!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Canal Wharf  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Canal Wharf
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 11:04:18 am »
Ballast now toned down with some acrylic paint as had been suggested at the clubnight on Tuesday.  Thanks to Nick Tilston and Rodney Hodge for their advice.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2017, 08:43:34 pm »
More progress on the canal wharf layout.  The ballast has been toned down and trimmed so that the track works electrically.  The scenic items in the wharf area have been fixed down with some extra items and scatter.  I have also started to put some simple low relief in on the back scene behind the station.  The houses are an old Builder Plus corner terrace kit that has been straightened out and a new roof of Scalescenes slate paper added. 

The 'flat roofed' building was constructed at the request of Charlotte who wanted a cafe. It is a main layer of mounting board covered in Scalescenes brick paper and embellished a bit.  The signs, menu and news boards are made up on Word in font sizes 1 and 2.  The menu for the cafe offers tea at 3d a cup etc.  The news headlines are real from 15th June 1962 - the Daily Telegraph runs news of an OAS Truce in Algeria and the Daily Mail headlines the fact that Brazil have just won the World Cup again.

The ground surface needs working up with scenic material and a better roadway needs to be painted.  I am slo designing a canal bridge for the end of the wharf - possibly with a ramp up to the road for horses but not vehicles.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2017, 08:42:48 am »
Looking good.
That must be really tiny font on those headlines on the news stands!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2017, 08:45:33 am »
News stands are font size 2 in a handwriting script, the menu on the cafe is the same font but in size 1.  It's actually unreadable - I think - but looks like real words whereas an odd line had drawn wouldn't look right.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 10:48:51 am »
Looking really good Jeremy  :thankyousign:

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2017, 09:29:54 pm »
I've made some scenic progress around the wharf and station area.  I'm reasonably happy with the ballasting and colour and have added texture.  The station is now 'closed to passenger traffic' and nature is starting to take over. 

The back scene is being developed using an old Builder Plus kit and a Bilteezi kit, both modified with a flat roofed building set back being totally scratch built to represent a more modern building constructed to replace a bombed out building from WW2.  Using brick paper and card I have walled in the wharf and constructed a low relief canal bridge.  The wharf is gated using a modified front from a Peco engine shed.  After taking these photos I have started to construct a corrugated iron fence to complete fencing in the wharf.

I have also added some more detail including a telephone box (no mobiles in 1962), some more barrels and packing cases in the wharf and I have added a couple of vehicles.  I have some sheep for Charlotte to add to the grassy area opposite the station and will need to add further fencing before I can add trees and bushes.

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 10:00:51 am »
 :greatpicturessign:
This is getting better and better, Jeremy. Shows how much you can do in a limited space. I really like your canal and the platform. Just brilliant.
Thanks for sharing.

Michael

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 10:08:15 am »
Looking great! Would love to see some water level pics.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 10:15:23 am »
Probably this will be the last update for a while as I shall be moving house in the next few weeks and will be packing the layout away.  It has also reached the point where I am possibly going to need to spend a bit of cash to develop it further.  It has been great fun building it so far and I have got lots of new ideas for the future.  Thank you everyone who has commented and made suggestions.

This is the current development of a corrugated iron fence.  It isn't built in the way i would have liked (i.e. corrugated plastic sheet) but in the interests of economy I got some Scalescenes Old Corrugated Iron wrapped over another pice of 80 gsm paper.  The structure is made from matchsticks including the front props to make it look like it might fall over.  The main structure is drilled into the ground so it doesn't actually need the props - they are for effect.  I also printed out a tiny 'Keep Out' sign on the computer.  I have some sheep to add to the hillside but really need some line side fencing.  I need to populate it and add perhaps another vehicle and cycles but this will have to wait.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 10:34:05 am »
Thank you!

Good luck with the move.  :thumbsup: :beers:

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 10:36:07 am »
For Bealman, some water level shots.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 10:45:23 am »
Looks great!

Like the coal staithes too. :thumbsup:

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 10:53:45 am »
Coal bins are Ratio.  Water level is too low - more like 00 scale level - if I make another canal wharf I will take that into consideration.

Offline GroupC

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 11:31:41 am »
I like the low water level as it looks like someone's pulled out the plug. Just add a shopping trolley / old tyre onto the water and you'll complete the look! The only thing then would be that the boat would look as if it was sitting too low. Problems, problems.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2017, 11:36:08 am »
My story is similar to that.  It is set on 15th June 1962, British Transport Commission were not really looking after the canals terribly well (see the weed at the end of the wharf) and there is a leak somewhere.  To unload the narrow boat they need to open a sluice and raise the water level.  I was hoping to find some sort of mechanical unloading device.  I do have a Ratio yard crane partly made up but a predecessor to the ubiquitous JCB is really needed too.

By the way, the newspaper headlines outside the newsagents are based on the quoted date.  Not that I'm picky - I just googled 'events in 1962' and picked an interesting date.

Must put some undergrowth in and one of my friends has suggested inserting bristles into the weed to resemble rushes.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything