!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH  (Read 18454 times)

Offline Portpatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
Re: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH
« Reply #300 on: November 02, 2018, 11:36:53 am »
Yes it would.  But I have been in it for some years and regularly use the Forum group there as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:38:11 am by Portpatrick »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #301 on: November 02, 2018, 12:38:56 pm »
Yes it would.  But I have been in it for some years and regularly use the Forum group there as well.

I've avoided joining this Facebook thing for years, and I think I may continue?

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #302 on: November 02, 2018, 01:10:48 pm »
I avoid it like the plague, and heard it called a few different ways,like farcebook and a few others not repeatable on a family forum.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: November 02, 2018, 06:03:15 pm »
I avoid it like the plague, and heard it called a few different ways,like farcebook and a few others not repeatable on a family forum.

I just don't see the point of it

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #304 on: November 02, 2018, 06:09:20 pm »
Well my Princess is nearly lined, so is a jubilee and the Prince of Wales tank too, and I am getting to the point were I will never want to line a locomotive again, EVER EVER EVER  :worried: :worried:

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #305 on: November 03, 2018, 12:17:15 pm »
The purpose of Facebook is to allow the CIA to keep tabs on everyone who's on it.

Offline Portpatrick

• Awards
« Reply #306 on: November 03, 2018, 12:44:25 pm »
If the CIA wants to spy on me more fool them.  I will continue to use both  the main  Forum and it's Facebook page.  As well as the pages of groups I have found helpful.  Every one to his own.  Incidentally  Paul if the FB Essential Tremor group does not appeal try googling the site of the National Tremor Foundation.  No  necessity to use their FB facility.  I tOO do not try lining locoso.   Even transfers on coach kits give me grief

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #307 on: November 03, 2018, 07:48:36 pm »
Well this lining thing never seems to end, perhaps if I was a BR modeller and just bought things of the shelf to plonk on the layout would be a lot easier.

The Prince of Wales tank is pretty much finished when it come to the lining now I have quite a bit of detailing work to add and then I relay must get to work on the chassis, especially the trailing wheels.

When she has her number and branding applied a bit of weathering will hide the worst of it, this one has been a bit of an effort as shanking hands has made straight lines impossible and I have lost count at the amount of paintbrushes I have destroyed in anger  :censored:

I must admit I like big tank engines and this is the first 4-6-2T in the fleet and I think she may end up as the sole member with this wheel arrangement.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:51:11 pm by paulprice »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #308 on: November 03, 2018, 08:00:27 pm »
The next locomotive to get a little attention was the Princess which is becoming a bit of a monster build. Thankfully I have pretty much finished up the lining, thankfully when she is finally complete she will have a coat of weathering to make her look like a working engine (and it will hide the rough bits in the lining).

What I will have to do is figure out which prototype I will number her as, I have always liked the name "Princess Arthur" hint hint.

Once I add the missing lining, I'm not telling you from where, and tidied up the crimson in certain areas, I will concentrate on her chassis and the leading and trailing wheels. Thanks to some good advice from the chaps on here I have a couple of options so eventually she will enter revenue earning service.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:04:01 pm by paulprice »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #309 on: November 03, 2018, 08:10:57 pm »
The poor Jubilee I recently rescued, and decided to repaint into a decent LMS livery is nearly but not quite there, I still have a little work to do on the cylinders and lower cab area and then I can get on with the detailing. My shade of crimson is a little lighter than the standard Farish version, but I can live with that, if only my lining was half as good.

What I need to do is order some LMS transfers so I can finally get her ready for a little grime, but the problem is what identity to give her?

The question is was it worth rescuing her for 40, and being the 10th example in the fleet is this enough?

Well maybe one more........
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:15:07 pm by paulprice »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #310 on: November 03, 2018, 08:33:17 pm »
The Workbench of Doom must be truly cursed, as soon as a project nears completion another one is ready to take its place. One of the jobs that has been waiting since the Wigan exhibition last year is my Stanier Mogul.

I had attached her at the head of a local passenger train, with the intention of testing her out as she had not long been completed. She left the storage yard smoothly and worked into the station to a controlled stop. I must have been not the only one impressed with this as the moment she stopped she was hoisted off the layout by a person old enough to know better. When I asked what the hell he was doing I got the reply "its only a  :censored: :censored: toy train" and then it was slammed back onto the layout, and then the animals mother gave responded with a language you would certainly not expect to her from a lady (and describing her as a lady if me being  very, very polite). I need to refit the rear buffers, redo the mounts for the body to the chassis, and then sort out some badly twisted and squashed valve gear. Then at some point I will have to look the carriage  that was directly behind her as it took a lot of the impact.

Another project getting some consideration is what to do with this Evil bay refugee, I had thought of using the chassis to go under a round topped firebox G2, but if I did this would the incorrect wheels get to me? Or do I keep her as is just re-number and brand here as an LMS example, but that would mean I have 5 x 8F's

I suppose an alternative would be to see if I could get a Union Mills chassis and tender, but how easy would this be and more importantly how expensive?

The other project in waiting will involve making use of this chassis, I'm not saying what loco I'm thinking about in case I never build it, but think of the L&Y

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:39:34 pm by paulprice »

Offline Portpatrick

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: November 04, 2018, 08:34:07 am »
You are doing well Paul.  I could not get anowhere near that quality.   My  own Princess remains in  unlined BR green.  Without getting it out from the stock boX I cannot recall what I did about the trailing bogie.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #312 on: November 04, 2018, 09:41:52 am »
You are doing well Paul.  I could not get anowhere near that quality.   My  own Princess remains in  unlined BR green.  Without getting it out from the stock boX I cannot recall what I did about the trailing bogie.

Thanks, Im sort of slowly and I mean slowly working on a trailing bogie which hopefully will be a lot better than the thing I found in the spares box, which I think is from a 009 kit I sort of remember building years ago.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #313 on: November 12, 2018, 09:34:00 pm »
Is it just me, or sometimes do you seem to take a step forwards and then several steps back?

Offline Portpatrick

• Awards
« Reply #314 on: November 12, 2018, 09:42:37 pm »
In a wotd- "no"

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00