Dapol Class 56 (56 001 to 56 030, built by Electroputere, Romania)

Started by RailGooner, March 12, 2017, 01:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

I know that 135 were built in three batches. I don't know if there were/are any external differences between the three batches. If there were/are any such differences, how accurately have Dapol modelled them?

I'm particularly interested in the accuracy of those models based on prototypes 56 001 to 56 030, built by Electroputere, Romania.

Bob G

Hello

If I remember correctly (and as I model up to mid-1980s, the 56 is at the very tail end of my modelling eras, so I'm likely to run out of knowledge after the first batch) the second and third batches were UK built and looked similar. The first batch was different and both have been modelled accurately by Dapol.

Batch 1 has the half-grid, half solid face, and full round buffers.
Batch 2 has the full grid face, and oval buffers.

The rest of the bodywork is identical in both modelled batches.

I have blue versions of each, and the blue on 56006 is the early blue Dapol used to do, which had a green tinge in it. 56070 is more like Bachfar blue.

HTH
Bob

Bob G

red_death

Much more complicated I'm afraid chaps and chapesses!

Three types of buffer cowling: full, partial and none.

Three types of headlight - grommeted, round and square.

Two types of marker light: recessed or flush.

Two types of cab window: separate or joined.

Two types of cab: early or late (not the same shape - one is more rounded).

Two types of cab door handrails: unequal or equal.

001-30 are all Romania built and fortunately they are all alike (or at least as built). Starts to get much more complicated with the Doncaster or Crewe builds. 31-55 in particular are the most varied.

Then of course repairs or changes were made on one-off basis throughout their life.  Best thing is to look at a picture of the one you want in the livery and time period you want.

From what i remember Dapol's model is most accurate for a Romanian built 56 (whichever version they did first Romanian or Doncaster - I honestly can't remember!).

Cheers, Mike

Bob G

Quote from: red_death on March 12, 2017, 03:13:01 PM

From what i remember Dapol's model is most accurate for a Romanian built 56 (whichever version they did first Romanian or Doncaster - I honestly can't remember!).

Cheers, Mike

They did Romanian first, so that's the most accurate. Told you I stopped being interested in diesels around 1980 :)

RailGooner

Thank you to all contributors, for sharing your time and knowledge.

I hope to model 56312 'Jeremiah Dixon' in DCR livery circa 2014. The prototype was built as 56003, so I knew it was Romanian built. Now I know with certainty what donor model I need, any of:

• ND-203A
  • ND-203B
  • ND-203C
  • ND-203D
  • 2D-004-000
  • 2D-004-001
  • 2D-004-002
  • 2D-004-003
  • 2D-004-004
Basically the 1st (circa 2012) and 3rd (c. 2016) batches from Dapol were models of Romanian built prototypes. The 3rd (c. 2014) batch were models of Doncaster built prototypes.
:beers:

Jimbo

Don't forget the MK1 draught proofing around the drivers' desk!......Namely, gaffer tape!  :cold:
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

RailGooner

Thank you @escafeld , for posting the video. Lots of detail for me to drool over. And a free lesson on shunting scrap wagons too. :thumbsup: :beers:

Only played it muted as MBH and I are watching a film (who says men can't multitask!?) and it'd be rude of me to sit here with cans on. :angel:

Ben Line 457

The following website seems to have photos of all 135........so probably a good source of reference.

http://www.class56.co.uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations