 pm »
These are super photographs, Martin.  It must have been tricky to get them so good with the special lighting effects.  I thought the first one was especially good; the fireman of the 'Standard 5' appears to have the firedoors open as there is a glare visible from the cab.  He has shut them by the time of the next photograph.  Clever stuff!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #888 on: April 08, 2018, 07:34:52 pm »
Many thanks for the excellent photos., Martin. I have yet to try night photography of trains although all the lighting on Cant Cove works. (There are still some buildings with interior lighting to be fitted, though.)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #889 on: April 08, 2018, 07:54:04 pm »
Yesterday, I mentioned the 22.10 goods to Newton Abbot  - Hinksey Yard.
On a Sunday, the train runs, normally at 19.15 and today was no exception. The train is assembled in the sdings just to the West of Trepol Bay station and requires sme intricate shunting movements of wagons which have been loaded on the harbour.
First we see the local Class 04 and 08 diesel shunters working the harbour lines. They are allowed a total of 4 (max) loaded wagons up the harbour incline.
Today, we have a variety of wagons from the brewery distribution depot, fish from the packing warehouse, a wagon from Messrs Prisk and Jones (fruit and veg wholesalers), an empty wagon from J&W Stuart (netmakers) returning to the far North West, an empty oil tanker and a load of pipes (having arrived by boat earlier).

The 45xx on the main line is working a short local goods to Newquay.

The assembled Newton Abbot freight is ready to leave Trepol Bay behind an N mog7l which will work the train as far as Exeter.

And finally, once all the activity has subsided, an unusually quiet view of Trepol Bay station taken from above the harbour rooftops

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #890 on: April 08, 2018, 08:03:20 pm »
A rumour is circulating amongst the local enthusiasts at Trepol Bay of the possible one off appearance of a VERY, VERY, VERY rare visitor to the area on Wednesday.
It is believed that it could be of particular interest to a certain Mr Train Waiting - a fellow enthusiast from “Up North”............
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #891 on: April 08, 2018, 08:05:45 pm »
As always, lovely pics Martin

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #892 on: April 08, 2018, 08:10:00 pm »
Many thanks, Martin, for another excellent set of photos. The enthusiast grapevine is very excited about the rumoured possibility of the one-off appearance of a VERY, VERY, VERY rare visitor to the area on Wednesday. Photographers have been notified to await a telephone call.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #893 on: April 09, 2018, 08:22:10 am »
Specially cleaned 'Prairie' tank 4554 BR Black Early Crest, pictured previously, was allocated to 83F (Truro), 9/50-5/58.

5572 BR Black Early Crest, pictured recently, was allocated to 83E St Blazey, 9/60-4/61, and was one of only two Auto Prairies shedded at St. Blazey (83E), 5534: 1/60-8/60, being the other and which will be appearing at Cant Cove, in the future. No. 5572 was allocated to Plymouth Laira (83D) 2/58-9/60 and 4/61-4/62 and, later, carried BR Lined Green small Late Crest livery. So, you can use No. 5572 with all your autocoaches. Whether No. 5572 will appear at Cant Cove and in which livery has still to be seen.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:02:51 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #894 on: April 09, 2018, 08:57:51 am »
Thank you for the lovely pictures of Trepol Bay and the 1915 Sundays Only goods train to Hinksey Yard.

A rumour is circulating amongst the local enthusiasts at Trepol Bay of the possible one off appearance of a VERY, VERY, VERY rare visitor to the area on Wednesday.
It is believed that it could be of particular interest to a certain Mr Train Waiting - a fellow enthusiast from “Up North”............

What can this one-off visitor be?  Trepol Bay is gauged for those wide GWR locomotives that bash platform edges elsewhere, so the limit will be axle loading.  I've sort of assumed that Trepol Bay can accommodate 'Red Route' GWR engines so, hopefully, 'RA9' will be fine as well, if the visitor is from the LNER/BR(E)/BR(NE)/BR(Sc).  But, maybe, it will be something gorgeous in crimson lake.

But why am I assuming that the visitor is a locomotive?  It might be a Pullman Car with Jenny Agutter enjoying afternoon tea  :heart2:.  After all, you did say, '... particular interest...'

I'll have to wait until Wednesday  :whistle:!

Thanks again for all those fabulous photographs.  Hopefully, there will be some from Port Perran as well over the next few days.

Must dash - I have a 'J39' to dismantle!

Cheerie-bye!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #895 on: April 09, 2018, 09:53:04 am »
The (G)WR Route availability colour codes system was based on axleloading and was as follows:

Uncoloured  - up to 14 tons; 1366, 2301

Yellow  - Up to 16 tons; 2251, 45xx, Class 22 Type 2

Blue -  Up to 17tons 12cwt; 2884, 61xx

Red - All engines over 17 tons 12cwt, (except "King" Class ones which were Double Red); 47xx, 49xx ("Hall"), 94xx, Class 42 Type 4 "Warship".

Power and route restriction indications

The route colour disc, with the power classification letter inside it, began to appear from mid-1919, and were indicated by a 2˝" black letter centered within a 4˝" diameter coloured circle. These were placed above the number plate, or high up on the cabside plates where no cabside windows were present.

The colour of the circle is the general axle weight restriction:

Colour            Axle weight
(uncoloured): 14 tons or below (even if a route was classified 'Uncoloured', i.e. the Tetbury branch, 55xx's were permitted and they were Yellow. So photos of locos on a line may not give an accurate indication of its specified Route Colour)
yellow: 14 tons up to 16 tons;
blue: 16 tons up to 17 tons 12cwt
red: above 17 tons 12cwt (however, the 47XX were banned from quite a lot of 'Red' route mileage)
double red   for Kings

The principle of allowing certain classes to work over lines from which their RA colour would suggest them to be barred was long established although subject to restrictions in most cases, and usually only one colour lower; e.g. 94xx from Cant Cove to Penmayne at restricted speed. Equally, in some cases engines of a lower colour were prohibited over routes with a higher colour, e.g 92XXX - which were RA Blue - were barred between Wellington and Saltney Jcn, which was a Red route.

The restrictions are as they were at a particular point in time and could, and did, change over the years.

The black letter in the circle is the power group, according to the maximum tractive effort:

Letter   Tractive effort, lbs max
(none) 16500; e.g. 1361, 14xx
A   18500; 16xx, 2301
B   20500; 1101, 2251
C   25500; 45xx, 57xx
D   33000; 4073 ("Castle"), 43xx, 56xx
E   38000; 2884, 72xx
('special')   above 38000; 60xx ("King")

The 'special' code equated in reality to no letter being present in the "King" double red discs.

For a map, from George Behrend's wonderful book, "Gone With Regret", see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/longsheds/8439082392/

However, this diagram needs to be treated with caution. The Falmouth Branch is shown as un-coloured, but the BR(W) booklet shows it as RED! Things did change with time, but that's a major upgrade.

The "hatched red" routes comprised Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads, both via Bath and via Badminton; Reading to Devonport via Newbury; Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton; and Paddington to Wolverhampton Low Level via Bicester. Further routes were raised to this category after Nationalisation: Wolverhampton to Chester via Shrewsbury; and Bristol to Shrewsbury via Abergavenny.

In addition, there were -- but not shown on the engines themselves -- 'Dotted' colours, e.g. Dotted Red allowed a Red engine to run over what were otherwise certain Blue routes but at restricted speed.  Equally some Red engines were barred from running on Red routes - e.g. 47xx 2-8-0s not permitted into Cornwall or South Wales.

In a few cases, e.g. 57xx Class pannier tank locos. were recoded to a colour lower than their axleload would suggest and this was because they had been found to have less than expected hammer blow so caused less damage to the track than other engines of their axle load; accordingly, in 1950, they were reclassified from "Blue" to "Yellow".

The letter codes on the RA disc were the GWR equivalent of the Power class based on tractive effort. They weren't anything to do with Route availability.

However, in practice, the situation was even more complicated. For example, the BR(W) June 1963 Bristol & Plymouth Divisions' Locomotive Route Availability (Branch Lines) booklet  showed that:

Even though 9Fs were BLUE, there were additional restrictions. On RED routes, Siding Restrictions were as per 28/38xx class. On Blue Routes, as for 38xx and restricted to 50mph. On Dotted Blue, restricted to 25mph. Prohibited on Yellow and Uncoloured routes - obviously! Then there were a multitude of local restrictions; i.e. Bristol Temple Meads to Wapping Wharf - Red Route, limited to 5mph!! Minehead branch - Blue route line, 92xxx prohibited. And so it goes on.

To conclude, in our 'Alternative Cornwall', the Truro-Port Perran-Newquay-Trepol Bay-Wadebridge-Bodmin Road lines were upgraded to Red in the early 1930s, (using Government subsidised loans to alleviate unemployment, under the Development (Loan Guarantees and Grants) Act of 1929), as an alternative route to Truro-Plymouth-Bodmin Road-Wadebridge. Wadebridge to Cant Cove was also upgraded by BR WR, in the early 1960s to accommodate heavier trains, before Dr. Beeching cancelled the more expensive work from Cant Cove to Penmayne which, therefore, remains a Blue-coded route. Hence, most trains change locos. at Wadebridge.

(In real life, Bodmin Road-Wadebridge was upgraded to Blue in WW2 to allow 43xx locos. to haul GWR trains from Wadebridge to Exeter as an alternate route to the GWR mainline.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:08:43 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #896 on: April 09, 2018, 12:46:02 pm »
Thanks Chris, for your comprehensive listing.  I remember that the routes to Shrewsbury and Chester were certainly hauled by Kings by the late 1950s.  I think the route to Aberystwyth must have been upgraded after the war as well because the Cambrian Coast Express was usually hauled by a Castle (although there may have been a loco change at Shrewsbury).
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #897 on: April 09, 2018, 01:44:04 pm »
Many thanks for this, Chris.

And for mentioning the late Mr Behrend.  I have 'Gone With Regret' and 'Don't Knock the Southern'; both are excellent.  The kind of railway books that one packs in the luggage when going away.  Like anything by C Hamilton Ellis or David L Smith.

Thanks Chris, for your comprehensive listing.  I remember that the routes to Shrewsbury and Chester were certainly hauled by Kings by the late 1950s.  I think the route to Aberystwyth must have been upgraded after the war as well because the Cambrian Coast Express was usually hauled by a Castle (although there may have been a loco change at Shrewsbury).

Laurence,I'm as certain as a non-WR person can be that there was a locomotive change at Salop.  'Manors' are the locomotives I associate with the 'CCE'.  I think the Cambrian was one of the routes that was used as a justification for the BR 'Standard' '4MT' 4-6-0 class which was (I think) RA4.  The '5MT' 4-6-0 was (again, I think) RA7.  The good thing about the 'Manors' was that they were Power Class 'D' and 'Blue' route availability.  A smaller boiler was the key.  This brought its own problems, of course.

John

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #898 on: April 09, 2018, 09:21:57 pm »
I'm glad that it was useful, Lawrence and John.

I can confirm that the "Cambrian Coast Express" did change locos. at Shrewsbury. "Manors" then, under the LMR, BR Standards (4MT 4-6-0s), were used.

Somewhere I must have the details of the Power Class and Route Availability for all (G)WR steam locos. and WR diesel hydraulics, at least.

I had never heard of "Don't Knock the Southern" but have ordered it as "Gone With Regret" is one of my most favourite books. (I have both the First and Second Editions -- different photos. and some factual updates.)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #899 on: April 09, 2018, 10:43:45 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks for your latest photos Martin, the Evening shots are really superb & thanks for the route info Chris
    regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here