!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cotton Abbotts  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Cotton Abbotts
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 08:39:44 pm »

This is the furthest I've got with a model railway project since I was in my teens, so I'm quite chuffed.

And rightly so.

Very impressive.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 02:30:53 pm »
Looks very good indeed.
Keep up the good work.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 08:53:19 pm »
I've finally got to the end of the track laying on this module  :beers:

So here's a couple of pictures of it whole, before I disassemble it to install the servos. If I can get them working, I might get round to wiring all the power feeds...

Just for reference, here's a shot of the end that will be the middle of the storage/fiddle yard, while I was mid-flow:

Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 09:25:12 pm »
 :hellosign: Excellent progress thanks for the update
      regards Derek

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 10:54:26 pm »
Another milestone reached this evening: all of the servos installed and operational on my first module.

From below:

from above:

and where the whole thing fits (hopefully):

I say hopefully, because there's only 50mm clearance between the sub-board and the module top, so there should be a good 3mm clear air between the servos & the top. We shall see, once I've tackled the next big job, which is all the power feeds.

Really not looking forward to this bit.  :worried:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 10:31:26 pm »
Woohoo!!

Having got the points working last week, I moved on to the track, and that didn't go quite so well. Lessons learned, though.

In my enthusiasm, I connected all the track sections up, wired in the frog juicers and plugged in the DCC. What could possibly go wrong?

Obviously, it did take me a little while to find the short... but now I have, and to seems to be behaving. The problem lay in the PCB I've used to secure the rails at the baseboard end. Although I'd cut the copper to isolate each rail, there must have been the odd strand still flapping around, so a more stringent clean has been done, re-cutting some of the gaps, and all is now well, at least as far as a static but powered exhibit is concerned.

When I say 'finished', there are still a few things to do:

- the final section of track at the entrance to the fiddle yard will be laid and connected in conjunction with the track on the adjoining module, as it is on a curve.
- I may need to adjust the 'on' & 'off' positions of some of the points, depending on how I end up setting routes
- one of the servos has a slight 'tick', so I may have to tinker with the settings/physical setup of that one.

And I haven't run a loco on it yet. That might have to wait a while, as I now have other calls on my time over Easter.

It's been a bit of a slog to get this far, and it seems like not very much - one module out of six; but it's actually 30% or so of all the points on the layout, and I've learned a lot in doing it. 

Better start saving up for all the hardware on the next module!
Tony

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 07:08:51 pm »
What a beautifully elegant fiddle yard, love the sweeping sleek curves of the design, maximum usage of available storage space.  :thumbsup:

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 12:30:33 am »
Thank you  :)

This end is to the original design, with the whole thing self-contained. The other end has been redesigned to increase the storage space, and is a bit less elegant. I moved two of the points onto the end module, so complicated the wiring a bit. That's the next one to be done.
Tony

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 09:34:25 am »
To add a few thoughts on the fiddle/storage yard.

I prefer storage yard, as I think its unlikely that I'll be doing much fiddling, once the stock is on the track.

When I originally designed the layout, I decided on a minimum radius of 450mm (18” for those still on analogue), for both aesthetic and operational reasons. For the operational side of things, this means that all the points have a min. radius of 450mm, including the storage yard. It also became apparent that I'd have to use curved points to maximise the storage space, so the final plan evolved. I didn't realise it at the time, but the code 55 curved points also have a min. radius of 450mm.

As in all things, it's the exceptions that prove the rule, and there are two exceptions to my minimum radius rule: the first is the siding at the top left of the plan, inside the main line, so a shade under the minimum - I thought this was acceptable at the time, as it will be low speed rolling stock movements on that section. The second came about with the redesign of the fiddle yard, when I added a third (branch) line from front to back on the right.

This one was a severe compromise, with a min. radius of 300mm for a short length. But it's not adjacent to any points, and it's still above the generally quoted manufacturer's 9” minimum, so for the operational benefit that it brings, I'll run with it.
Tony

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 09:39:57 pm »
Just a quick one to show the modular nature of my DCC setup:

The bigger box houses my pair of PSX breakers, with the power part of the Uhlenbrock Daisy bolted on top. This box has three power outlets and one programming outlet, with power input via a plug/switch on the side.

There is one power outlet for each of the PSXs: one for track, one for points; and an unprotected output, for future use.

The smaller box has a Digitrax UP5 on the top with connections for the rear sockets on each side, along with a socket for a 12V power supply, when required.

Connections to the layout are via Neutrik Speakon connectors, so any module can be connected to any port on the power hub, or directly to the power box, above. In the picture, my test oval is plumbed in directly.
Tony

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 10:51:29 pm »
Time for a quick update.

Not much has happened on the layout over the last month or so, but I have been pressing on with some off-layout developments.

- I've now either fitted, or have in hand to fit, decoders to all locos, barring possibly one class 24 which still needs a bit of fettling, and the 08, which I'll pay someone with more skill than me to do.

- Having switched from a NCE PowerCab to a Uhlenbrock Daisy 2, I bought the PC/USB interface and have loaded new images to the handset for all of my diesels & DMUs - 08, 20, 24, 25, 37, 40, 55, HST, 101 & 108. I'm quite pleased with these, and it certainly adds to the pleasure of operating.

- I've purchased one DTM30 Digital Tower Master for the storage yard control panel, and I'll be using another for the panel for the front of the layout. Hopefully, enough buttons and LEDs are on their way for both.

- I've bought a Digikeijs DR4024 servo decoder as the first step in setting up the other half of the storage yard, and I'll do some evaluation on this before committing to another two, which I'll need for all of the points at the other end.

Finally, just to check that I’m going in the right direction, I’ve just done a test of the infrastructure, which has gone very well. In the video, the layout module is connected by three cables to the hub, which has the 15V power and both DCC busses plugged into it. As you can see from the video, track power & point operation are working OK in this configuration.  :beers:

Tony

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 10:47:32 am »
Video looks impressive, Tony. I don't really understand the technicalities, though, which is a bit of a shame as I keep thinking that I ought to investigate digital control at some (future!) point.
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 12:32:00 am »
Digital is the future, Bruce. The digits shall inherit the Earth.

The trick is to know someone who understands, and get them to set it up for you. That's actually two tricks.

Anyway, my progress along the learning curve progresses in a rusty screeching kind of way.
Tony

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 06:52:29 am »
An impressive amount of storage yard! I following your layout to pick up any tips on DCC - thanks!

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Today at 12:00:25 am »
Phew!

I've just put decoders in my last DMU, a Graham Farish 108. It was a real struggle to get the bodies off, with the cab ends both offering lots of resistance. It turns out that they were both glued in place by what looks like overzealous application of adhesive/solvent on the part of the person attaching the lamp irons - a blob in each corner.

With the DMUs done, I am hopefully through (for the most part) having to deal with Bachmann's six pin decoder. They've been absolute pigs to just set the address. I had to program them in my decoder tester, because they just wouldn't work when in the unpowered car.

I bought five of them in a fit of enthusiasm when I started, a few years ago, and quickly realised they weren't up to much. Fortunately, I have five MUs, so they've all gone into unpowered units.

In the decoder tester, you can hear the motor note changing for each speed step, and although the chip recognises 128 steps, it only actually implements 28, so you increase the speed four or five steps before there's a change in motor sound.

I've also just installed a fuse into my DCC power box. I'll be installing them in my control panels as well, to protect the expensive electronic bits!
Tony

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here