!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: First layout - Weardale sawmill  (Read 4713 times)

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: First layout - Weardale sawmill
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 07:56:26 am »
Very much looking forward to seeing this develop.
Sounds interesting.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Byegad

• Account Suspended
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 10:37:11 am »
I have a couple of 0-4-0 locos, 'Borkum' made by Arnold so only available second hand and a Fleischmann, complete with spark guard on the chimney.

You can also buy chassis for 0-4-0 from several suppliers, most but not all are Japanese and there's a kit for a Sentinel Tram loco. 

Online PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 09:49:23 pm »
While I'm waiting for funds to replenish after the Christmas credit card bills came due before I can buy the small inconsequential stuff (you know, track, controller, baseboard materials), I did make a small investment in my first Metcalfe kit - the single loco shed - and spent several happy hours on Saturday afternoon putting it together. What a pleasure! I was a bit wary, never having made a card model of any kind, but was very impressed with the quality of the design and, especially, the quality of the engineering. Went together beautifully. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

In the meantime, the happy hours of research continue and one thing that came up was this:

This bridge seems to be one of the stand-out features of the Weardale railway and I really want it on my layout! But it looks as if I'll have to scratchbuild it - only the Peco plate girder sides seem readily available and their curved profile won't work (Knightwing seem to have had a kit that would have been idea but it looks as though that isn't available any more). Based on what dimensions I've been able to find for the loco, and from basic guesswork about the height of the door, I'm guessing the plates are about 5' high. But perhaps one of the members here (with more experience and/or better references) could offer an opinion on that.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:07 pm »
Perhaps the Micro-Engineering plate bridge might be of use.

http://pawstrains.com/Micro%20Engineering/40%20Open%20Deck%20Girder%20Bridge%203inch%20Long%20Item%20micro%2075151%20%20N%20.jpg

The plates are 37' long (1:148 scale) and I measure the height of the side plates on my bridge to be 4.5' (1:148 scale).

Webbo

Online PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 11:39:50 pm »
Perhaps the Micro-Engineering plate bridge might be of use.

http://pawstrains.com/Micro%20Engineering/40%20Open%20Deck%20Girder%20Bridge%203inch%20Long%20Item%20micro%2075151%20%20N%20.jpg

The plates are 37' long (1:148 scale) and I measure the height of the side plates on my bridge to be 4.5' (1:148 scale).

Webbo

Cheers, Webbo - that looks like it would be ideal as a starting point, although I'm unsure about ordering from the US (been burned with customs fees and import duty before when buying woodworking tools!) Good to know I'm in the ballpark with plate heights, though. And I think it would be a nice project - pretty much all straight lines, if somewhat fiddly in N.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 11:52:16 pm »
Hi Pete

The Micro-Engineering website tells me that EDM Models is a supplier of their gear in the UK. Might be worth contacting them about prices just for fun. I've ordered stuff directly from Micro-Engineering and this has worked out fine though here in Oz we are not liable for customs duty on low priced items such as these. At least for now.

Webbo

Steamie+

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 05:47:03 am »
Hi Pete and welcome, you certainly look like you have done your research has i did when i 1st started only January last year, like you i have now knowledge of trains of any kind at all, never went train spotting are had any interest until i fell ill last year and needed something to occupy my mind.

You layout looks great and it will i am sure turn out to be brilliant, one cheap idea for your logs could be these,

I plan to use them for supports for my Coal Mine, there are various thicknessís from very thin to about 6mm.

This is what i made for Anne for her Fairy Garden from them.

This Trellis cost me £1.50 from B&Q, you can also get them in a roll for borders for about the same price.

One bit of advice though, take your time and donít rush things, you will benefit from not rushing because mistakes are all to easy to make, has i have found to my cost.

Hope this helps to give you some ideas.          Happy Modelling      :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Online PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 01:12:32 pm »
Good tip about that trellis - the thinner stuff would provide a massive number of logs. I expect there'll be a lot of pit props produced by my sawmill.

Having said that, we have a couple of wicker baskets for laundry - I'm sure LOML wouldn't miss one of them  :uneasy: ;D

Steamie+

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 02:26:27 am »
Good tip about that trellis - the thinner stuff would provide a massive number of logs. I expect there'll be a lot of pit props produced by my sawmill.

Having said that, we have a couple of wicker baskets for laundry - I'm sure LOML wouldn't miss one of them  :uneasy: ;D

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Online PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 11:16:42 pm »
Well, three months appears to have slipped by and the wonderful MrsW has just thrown a spanner in the works. A rather marvellous spanner, but still...

I have quietly been amassing the necessary bits and pieces to get this project underway - a Kato Unitrack V5 loop, a separate controller, a couple of locomotives, all from eBay and all at bargain prices. A couple of points and bits of extra track and I'd have been ready to start experimental construction.

Twas my birthday this week and despite the fact that I carefully avoided mentioning model railways and related matters, to my utter surprise I found this waiting for me over breakfast:

Now this is obviously a fine and beautiful thing, but it doesn't half mess up my cunning plan. The impressive Union of South Africa and gorgeous teak coaches need much bigger curves than my original trackplan provides. The two loops of track provide a perfectly-matched double-loop, and having two controllers means I can run two trains at once. For someone who was utterly bereft of railway at Christmas, this is an embarrassment of riches. And married members of the forum will understand that not running the Union of South Africa is simply out of the question, even for one who planned nothing more than little industrial-type engines on a single-track branchline.

So a complete rethink is required. There will now be a period of silence broken only by the sound of much head-scratching. Bright ideas gratefully received.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 11:39:19 pm »
A wonderful gift, though, whichever way you look at it.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 11:14:48 am »
Hi Pete, regarding your possible plate girder bridge. You might consider researching using plastruct sections to scratch build something. There are a whole range of columns, I beams and angle irons. My limited experience has been good. They are good quality and easy to work with.

Online PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 11:50:45 pm »
Keith, thanks for the suggestion. I need to take a close look at what's available in Plastruct/Evergreen/Other ranges. I have browsed a couple of the bigger modelling supplies websites and my first impression was that most of the available cross-sectional stuff (like I-beams, girders and so on) is rather significantly overscale for N. Of course, the thinner sheet material (in 10, 20 and 30-thou thicknesses) is fine.

On the upside, I did come across some ladders and handrails that are actually a bit underscale (1/200 if I remember) but would probably work and be much quicker than scratchbuilding something.

The lack of a final-ish trackplan is what's holding me back at the moment. I don't want to build a bridge before I know pretty much how wide the span has to be!

Steamie+

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 08:42:33 am »
Keith, thanks for the suggestion. I need to take a close look at what's available in Plastruct/Evergreen/Other ranges. I have browsed a couple of the bigger modelling supplies websites and my first impression was that most of the available cross-sectional stuff (like I-beams, girders and so on) is rather significantly overscale for N. Of course, the thinner sheet material (in 10, 20 and 30-thou thicknesses) is fine.

On the upside, I did come across some ladders and handrails that are actually a bit underscale (1/200 if I remember) but would probably work and be much quicker than scratchbuilding something.

The lack of a final-ish trackplan is what's holding me back at the moment. I don't want to build a bridge before I know pretty much how wide the span has to be!

Keith is correct there Pete, plastruct is great stuff to work with, thats what i used for my curved bridge on Roedann Viaduct, it is fairly easy to bend if thats what you want is a curve or even a straight, have a look Pete and buy a piece and see what you think, if it doesít look right you could use it for something else, thats what i do with anything i buy, if itís doesnít do the job i want it for, it can always be used for something else so nothing is wasted really.  Happy Modelling Pete.  :thumbsup:

Offline Byegad

• Account Suspended
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 03:00:16 pm »
I have no idea how 0-4-0/0-6-0s run through Kato No.4 points so can't advise on that. 0-4-0s may be hard to find in N :hmmm:
The layout itself looks a great blank canvas for some serious scenic work but I reckon it will take a humungous amount of trees to bring it to life.

I can help with the running. 0-4-0s and 0-6-0s will easily cope with the #4 points, however backing peco axled wagons over them may be an issue. As you can't tinker with the back to back setting on the Nylon axle/wheel casting some extra check rails to ensure clean running when pushed. Pulled over the points there'll be no issue. I've found that wherever you anticipate shunting a straight before the point is a big help and, more importantly, getting the back to back setting just right will ensure other stock will shunt in either direction perfectly.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here