!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tram direction question  (Read 1893 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Tram direction question
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:07:52 pm »
Hi all,

Maybe a silly question but I know nothing about trams.

I bought a 2 car Kato (german) tram about 3 years ago and want to incorporate it on my layout. It'll just come in to the station from a tunnel on one track and then out again on same track.

I just wondered if trams have to go pantograph first and therefore it would have to turn round somehow?

This is it.....

http://www.johanvoermans.nl/images/source/ka14633.jpg

Not majorly important but would be nice to know.

Thanks for any interest.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline JasonBz

• Awards
Re: Tram direction question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 02:13:11 pm »
Pretty sure that trams with pantographs can go either way.

Old fashioned trolley pole ones had to be switched around at the terminus with a very long stick!

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:36:21 pm »
some trams were single ended and went round a turning loop at end of the line.

if it's a kato 4 wheel tram and trailer then I presume it would need to run round the trailer at the terminus, or if the motor coach is single ended (driving controls just at one end) then it would need a turning loop.

Tim

Offline keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:57:24 pm »
I would presume that if the tram has driving compartments at both ends it won't need to turn round.

Offline bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:45:57 pm »
yes if got controls at each end the driver just changes ends and it goes back.  it may need to run round a trailer if it has one though. a bow collector or trolley pole need changing too so they face the right way. a pantograph doesn't move though.

hope that makes sense!

Tim

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 07:30:27 pm »
Thanks guys,

Bluedepot. Please don't take this the wrong way but there is a picture of it in the OP.

Yes it has a non motorised, as in the model, trailer but I know nothing about trams so could it be driven from that end in real life because you say 'may need to run round a trailer'. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers for future help, weave :beers:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:35:49 pm »
Hi Bluedepot,

Sorry, Think you were answering other's posts. Not sure, just got in from walking dogs and freezing/confused.

Cheers again for help  :doh:

Offline edwin_m

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:39:20 pm »
Some tram trailers do have driving controls but I don't know about the type pictured.  I suspect it doesn't, as the trailer doesn't appear to have a destination indicator so probably won't ever be the front. 

I doubt the trailer would ever be "run round".  Any tram route having trailers without driving controls would also have "balloon loops" to reverse the tram+trailer anywhere the service needed to terminate. 

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 10:01:58 pm »
The tram in the picture in the OP looks like one of the smaller Deuags, and we are looking at a Motor+trailer combination.

These came in all sorts of variants - the motors came as single or double ended (does the motor have doors on the other side? if yes its probably a double ended car, if no its single ended). The trailers could be without controls, with full controls or shunt-only controls. Only those with full controls could be used in service trailer leading, and even for those it was rare, trailer operation was mostly confined to routes with terminal loops.

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 02:08:44 am »
The set you have is a German Dwag 1950s tram and trailer. Most European 2-axle trams usually had controls at both ends (though not  exclusively). However, as a set coupled together the tram would have to be detached from the trailer and run round at a stub terminus, or stay coupled if the terminus is a balloon return loop.

Different European networks favour different terminus layouts. A return loop means that trams only need doors on one side, and some systems stuck with this for years as it made more room in the tram , but in recent years loops have been going out of favour, and thus many trams  now built have doors on both sides.

The system most closely associated with my family, Geneva, currently has a mixture and the network has gone full circle. In the 'old' days trams were 'double ended' and there were stub termini. With the late 1940s tram modernisation in Switzerland, the Swiss standard tram (70 years on the last versions are only just being withdrawn from Basel's network!) came into use and the major cities installed loops at termini to cater for these trams which only had controls at one end.

(son of a leading tramway expert)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:18:50 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline 70000

• N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 07:33:42 am »
I've got one of their HO versions of that tram/trailer set, and there are no control desks fitted in the trailer car, neither is it fitted with a headlight. If the N one doesn't have a headlight, I would take it that it is purely an trailer that would need to be run round by the motor car at the terminus or turned using a loop.

However, as it's a model, is anyone going to care/notice if you run it in both directions without doing that!

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 09:02:05 am »
Is it not a question of are there windscreen wipers at both ends of each car, thereby determining where the control positions are?
We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 11:57:12 am »
I think we should all go on a visit to a tram museum in Germany somewhere that has one of these trams to get the definitive answer and go for a ride!

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 01:24:51 pm »
I think we should all go on a visit to a tram museum in Germany somewhere that has one of these trams to get the definitive answer and go for a ride!

Picture posted in the gallery section of one at Wuppertal museum in 2009, although it didn't have a trailer.

Can't work out how you insert it in a message !

Edit - link to former DDR Gotha cars in Woltersdorf which ran with unpowered trailers up to a few years ago..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/72399068@N08/15364053849/in/album-72157629139713466/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:05:19 am by 70000 »

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 01:29:24 pm »
Also just posted one of the Polish version, an N class tram, with trailer, which is used in Katowice on weekends/holidays during the summer.
No control gear, other than a handbrake, in that one, from memory

EDIT - easier to post a link to Flikr here.....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/72399068@N08/14743278251/in/album-72157629504265685/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:00:09 am by 70000 »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything