!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Recent new Farish steam  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Recent new Farish steam
« on: May 11, 2017, 01:13:46 pm »
Are there any recent Farish steamers that have the same motor as the N class and simiilar chassis. I'm contemplating hacking an N class into a U and need a set of approx 6' drivers. the intention being to drop the N class wheels and motion, swap the motion onto the 6' drivers and refit then do a couple of hacks to the body, e.g. add splashers and maybe adjust the buffer beam height. If there does happen to be a loco with a 2-6-0 chassis and 6' drivers then that could be a straight chassis swap which would be even better.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Recent new Farish steam
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:55:40 pm »
If there does happen to be a loco with a 2-6-0 chassis and 6' drivers then that could be a straight chassis swap which would be even better.

The only 2-6-0 chassis I'm aware of are the Farish 4MT (5ft 3in drivers) and the Farish Ivatt 2MT (5ft 0in drivers)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 04:02:01 pm »
The only 2-6-0 chassis I'm aware of are the Farish 4MT (5ft 3in drivers) and the Farish Ivatt 2MT (5ft 0in drivers)

4MT is tender drive, not coreless loco drive like the N. The wheels are therefore not easily interchangable between the two.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 04:46:50 pm »
I've got a Dapol B1 chassis that has 6' drivers and tender drive to loco wheels, not yet taken any keeper plates off but holding the wheels up against those on the N the wheelbase is the same, just have to hope that the cog on the B1 chassis mates or can be "adjusted" ::) to mate with the Farish motor worm.

Maybe my motto should be "Nil Fixit seducem"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:48:22 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 04:56:49 pm »
Removing the keeper plate won't allow removal of the Dapol wheels - they all need to come off their axles to get them out of the chassis block.

HTH,
Alan

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 06:53:54 pm »
If they have squared axle ends that wouldn't be so bad, no quartering problem, however my luck never runs that far.

How about the Farish B1?
Cheers MIKE

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 06:56:14 pm »
How about the Farish B1?

Tender drive, different style axles, so won't fit a coreless drive chassis.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 07:41:37 pm »
The 4MT tender locomotive has a coupled wheelbase of 7'6 by 7'9 which is pretty close for a U class. It is also of the same (tender drive era) as the LMS Black Five which has 6' wheels and the Farish B1 with 6'2 wheels (actually scaled out at 5'10) which would be compatible with the 4MT chassis. Valve gear wouldn't be quite right though...

For the N class chassis, Fairburn tank locomotive has 5'8 drivers. Not quite 6' but would keep things consistent with the N class which has under scale drivers anyway. However you're losing the benefit of traction tires going down this route. The A2 has 6'2 drivers but is a tender driven model so you'd have to put a gear on the centre axle - same issue with traction tyres. However, word of warning, the valve gear is quite fragile and doesn't like being pushed about too much!

Another alternative is the Kato C11. The wheelbase isn't quite right (but is correct from the cylinders to the rear wheelset) and the wheels are nearer 5'3. However, they do seem to use a similar bearing to current Farish split frame locos but a much larger gear... They can be picked up quite cheaply though. Maybe strip one down and use a Union Mills tender drive? This was going to be my initial investigation point for the U classes earlier incarnation of a River class but I might have a look at a 3MT with Black Five or B1 wheels instead.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 10:32:26 pm »
If all else fails I can remove the motor and fit a UM drive in the tender. I'm already using a Farish B1 chassis under a BHE N15 body, slightly hacked to make it an H15, not sure if to retain the drive from tender or to use a UM drive, depends if the B1 tender fits the BHE N15 tender with enough room to add a spare pair of wheels.

Mix 'n Match time!
Cheers MIKE

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 04:50:07 pm »
Just had the keeper plate off, decided to abort  the idea, looks like a split frame chassis among other things, so it's either a paint job into Maunsell olive or flog it, I'll check shed allocations for 1930s first though.
Cheers MIKE

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 05:01:58 pm »
Well a U class hack is under way, Steve (Atso) has done a swap of bits and hacking is under way, a Farish Scot tender has been hacked to fit the N class tender body, I've yet to make up my mind on which of 2 chassis I have, (I've got two N bodies so maybe a U and  U1) A Dapol B1 chassis has been butchered to fit an N body which itself has had a considerable amount of plastic removed from the footplate, the chassis now fits and runs free, the other chassis is a Minitrix 2077 (another 4-6-0).

I'm now stuck for Cylinders and valve gear, the cylinders from the 4-6-0 chassis sit way to far forward and the piston rod is way too long; I've emailed BR lines to se if the N class gear is available. The 4MT gear would fit if there was some way of anchoring the expansion link/eccentric arm, The N has a slot in the footplate, the 4MT has a bit sticking out from the chassis, I've not got any other 2-6-0 gear. Just have to keep my eyes open for any suitable spares or repair on Ebay.
Cheers MIKE

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything