!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: First layout - Weardale sawmill  (Read 4312 times)

Offline PeteW

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: First layout - Weardale sawmill
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 05:50:44 pm »
Steamie and Byegad - thanks for the input. All advice is gratefully received and duly noted.

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, suffering with a bout of vertigo that hit about 10 days ago and won't quit. I'm fine if I sit with head still, but any head movement or walking around and I'm in danger of losing my last meal :-X. So the thought of bending over the dining table to set up a test loop holds little appeal at the moment. On the other hand, I have a partial trackplan in SCARM but I need to put some real track together so I can actually see the space for platforms and buildings.

On yet another hand, I am building up my library. Have been perusing a couple of books by Saint Cyril and Iain Rice, and the Peco/RM 'Guide to N Gauge Railway Modelling' (another shout-out to our very Elvinley for making the cover of that one!) So I'm itching to lay track and run trains but having to be very patient.  >:( <- me being very patient

Offline greenlaneman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25444
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2017, 06:02:49 pm »
On the subject of Knightwing kits, you can still get them from BR lines WWW.brlines.co.uk.
I reason to buy one of the single track plate girder bridges to make up the set of four I need for my layout and the new one was perfect match to the existing three, except for the colour of the plastic which will not matter as all four are going to be heavily weathered/rusted.
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

Steamie+

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 06:34:34 am »
Steamie and Byegad - thanks for the input. All advice is gratefully received and duly noted.

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, suffering with a bout of vertigo that hit about 10 days ago and won't quit. I'm fine if I sit with head still, but any head movement or walking around and I'm in danger of losing my last meal :-X. So the thought of bending over the dining table to set up a test loop holds little appeal at the moment. On the other hand, I have a partial trackplan in SCARM but I need to put some real track together so I can actually see the space for platforms and buildings.

On yet another hand, I am building up my library. Have been perusing a couple of books by Saint Cyril and Iain Rice, and the Peco/RM 'Guide to N Gauge Railway Modelling' (another shout-out to our very Elvinley for making the cover of that one!) So I'm itching to lay track and run trains but having to be very patient.  >:( <- me being very patient

Sorry to hear you are not to good Pete, hope you are getting it sorted, i can see the seriousness of it really. Your health must come before anything else, really hope you can get modelling soon, i would love to hear about the how the Race To The North runs, itís a great looking loco isnít it.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2017, 03:44:37 pm »
Well, having been embarrassed by the speed with which some members have raced from planning to construction - you know who you are - I'm about to get started myself. But before we leave the planning forum, I just had a terrifying thought...

Whille I have been resolutely thinking about the layout in terms of a mid-50s branch line up in the beautiful north-east, and trying to find period-appropriate locos, it suddenly occurred to me that it is now a preserved line running all kinds of locomotives, including some guest appearances. Which means I can buy pretty much anything I want :goggleeyes:. I think I just heard the thud of my bank manager fainting.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2017, 07:20:54 pm »
I love the sawmill plan.

Can I just suggest that the addition of the South Africa set simply means a second layout is needed!

:laugh3:

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 07:59:11 pm »
So, after wrestling with what I want from the layout, and the limitations of both space and the Kato Unitrack geometry, here's the latest plan:

At the bottom we have the station (roughly based on Wolsingham in Weardale) with loco shed, station and goods shed (I know it never had a loco shed, but it was the first thing I bought as a test so its going in!). The siding at the top will serve the sawmill, which will occupy most of the space to the left-hand side. As per the prototype, there'll be a river running across the middle of the layout (Wolsingham station is jammed between high ground to the south and the river Wear, which loops around the station to the north). A road bridge will cross the line at lower right, leading to the goods/coal yard.

The whole plan is flipped horizontally from the actual station, for one very good reason - I have more left-hand points than right-hand and this is the only way I could make it work :D.

Operation will largely be clockwise, with goods trains reversed into the sidings. A twin-coach passenger service will run both ways. And when the budget permits I might add another siding at the sawmill. Baseboard size is 1500x750mm (or five-foot by two-and-a-half in old money).

Any thoughts/criticisms will be gratefully received.

PS: I'm aware of the gap in the tracks at the station - running the points off the curves mean that the geometry doesn't match up with available Kato pieces so I'm planning to cut a couple of bits to fit.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 09:22:09 pm »
Looks a good plan to me.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2017, 07:43:04 am »
I like it.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2017, 08:17:59 am »
That's a very nice plan.  It'll be a lovely layout.

Kato does very handy expansion pieces that will save cutting track lengths and are reusable.  I have used these in the past and got on well with them.

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2017, 12:28:18 pm »
Kato does very handy expansion pieces that will save cutting track lengths and are reusable.  I have used these in the past and got on well with them.

Cheers John, but I'm afraid the expansion tracks are too long. The gaps are just over 40mm - I might be able to flex the layout enough to make one or more of the Kato short pieces work, but since I already have a lot of spare track it's no big deal to cut down a long straight to get the bits I need (and might provide a couple of lengths of rail to lie rusting in weeds somewhere). In fact, it just occurred to me that I could rejig it so the bottom tracks marry up and create a single gap at the top ::).

But thanks to you all for your endorsement. Looks like its time to build a railway!

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2017, 01:44:34 pm »
The gaps are just over 40mm - I might be able to flex the layout enough to make one or more of the Kato short pieces work, but since I already have a lot of spare track it's no big deal to cut down a long straight to get the bits I need

Cutting is easy enough, but it sounds as if one of the 38mm lengths (http://www.traintrax.co.uk/20092-short-straight-track-38mm-33mm-assortment-pieces-p-1386.html) would fit with very little flexing.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2017, 02:09:33 pm »
Hailing from that neck of the woods, and having conducted a geological traverse not far from  there in my college days, I look forward to developments.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 02:40:40 am »
I just got lured back to posting by the World Cup disappointment here. Although I've posted very little in a very long time, I want you to know that I check the forums every day and soak up every little bit of expertise and advise that is available.

There has been little progress on the Weardale line here for three reasons:

1. I have been in intense and difficult negotiations with Mrs W for the re-purposing of the spare bedroom for model railway purposes (she has so far held out while offering me a cold, draughty and dusty space in the integral garage!).

2. I am hindered by my lack of intestinal fortitude when it comes to landscaping, ballasting, and the other dirty, wet necessities of railway modelling.

3. I can't make up my damned mind when it comes to a roundy layout (which is my natural preference) and a linear layout which would be easier to build, easier to move, and generally just easier to live with. I've spent months bouncing between the two and I'm not really closer to a decision.

But just reviewing the encouraging response to my earlier posts has left me wracked with guilt about my lack of progress. Just wanted you all to know that I haven't given up - I just need to make a decision and get started!

Thank you all for your interest!

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 04:58:18 am »
Pete,

I won't weigh in to your #1 reason, but as far as #2 goes, I too was afraid of landscaping before I started. In the end it proved to be the most satisfying aspect of my modelling. Part of this was down to my discovering how to use extended polystyrene to form the landscape, modroc to fill in the gaps, and Scupltamold on top to form the rock faces etc. Ballasting has its own pleasure and is good for the soul provided you are not in a hurry.

On reason #3, you have to decide whether you like to see trains continuously going past, or whether you prefer shunting etc. When you say a roundy is your natural preference, then I take it that the former operation mode is what you would really like - go for it!

Webbo

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 05:42:43 am »
No need to apologise, Pete!  :thumbsup:

This ex-Durham lad is still looking forward to developments, be they straight or round.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here