!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New BR/NSE Layout 8'6" x 2'2"  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Dave Z

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
New BR/NSE Layout 8'6" x 2'2"
« on: March 27, 2017, 08:52:16 pm »
So, having been kicked out of my former hobby room I have been forced to start again with a smaller layout.  Usually I drag out the design and initial build stage for weeks on end.  This time I decided to not do that and crack on, full steam ahead. 

For the first time I decided to pay someone else for the baseboard in an effort to save a weekend of building and visiting the DIY centre.  The baseboard arrived a few days after ordering and was very well built. 

I set myself an ambitious target of getting trains running over the weekend.  Saturday was spent laying the cork, fitting some skirting board as a fascia (and barrier to any falling trains) and laying a handful of track.  Next day it was 8 hours of solid track laying but I got it all done, nearly.  I didn't quite have enough to finish the fiddle yard storage sidings but another 2-3 lengths of flexitrack will do it.  Had to give up on my original goal but I'm confident the wiring will be done next Saturday and trains will finally be running.

A few pics of the progress;

The original plan.  Only change I made was the left-most point in the loco shed area from RH to LH as my Scenecraft loco shed was in the way.

Incomplete fiddle yard.  Will eventually be 5 sidings next to the 2 running lines.

Loco depot and former goods sidings.

Looking back at what will become the station area.

New layout means new era for me.  All my present-day stock has been sold and the funds reinvested in a fair amount of new stock in NSE and various other BR liveries.  Can't wait until the weekend now to get them all unboxed and running.

Watch this space...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:56:15 pm by Dave Z »

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: New BR/NSE Layout 8'6" x 2'2"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:08:28 pm »
The layout is coming along well.  I'm especially interested as it's going to have NSE rolling stock.  :) :thumbsup:

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:24:19 am »
There's nothing like schmoozing 'the Boss' ;) :D

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 12:10:50 pm »
Nice compact looking layout, look forward to seeing it progress

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:03:12 pm »
Looks good! A bit of PRS creeping in there but given the space and interesting layout I think it actually adds a bit of uniformity  :thumbsup:

Offline Dave Z

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:16:57 pm »
Looks good! A bit of PRS creeping in there but given the space and interesting layout I think it actually adds a bit of uniformity  :thumbsup:
Must admit I'm not familiar with the term PRS but from a cursory search something to do with how straight and square it is?  I had the same concerns but it was a necessary compromise really for space - the layout is right by the doorway as you walk in so even an extra inch or 2 deep would mean catching the door or bumping it yourself as you walk by.  Hopefully the more curvy sidings will offset it!

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:59:23 pm »
Must admit I'm not familiar with the term PRS but from a cursory search something to do with how straight and square it is?  I had the same concerns but it was a necessary compromise really for space - the layout is right by the doorway as you walk in so even an extra inch or 2 deep would mean catching the door or bumping it yourself as you walk by.  Hopefully the more curvy sidings will offset it!

Yes indeed, PRS = parallel rail syndrome where the rails are all parallel to the board. BUT as I say, I quite like it here, the interest in the middle offsets the straightness of the outside edges, looks lovely!

Offline Dave Z

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 08:32:32 pm »
Another day of work and we finally have movement on the tracks.  Although not for my most prized loco.  Sadly my NSE Class 47 from the Capital Connection pack shows no sign of life beyond directional lighting.  Have tried 3 different chips to no avail.  Hopefully Hattons can sort it quickly.  Anyway, on with the photos;

‘Great Eastern’ stranded with engine trouble.

The fiddle yard, lightly populated for now.  From left to right we have 2 nuclear flasks and 3 grey and blue mk3 Intercity coaches, 3 Regional Railways mk1 coaches awaiting delivery of a Class 37 in Regional Railways livery, 3 NSE mk1 coaches which would’ve made up the rake for my Capital Connection train and 4 ‘Cargowaggons’.

A Scotrail Class 47 passes through the unnamed station with an Intercity sleeper service.

A DRS 37 sits in the loco shed awaiting it’s next job.  Small amount of rule 1 here as I think DRS did overlap with BR pre-privatisation but maybe not in that livery. 

Larger view of the loco depot area.  I’ve used WS JustPlug lighting system for the shed and yard lighting (and more to be installed).  It’s a really great plug and play system for people like me who don’t get on with electrickery.

Another wider overview.  You can see the signal box also lit up inside.

Downham Market signal box.  A nice little model.

A dilapidated works train sits in the old goods sidings awaiting delivery of a second RTC coach and a heavily weather large logo 37 to haul it.

A solitary Regional Railways 153 takes a break in the bay platform.  It won’t be going anywhere anytime soon as it was inconveniently built without an engine.  A new 156 Sprinter unit should be along shortly which it can tag on to.

NSE Class 47 ‘Haymarket’ thunders through the station with it’s rake of mk2 coaches.  The boxes in the background represent where the back scene will eventually reside to conceal the fiddle yard.

So, fairly productive day but am really annoyed with the Capital Connection set.  Was really looking forward to running 2 decent length NSE trains.  Other than that has been ok.  Doing the wiring was a whole lot easier with the layout on it’s side at a comfortable height.  The Woodland Scenics lighting set was really worth the money to me.  I’ve always wanted lighting but never felt confident with how to do it.  I have an expansion hub and 2 normal hubs installed under the baseboards which should provide enough sockets for all the lighting I need.  Each socket has a dimmer switch so I can tune the lighting individually.  There is also a master switch behind the loco shed to turn it all on/off.

Hopefully more to come soon…

Offline Nik96

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 10:04:59 am »
Have you coated your cork base in anything to give it that shine?
4 Layouts in, I've never got further than ballasting track. 5th time lucky?

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 10:08:38 am »
Looks great!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 10:54:21 am »
Thanks, Dave.
You've convinced me to go with WS lighting as I'm hopeless with electrickery.
I just need to decide which body part I can go without to afford it :worried:

Offline Dave Z

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 09:14:46 pm »
Have you coated your cork base in anything to give it that shine?
Nope, they're sealed cork tiles from Wickes. £10 for 9 12"x12" squares.

Thanks, Dave.
You've convinced me to go with WS lighting as I'm hopeless with electrickery.
I just need to decide which body part I can go without to afford it :worried:
They are pricey but worth it. 2 minute job to install any new lights now I have the hubs all set up underneath.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 10:29:50 pm »
I have always been a great fan of lights (and other animated gimmicks) on layouts.

This is going to be a corker of a layout! (Pun intended)  :thumbsup:

Offline Dave Z

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 11:12:58 am »
I have always been a great fan of lights (and other animated gimmicks) on layouts.

This is going to be a corker of a layout! (Pun intended)  :thumbsup:
Thanks. 

If you like animated gimmicks you must go to Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg.  I can easily lose 6 odd hours in there.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 11:37:10 am »
I have indeed been there, documented on this forum. Totally awesome!  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here