!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Boxall Coal Yard  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Moores-ee

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Boxall Coal Yard
« on: April 18, 2017, 11:43:52 pm »
The original idea behind this layout was a simple track piece for testing and programming DCC locomotives, it quickly evolved into a inglenook style format with a second lane for stabling stock.  the aim was simple; have a small diorama type affair that I could attempt some scenic techniques and put under the bed when not in use.

The original board was two layers of card with some short lengths of wood to keep it rigid.

I added an extra lane and some other bits an pieces and was even considering buildings, the yard was now getting paved over, the second lane had been altered slightly and now included an inspection pit. But my dilemma was the buildings, just placing the board under the bed may not be the wisest of ideas.

I had a few box files that I'd taped together for a project in the past, I had the light bulb moment why not remove the wood off the base and simply glue the board into a box file?

Offline Moores-ee

• Awards
Re: Boxall Coal Yard
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:52:10 pm »
Added paving to the coal yard.  The office is a kestral kit I've had for years and the coal staithes are an Ancorton kit.

Offline Moores-ee

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:00:06 am »
Showing the whole box file with track, I've points on order to bring the two sidings together.

Offline Moores-ee

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:42:23 am »
Track is now ballasted and the exiting bridge portal added.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:33:00 pm by Dave Angel »

Offline Moores-ee

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 12:13:16 pm »
 :veryangry:  :sorrysign:
So that went well......

I'll try again.

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Conveyor of Gibberish
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 12:31:57 pm »
@Moores-ee hiya, in order to save using up the whole gallery  :o, when you upload a picture if it is in the wrong direction, open the gallery, click on "EDIT" on the picture and use the rotate box at the bottom under the picture of the window that opens please enter the number of degrees to rotate the pic by and hey presto the system will do the rest for you.  Save it and job done... You can also use your own gallery as opposed to the Random one if you like..

I've removed all your upside down loading's.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:35:53 pm by Dave Angel »

Offline Moores-ee

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 12:45:45 pm »
Hi Dave
Thanks for the advise, the problem is due to the EXIF information on my camera, so the picture is taken one way but the info in the file says otherwise.  Taken from a mobile phone at that angle.  I will only post images after I've processed them in future, I was going to remove the excess images after work as there is only so much you can cram in time wise! So thanks, you've saved me a job.

Cheers
Colin

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:49:40 pm »
Nice work Moores-ee. :thumbsup: I find these Box File layouts quite amazing.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Conveyor of Gibberish
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 12:51:28 pm »
@Moores-ee  hi Colin, thats why we have the rotate box, so theres no need to process them first, you just rotate them to the correct angles on the forum.

I've made a sticky guide:-
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=37316.msg442601;topicseen#msg442601

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:53:47 pm by Only Me »

Online Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 03:04:00 pm »
Really neat.

Offline Moores-ee

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 12:13:23 am »
I ordered medium points from Hattons. They arrived today so they are now fitted.  I've painted some track and laid some more ballast.

Online Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 08:23:37 am »
I'm having issues with building up ground level.  I'm working very much to a budget so I have used Mounting Board sheets from The Works which are cheap but good quality.  I was either going to have ground level far to far below rail level with code 80 or slightly above which means that I have had to trim the card away from the rail slightly leaving a gap otherwise it lifts wheels clear of the track - ok with wagons but with locos it's not on.  I think I'm going to have to feed some filler material into the gap to make it loo more realistic and also do some ballasting where the raised ground level is at some points.  I also found that the steps on one of my locos fouled on the raised ground.  Neat (and more costly solution) would have been 2 layers of mounting board covered in embossed polystyrene sheet.  I think your design seems to avoid this. 

Offline Moores-ee

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 09:58:33 am »
Hi Jeremy
thanks for the feedback.
I use mounting card and Metcalf cobble and paving card, the bottom of the box is built up with 2 layers of mounting card as a laminate and I had to do that over a couple of nights with the larger areas,as I weighed the card down as the PVA dried.  The Yard is built up with a layer of mounting card butted up to the sleepers, then another layer which went as far as the fasteners/feet. The final printed layer was against the track, which sits barely noticeably above the card.
Inside the rails is a single layer of mounting card with the printed card above it.
I have done this once before with plasticard and embossed sheet but to be honest I prefer working with card.

You could use cereal box card as the top layer/s it is a thinner than the metcalf card but it could be painted afterwards.

Cheers
Colin

Online Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 11:33:28 am »
Thanks for that.  That's where I went wrong.  Doing a dry run it all seemed fine until glue was applied and the top layer is a bit too thick now it has settled.  I can fill the gap with some filler and clean the rails off for the main area but I'm still working out what to do around the points.  I will ballast with very, very fine sand and then see what I can do when i start to build up the rest of the landscape.  I've put in some Peco platform edging ready for the tiny one/two coach station and am going to build u that area with card too - linking it to the wharf.  The wharf will be fenced and gated off from the rest of the scenic area eventually too.

Offline Biggy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25735
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 11:55:11 am »
Hi Colin
Really interesting layout. I love these small ones.
Also good inf re raising the yard area level with the track I have a dock areaI want to do the same with so will try your suggestion  :thankyousign:
Not sure its supposed to do that

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here