!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Canal Wharf  (Read 4149 times)

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Canal Wharf
« on: April 05, 2017, 11:17:41 am »
Finally got round to starting a new project.  Whilst the main project isn't a box file layout, the first stage of the project definitely is.  Having seen Waterstock at the West Midlands N Gauge Club my 9 year old daughter wants to build something NOW.  Once I have moved house the main project can be started and will appear in the main part of Layout Construction.  In the meantime we are building a canal wharf and fiddle yard in a set of four box files.

I have joined four box files together and fixed them to two strips of timber for additional support.  The files are lined in mounting board bought from The Works and the baseboard surface will be foam board with a section cut away for the actual canal basin.  Track will be Peco Setrack.  From a previous project i have a lot of electrical gear and plenty of rolling stock.

Charlotte, my daughter, is really interested in the scenic side of things so once the main skeleton is in place she can get her teeth into some of the scenery with me.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Canal Wharf
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 02:49:44 pm »
Hi Jeremy, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I look forward to seeing yourCharlotte's layout developing :D
(Just a shame about the set track points)

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:53:46 pm »
It's a case of getting what I want into the space available.  The next stage of the project is a city terminus based around Cyril Freezer's 'Minories' plan and that will use at least medium radius if not large radius as i want to make it look reasonably realistic with 4 and 5 coach trains.  I like big layouts and long trains (I had 11 behind my locos at Warley MRC last night on Broadwater Junction).

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 02:57:30 pm »
It's a case of getting what I want into the space available.

That's the problem with small space layouts - many folks plump for the smallest points and don't necessarily know about the drawbacks. You sound like a well seasoned modeller so I'll say no more about them.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 03:09:20 pm »
I built a simple test track with Setrack and know what of my locos and stock go well and which cause problems.  Chris Morris has used Setrack on his Ridgacre Branch to good effect  and as long as you keep smooth curves rather than have sharp corners at the end of a square shape they don't look too bad.  This is going to be a shunting layout with lots of scenic effects (hopefully) and is also a bit of fun for Charlotte where she can learn about actually 'driving' trains, shunting and modelling techniques.   I've just come back from getting another pice of mounting board to finish the baseboard structure and with a bit of luck the rest of the track will come tomorrow in the post.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 03:40:59 pm »
The additional track has arrived and the foam board has been laid although a little fettling needs to be done.  The two photos show how I have mocked up the track layout with a loco and some wagons for effect.  I need to consider the electrics before the track is properly laid, wired and fixed down.  The scenic divide is marked by the 'pink' piece on the lids which will be further trimmed and have a section cut out to permit trains to run through.

The small cut away area at one end at the front is where the canal wharf will be.  I intend raising the ground to track level on part of this area using a double thickness of mounting board which will also make the canal side a little taller.

The box files are about 2cm narrower than I would have liked to get a bit more scenery in.  For that reason I may not use the Ratio goods shed which is partially constructed (I built that to show Charlotte the rudiments of plastic kit construction).

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 03:42:01 pm »
I must modify the pictures so that they show up vertically on the post.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 04:15:32 pm »
Praise be. At my age once I'm laid on my side it's a helluva job to get up again :ouch:

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 04:32:47 pm »
I have a cunning plan with the photos.  I'll need to rotate them for Facebook postings.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 03:43:45 pm »
This is the first stage of colouring up the canal.  I'm going to work on this over a bit of time while I sort out the track and electrics.  Currently it is coloured up with some of Charlotte's paints and a little Humbrol acrylic black.  I've also been working in a little green and grey and some felt tip pen.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 02:24:11 pm »
  We're on to the next stage.  The base is solid and the track has been set up but not fixed down.  I've soldered in the power feeds but they are currently above the board and wired into a chocolate block connector to link to the Hornby controller I normally use on my test track.  When I've finally decided how far back the track is going to go I will fix it down and run the wires under the board to the fiddle yard end.

Electrically I've put in a break at the right hand crossover from the loop and wired it as two separate sections.  As I only intend running one loco on the layout at a time and any spare loco will be in the fiddle yard isolated by the point I have actually not bothered with any section switches and both sections are live all the time.  Once wired I will fit the scenic break and start on the scenic side of things.

Last time I uploaded a photo from my phone it turned itself round by 90 degrees.  For some reason it hasn't this time.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 02:28:28 pm »
Hope that is more easy on everyones necks.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 11:58:28 am »
Latest progress on my canal wharf layout.  All track is fixed down and wired, the scenic break is in place and I am building up the ground level with mounting board at the wharf end.  I thought I would only need 2 layers of mounting board but I actually need 3 so I'm using scraps to make up the 2 layers.  I will buy a fresh sheet of board and use an A4 paper template to cut it to fit in around the rails.  It should come up to rail level or thereabouts.

I intend to use filler to 'ballast' this section and add some more mounting board as infill where I need crossings.  It will be painted a general grey colour prior to detailing.  Rails should be painted with Humbrol rust and the remainder of the scenic section will be ballasted with chinchilla sand.

Scenically i am going to work from the wharf end to the break, sorting the scenery bit by bit.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 03:02:18 pm »
Jinty shunting the wharf.  Top layer of wharf has been laid, it is a fraction higher than the rail height which is a nuisance.  It has been given a couple of coats of base colour.  The narrow boat is being built and painted and a small station platform is about to reinstalled by the run around loop.

Using a Mac seems to cause problems trying to edit pictures.  Must investigate.

Offline Moores-ee

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 12:28:16 am »
Hi. looks brilliant! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Colin

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything