!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cotton Abbotts  (Read 2485 times)

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Cotton Abbotts
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 07:00:26 am »
With the DMUs done, I am hopefully through (for the most part) having to deal with Bachmann's six pin decoder. They've been absolute pigs to just set the address. I had to program them in my decoder tester, because they just wouldn't work when in the unpowered car.

I bought five of them in a fit of enthusiasm when I started, a few years ago, and quickly realised they weren't up to much. Fortunately, I have five MUs, so they've all gone into unpowered units.

In the decoder tester, you can hear the motor note changing for each speed step, and although the chip recognises 128 steps, it only actually implements 28, so you increase the speed four or five steps before there's a change in motor sound.
Yes, I bought a set of Bachmann decoders in ignorance when I started with DCC and I think at least some of my problems are decoder based.  I will, eventually, try to replace them with Lenz, but I don't know whether there is replacement for the right-angled decoder in 6417.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 12:54:26 pm »
I don't know whether there is replacement for the right-angled decoder in 6417.
Funnily enough, that’s the only steam loco I possess, and I put the Bachmann decoder in. I’m considering using a Zimo MX622N, which has very long pins, and bending them to fit.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline cjdodd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Owner of Colworth Hill and Billybrook Yard
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 04:37:51 pm »
With the DMUs done, I am hopefully through (for the most part) having to deal with Bachmann's six pin decoder. They've been absolute pigs to just set the address. I had to program them in my decoder tester, because they just wouldn't work when in the unpowered car.

I bought five of them in a fit of enthusiasm when I started, a few years ago, and quickly realised they weren't up to much. Fortunately, I have five MUs, so they've all gone into unpowered units.

In the decoder tester, you can hear the motor note changing for each speed step, and although the chip recognises 128 steps, it only actually implements 28, so you increase the speed four or five steps before there's a change in motor sound.
Yes, I bought a set of Bachmann decoders in ignorance when I started with DCC and I think at least some of my problems are decoder based.  I will, eventually, try to replace them with Lenz, but I don't know whether there is replacement for the right-angled decoder in 6417.

Apparently there are two possible replacements, they are not right angled but they are very short so they fit in the cab without any problem. If you search the forum for right angle decoder you should find the thread on the topic.

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 11:20:34 pm »
A little light relief this evening. I built myself a little rolling road/wheel cleaning station, to be able to investigate a long-standing problem with one of my class 24s.

Ever since it arrived from the bay of E, there has been a problem with the lights not working at one end.

A quick whizz on the rolling road with the top off told me that the volts were all in the right place, so it had to be the contacts. This loco has four wipers at each end to transfer power to the lighting modules in each end of the body, via small solder pads.

After much twiddling with the contacts, it seemed to be a problem on the pad side, and I could see a bit of glue on the bottom edge of the body. After a bit of scraping with a small craft knife, it was clear that there had been excess glue on the pads, and with it now removed the lights all work as their maker intended.

Another positive result!  :thumbsup: :beers:

Now, I really must get on and do some more layout.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2018, 12:08:10 am »
While not strictly speaking layout, this is in the critical path somewhere.

Points will all be DCC controlled, with servos connected to (probably) Digikeijs DR4024 decoders, but there's no way I'm remembering all the addresses, and I'm not having any long-range spaghetti either. I have two modest-sized control panels planned, each of which will house a SignaTrak (ex-CML) DTM30.

These will enable me to operate individual points or complete routes at the push of a button, and provide an indication of the setting of each point. I've mocked them up in Powerpoint, and they look like this:

I'm looking at whether I can get these fascias made up professionally at a reasonable price, before I get the Dremel out.
Tony

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2018, 12:26:58 am »
Very neat and professional looking.  :thumbsup:

Puts mine to shame, that's for sure (mind you, if you saw them you'd realise why)  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2018, 06:28:32 am »
If you use Cobalt servos, you can connect them directly to the DCC bus and you don't need a decoder.  They are directly programable from your controller.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2018, 08:42:02 am »
Much, much neater than my PowerPoint efforts.

I printed mine on 100gsm paper, laminated them and mounted the whole thing on plasticard. It'll be interesting to see how they survive.

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2018, 10:37:25 am »

Puts mine to shame, that's for sure (mind you, if you saw them you'd realise why)  ;)

Thanks to Yet-Another I now feel my recent control panel creation looks more like a Blue Peter creation :-[

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2018, 12:31:57 pm »
If you use Cobalt servos, you can connect them directly to the DCC bus and you don't need a decoder.  They are directly programable from your controller.
I may well use Cobalt IP Digital motors in specific places, but I like the compactness and redundancy of servos - and they’re cheaper to install.
Tony

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2018, 12:35:21 pm »

Thanks to Yet-Another I now feel my recent control panel creation looks more like a Blue Peter creation :-[
Fret ye not, NPN, I may end up DIYing it, and if so, it won’t be that pretty  :no:
Tony

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2018, 08:16:37 am »
Some great looking trackwork, looking forward to seeing how this layout evolves

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2018, 09:38:23 pm »
Well, I'm very excited!

This morning I picked up the Cotton Abbotts control panel blank, and it looks superb:

I've tested the switches for fit, and they do. Unfortunately, I don't have any LEDs with me at the mo, but based on current experience, they'll be a good fit too.

I had this one made first, as it was the cheaper of the two, and I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I'll now get the storage yard one made up, which is the one I actually need for the parts of the layout I'm currently building.

Triffickly exciting!

Sorry NPN.

BTW, the two sets of switches at the bottom, which weren't on my original drawing, will enable me to operate the storage yard in 'simple mode' from just this panel. Each button will select a track in the yard.

The actual storage yard panel will allow control of each point, and separate routes for each entrance & exit, so trains can run out of one track and into another.

I just can't get over how good a job it is, though  :) :) :beers:
Tony

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2018, 10:03:45 pm »
That control panel looks extremely good and professional - can I ask where you 'picked it up' please?  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2018, 10:48:37 pm »
A company called Labelrite in Redditch:

http://www.engraved-labels.co.uk/about.htm

What you see is an accurate copy of the PDF that I sent them (eventually - I had a wrestle with a few CAD packages before giving up and paying them to draw it up).

But it wasn't cheap.

PM me if you want more details,
Tony

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here