!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)  (Read 35247 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: Longframlington (Northumbrian branch line)
« Reply #435 on: Yesterday at 09:15:12 am »

Not the best of photos but this is the uncoupler at the station throat - four under-track magnets on a single hinged flap. It works, although I need to put down markers (I normally use old sleepers by the trackside) so I can position vehicles over the magnets.  I had a decent shunting session last night, the first since I relaid the track, and after chasing down another electrical fault (wire had pulled out of a terminal block) everything worked fine with no derailments. I am now trying to summon up the enthusiasm to start ballasting and painting the new track...

Richard

Online kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #436 on: Yesterday at 09:29:39 am »
@belstone
Hi Richard, Looking really good.
It sounds like you are getting total reliability from the couplers? Is that the case?
Having four magnets on one hinge: is that running down the length of the track? that is are the four magnets on the same piece of track for the same uncoupling position, or is the flap/hinge at right angles to the track, being used for different positions on the layout? If they are all on the same bit of track, why do you need to use that many magnets?
Looking forward to seeing the track reballasted.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.
And then at our very own Cleveland Model Railway Club exhibition, Redcar College, Corporation Road, Redcar 4/5 August 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: Yesterday at 11:28:43 am »
@belstone
Hi Richard, Looking really good.
It sounds like you are getting total reliability from the couplers? Is that the case?
Having four magnets on one hinge: is that running down the length of the track? that is are the four magnets on the same piece of track for the same uncoupling position, or is the flap/hinge at right angles to the track, being used for different positions on the layout? If they are all on the same bit of track, why do you need to use that many magnets?
Looking forward to seeing the track reballasted.
Cheers
Kirky

Reliability on the couplers is as close to 100% as I think it will ever be, given their small size and all the various factors affecting their operation.  I would happily take the layout to an exhibition now.  The hinge is at right angles to the track, where there are four roads close together (through, loop. bay platform and goods siding): in effect I have four uncouplers powered by a single servo which is nice and economical.  The uncoupler at the "country" end covers two roads, through and loop.

Richard

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #438 on: Yesterday at 06:04:24 pm »
Ah, thanks Richard, I hadnt realised it was four magnets for four roads. Makes sense now, and very economic too.
Great work.
Think it would be great to see at an exhibition soon. I wonder if I can persuade you and our exhibition manager to do CMRC (Redcar) next year?
cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

And then at our very own Cleveland Model Railway Club exhibition, Redcar College, Corporation Road, Redcar 4/5 August 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #439 on: Yesterday at 10:53:50 pm »
Ah, thanks Richard, I hadnt realised it was four magnets for four roads. Makes sense now, and very economic too.
Great work.
Think it would be great to see at an exhibition soon. I wonder if I can persuade you and our exhibition manager to do CMRC (Redcar) next year?
cheers
Kirky

I like the idea of showing it in the North-East where it belongs.  Will probably try a couple of local shows first and see how I get on, but if Redcar has space for a standard 6 x 2 table in a corner somewhere I might be persuaded.  At the moment I'm trying to work out how I can get up to Railex NE at the end of the month, lots there I want to see.  Including Northallerton of course.

Richard

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #440 on: Today at 05:45:40 pm »
Great work.
cheers
Kirky

I like the idea of showing it in the North-East where it belongs.  Will probably try a couple of local shows first and see how I get on, but if Redcar has space for a standard 6 x 2 table in a corner somewhere I might be persuaded.  At the moment I'm trying to work out how I can get up to Railex NE at the end of the month, lots there I want to see.  Including Northallerton of course.

Richard
It would be great news if could come next year. For pencilling purposes we are always the first weekend in August. I will talk to our exhibition manager tomorrow!
If you get to Railex, please do come and say hello.

Kirky
I

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here