Comments About Forum. Formerly:- apt

Started by 3rdboxcar, March 08, 2017, 07:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rdboxcar

Hi Guys

I seem to have broken the forum rules, being an american modeller I am used to posting on US forums where they are only too glad of updates of models I and others have in the pipeline. It is also great for designers to get things right by using the forums as a sounding board.

I have removed the offending post.

Since being the designer and seller [even at a loss]I cannot see how I can comply with the forums rules, therefor I cannot give you any further information.

Alexander

njee20

This is a really interesting project, I was discussing it with a friend earlier, may I suggest you post it on the 3D printing forum on RMWeb, I for one would like to follow it, and you'll be allowed to post information there!

KiraKat

Quote from: njee20 on March 08, 2017, 07:21:34 PM
This is a really interesting project, I was discussing it with a friend earlier, may I suggest you post it on the 3D printing forum on RMWeb, I for one would like to follow it, and you'll be allowed to post information there!

Seconded! Its a shame you doing all the hard work without getting some views on it!

njee20

Thanks for the clarification Paul, I had assumed this was for similar reasons to Arran's KTA announcement, which wasn't allowed as it was "advertising".

I, for one, would encourage any and all manufacturers to post (be they a one man cottage industry or a major industry player), but understand with the Trojan you were held 'responsible' to a degree because people assume the forum endorses models. Personally, I think that's an odd assumption, but appreciate you're in an invidious position.

Sprintex

Quote from: njee20 on March 08, 2017, 07:31:06 PM
I, for one, would encourage any and all manufacturers to post (be they a one man cottage industry or a major industry player),

Easy to say, but at the risk of repeating what was said before, if you let all-and-sundry advertise for free how would you pay for the server space, etc when all your paying advertisers refuse to pay up due to unfairness? The donations ordinary members make to forum funds help to keep it going, and we're thankful for every penny, but we need the paying advertisers as well otherwise there is no NGF.

Paul

KiraKat

I can understand that it does make sense if I ever got around to putting my models up I'd totally be up for giving some of the profit to the forum!

njee20

I missed "to post updates" in there, I obviously wouldn't suggest the forum is a free-for-all of stealth adverts, but I personally don't see what bad comes from posts like this including links (aside from Paul's valid point), it's clearly a non-commercial enterprise with interest.

Anyway, I'll leave it there.

3rdboxcar

The only thing i asked politely was for you not to post prices and links to purchasing the items, ..... Yes - nowhere on my post was a link. Strangely if I look at the thread "Shapeways - useful links" it seems to me anyway to contradict no advertising.

at no point were you told that you couldnt have an APT thread @3rdboxcar ...... Yes.... but how could I have a thread and not refer to the fact that I am the designer and seller!!!!

I also pointed out that you could indeed advertise if you wanted to peddle your items here. .... No  - I suggest you read what you wrote to me.

I feel the need to share with you all, as the statement above by the OP posted is quite untrue.... is it? - I suggest you read the above line before making false statements

and being a little more careful towards our members after the Trojan issue... I wish I had the time to write such a detailed post as some kind of trojan issue.

The mods are damned if we do and damned if we dont it would seem! ..... Easy to say when you are a moderator and make a public statement taht does not match what you sent privately.

Tank

Quote"Please read the forum rules and regulations, due to some unfortunate issues recently, only bonafide traders are allowed to sell and advertise their products on this site.

Whilst posting pictures and threads relating to your work is acceptable, prices and any links to third party selling sites are not unless you are an "advertiser"

Nobody said that you had posted a link, it was advice.  You did however include prices in your thread which is against our Code of Conduct.

If you have a problem then you are more than welcome to resolve it with me via PM.

StufromEGDL

3rd boxcar,

Despite your interaction with the moderators over whether you broke the rules and by how much, please don't be disheartened as there are many of us out there looking forward to seeing progress and the possibility of your project coming to fruition. Whilst it is not for me to set policy for the forum, I am dismayed that this has degenerated from a worthwhile and interesting project to a public slanging match.

I truly hope that you continue the progression of the project and can find a way to regale us with tales of progress and success...as I, for one, remain a supporter of your APT-P project.....more power to your CAD!!

Best Regards,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

cornish trains jez

Quote from: StufromEGDL on March 08, 2017, 10:35:53 PM
3rd boxcar,

Despite your interaction with the moderators over whether you broke the rules and by how much, please don't be disheartened as there are many of us out there looking forward to seeing progress and the possibility of your project coming to fruition. Whilst it is not for me to set policy for the forum, I am dismayed that this has degenerated from a worthwhile and interesting project to a public slanging match.

I truly hope that you continue the progression of the project and can find a way to regale us with tales of progress and success...as I, for one, remain a supporter of your APT-P project.....more power to your CAD!!

Best Regards,
Stu from EGDL.

Agree with this. I'm really looking forward to seeing this project progress and do hope you post further updates. Perhaps the moderators could apply some common sense when upholding the code of conduct. Perhaps this could be considered in the future.

Anyway, looking forward to the next exciting instalment!

Keep up the good work 3rd boxcar!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Sprintex

Quote from: cornish trains jez on March 08, 2017, 10:44:17 PM
Perhaps the moderators could apply some common sense when upholding the code of conduct.

If you have a problem with the Code of Conduct kindly take it up with Tank instead of throwing cheap insults at the Moderating Team.

Paul

Tank

Perhaps the moderators could apply some common sense when upholding the code of conduct. Perhaps this could be considered in the future.

Could you please explain this to me?  :scowl:  If the rules are not followed then we just turn a blind eye to it?!  We didn't delete the post, the OP did after receiving a Private Message the next morning.

We're happy to allow all projects and have supported many.  A private discussion which was instigated could have solved all of this being put on the main forum.  I happily support cottage industries and anyone who makes models for no profit.  I think we were the first to support Project Railway Honour and Revolution without asking for a penny, as well as many other smaller projects.

It clearly says in numerous places not to advertise without permission, so just ask. :thumbsup:

Again, happy to talk about it, and if it's not for profit then there will be no issue.

cornish trains jez

Quote from: Tank on March 09, 2017, 07:06:15 AM
Perhaps the moderators could apply some common sense when upholding the code of conduct. Perhaps this could be considered in the future.

Again, happy to talk about it, and if it's not for profit then there will be no issue.

Tank,

If you had read the post correctly by the OP you would you would have noted that he mentioned that he would be at a loss regardless so clearly not looking to make a profit. Also the price he quoted was more of a suggested price than a firm advert to offer the product at that price so clearly not advertising. If he had added links to each product then I agree under the rules that would be taking the biscuit.
While I agree rules need to be adhered to, I still believe that each case should be looked at individually and judged seperately, thus applying common sense by the moderators.

Anyway, enough said, let's hope 3rd boxcar continues to post updates here.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Tank

I really don't know how I can become clearer:-

QuoteWe do not allow businesses to sell or advertise their goods on the forum without permission from the Admins - unless they are already paying to advertise on the forum.

Members JUST need to send me a PM to discuss it.  That is the rule!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations