!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Which version of the Sentinel would you consider ordering?

SDJR Version
12 (52.2%)
7109 Version
10 (43.5%)
7109 and SDJR Versions
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Sentinel 0-4-0 Body Kit  (Read 16823 times)

Offline RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Sentinel 0-4-0 Body Kit
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2017, 05:11:30 pm »
I'm thinking I'm completely confused about the whole resistor issue, so I hope there will be some instructions included for the dim of electronics!

I hope so too. I've been following, but not following, Big bad John's and ntpntpntp's musings. But they keep straying of electrickery to talk about Zener Warrior Princess. :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:13:16 pm by RailGooner »
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: April 26, 2017, 05:31:06 pm »
I'm thinking I'm completely confused about the whole resistor issue, so I hope there will be some instructions included for the dim of electronics!

I hope so too. I've been following, but not following, Big bad John's and ntpntpntp's musings. But they keep straying of electrickery to talk about Zener Warrior Princess. :D

I did do some testing on DC with resistors and found that a 220 ohm resistor gave the best results but any value between 150 ohm and 330 ohm half watt should work ok but as a safety margin I personally would use a one watt resistor if there is room to fit it in.
I doubt I could fit the Warrior Princess into the Sentinel but I do have a space at home where she would fit very well  :drool:

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2017, 05:45:10 pm »
I did do some testing on DC with resistors and found that a 220 ohm resistor gave the best results but any value between 150 ohm and 330 ohm half watt should work ok but as a safety margin I personally would use a one watt resistor if there is room to fit it in.
I doubt I could fit the Warrior Princess into the Sentinel but I do have a space at home where she would fit very well  :drool:

I understood 'Warrior Princess'...

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2017, 05:51:28 pm »
 :laughabovepost:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline ijmsmith

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2017, 05:57:43 pm »
Zena - you can't resist 'er!

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2017, 08:47:24 am »
CarriageShed all you do is cut one of the wires to the motor and solder in the resistor that Alex will supply with the kit.
Be carefull the wire is very thin and you can easily break it.
You could just de solder one wire from the chassis and solder the resistor between .
The only reason I do it in the wire is so you can move the resistor around out of sight.
Bob Tidbury
Just had a thought , forgot to say put a tiny bit of insulation tape round the bare wires.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:03:06 pm by Bob Tidbury »

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2017, 10:09:38 am »
CarriageShed all you do is cut one of the wires to the motor and solder in the resistor that Alex will supply with the kit.
Be carefull the wire is very thin and you can easily break it.
You could just de solder one wire from the chassis and solder the resistor between .
The only reason I do it in the wire is so you can move the resistor aroun out of sight.
Bob Tidbury

That's the clearest explanation I've seen all year. Thanks Bob. Now I need to practice with the soldering iron. Sometimes my soldering can show promise and sometimes it can be scarier than the Exorcist.

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2017, 11:59:44 am »
Dont worry I know exactly what you mean ,My modelling and kit building is just the same, somethings turn out OK and some I try and forget about but at least I have a go. My painting is really hit or miss  I have one that I just couldnt get right it was an unusual three car unit which now hides in the carriage shed but again at least I tried I think I have stripped it down at least three times now.
Ray is allways taking the mickey out of my attempts but Ive never even seen him finish anything in the 35 years Ive known him so I dont take any notice now.
But when I show my wife my latest attempt even she has occasionally  said that looks nice which coming from Val is indeed a compliment ,and believe me I dont get many nowadays.
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:03:54 pm by Bob Tidbury »

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2017, 10:24:31 am »
 :bounce: My Sentinel kit has arrived this morning and I'm very impressed with it and the fancy packaging so  :thankyousign: Alex. Now the head scratching begins with how to fit a decoder diodes and extra weight into it. It's got even less room inside than I imagined from the drawing but I'm still in with a chance with the DCX 77L chip. I'm off to get my magnifying glass and microscope out now.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2017, 12:59:54 pm »
Alex Bob and My kits have arrived and they are fantastic.  Yes we will need magnifying glasses  :D

I will drop Bobs over to him ASAP.
 :thankyousign:

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2017, 02:34:47 pm »
Mine's here too. On first sight the detail looks superb. My head did a sort of 'oh no' when I saw the information leaflet, which stated 'Joyce' and showed round cab windows, but I quickly recovered when I saw that the body itself had the S&D square windows.

There are no instructions for detailing the kit or for the resistor, though. Thanks to Bob (see above) we know what to do with the resistor but, one day, this thread may not be available while copies of the kit could be circulating for years, ala Highfield, so some detail would be a good idea with any second edition releases.

Overall though, top marks for kit presentation and packaging, as well as communication through this thread. When you've finished being all academic, Alex, I'm sure we could all keep you busy for years with suggestions for more kits.

Offline fisherman

• Awards
« Reply #236 on: April 29, 2017, 04:01:14 pm »
...mine  is here too!!!

enrolled  on   brain  surgery course...

looks  superb!!
<o({{{<<

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: April 29, 2017, 06:30:37 pm »
Hi Alex

Mine has arrived too. I have assembled it with the chassis, and run it on a test track with a Gaugemaster series U simulation controller, with about 75% brakes applied to give the added resistance required.

Very nice. I think that although I ordered the moulded handrails, I might in fact remove them and get some handrails from N brass and add them to give it more "character".

The short wheelbase chassis has a tendency to hunt, because there is such a large overhang front and rear, but permanent coupling to a match truck or similar will help enormously.

I have not fitted couplings yet, but Joyce has pushed six old fashioned Peco TTAs and a Peco conflat, without any ballast added.
I've attached some photos to give some idea of the size, including next to a Terrier, the smallest RTR loco currently available, to show just how small this loco is.

Well done Alex!

Bob

Offline fisherman

• Awards
« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2017, 04:31:31 pm »
...darn it.. ( or words to that  effect).....

I've  just  dropped  a handrail  knob on  the floor......

good  job  there are 20 in  the pack...

WD  AR   ...good thinking...
<o({{{<<

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2017, 06:28:44 pm »
I've been testing out my preferred coupling - an ELC (Elsie) coupling salvaged from an old Peco 15' chassis.
The reason being is the loco is small and light, and I believe that NEC couplings don't have the free movement that an Elsie does.

The coupling pads that Alex has provided make the couplings sit a little low, so I think the pads will need to be reduced in thickness and maybe the coupling bar will need a notch taken out of it, or a slot cut in the buffer beam to allow vertical movement, but all in good time.

Those wondering where to put ballast weight - well it should be low down, and there is a lot of space between the ELC coupler pockets and the chassis, currently occupied by blu-tac in my photos (and there would not be so much space with an NEM pocket).

I recommend that kit builders sort out their preferred coupling solution before adding the detailing like handrails.

If you are wondering why the red background, well I couldn't find anything else that allowed both black plastic and clear FUD to have sufficient contrast together. Thank you Santander!

What fun!

Bob

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here